Fantastic Four reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is Jack Black is starring in it.

Oh, well in that case...

biz_stocks072609_77423a_8col.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=108297

Not much is known about The Fantastic Four beyond its ensemble cast, grounded direction, and recently-delayed release date, but the guys at Schmoes Knows have come through with exclusive plot info and some potential spoilers. The first of three key details confirms pretty much what everyone has already assumed regarding Michael B. Jordan and Kate Mara playing siblings, Johnny and Sue Storm. "Well, we have heard from our source that it is actually Mara’s Sue Storm who is adopted in the film, with her and Michael B. Jordan’s parents being African American," says the source. This was also implied when Reg E. Cathey was cast as their dad, Dr. Franklin Storm.

Moving along and into spoiler territory, the next reveals, vaguely, how the Fantastic Four will get their superhpowers in the Josh Trank-directed movie, which seems to be heavily influenced by the "Ultimate Fantastic Four" comics. "In the film, the team will gain their powers through a lab experiment gone wrong in a way, where they create a portal to another world or dimension (its not clear) and they get their powers after the exposure to this other dimension/planet." That is quite different from the Tim Story-directed Fantastic Four movie, which had the heroes and Dr. Doom gain their superhuman abilities through a scientific, outer space mission gone wrong. Anyhow, last but least, Schmoes Knows' source reckons that, unlike most superhero movies, Marvel's First Family's 2015 reboot will be "VERY character driven," with much focus on the relationships between Reed Richards (Miles Teller), Ben Grimm (Jamie Bell), Johnny Storm (Jordan), Sue Storm (Mara), and their eventual enemy Victor von Doom (Toby Kebbell). What do you think?

Directed by Josh Trank, The Fantastic Four is now scheduled to be released on August 7, 2015.
Read more at https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=108297#smBkpWEuG1VUB2Dj.99

why does this feel like the 1994 un released film all over again. this seems more like a cheap ploy at keeping the rights at the studio more then a fully realized film.

Impossible to gauge the quality of the story. Actors seem capable enough. Doom looks beyond ridiculous, but so did the future X-Men in DOFP, and it was the best comic movie of the year. "Found footage" concept seems questionable, but it could work. I'll reserve judgment as I do in most cases. Be damn hard to be worse than the Tim Story movies, or Man of Steel.

Will have to wait to see the promotional art and trailers, but I doubt very much this is a marketing ploy to hold on to the rights despite the fact that production seemed rushed (I had hoped it was the case). I actually think this is FOX and Trank trying out a different take on the franchise and targeting the YA market instead of the core comic reader audience, figuring they will likely get some kind of a blend. While I am not a fan of the cast and direction by any stretch of the imagination, I can at least see their reasoning and it could prove to be a viable strategy. The first two FF movies performed subpar at best. Sure the story, direction and casting were all sorely lacking, but even if FOX had poured a bucketload of money into the movie, gotten a better director, a great story, a top notch cast and created a CGI Thing as they should have, would it have done that much better? Look at Green Lantern. I personally think Marvel's Fantastic Four in the hands of a good studio and director could be a blockbuster. However FOX is probably figuring that they have gone the classic route twice to no great avail and so rather than a simple reboot they are going to try a new direction. If the movie tanks, then I'd guess they'll offer to sell the license back as opposed to simply letting it lapse. However, if the movie performs great or even very good, then you'll have another X-Men situation and the license will be locked up with FOX for the foreseeable future. It's an unfortunate situation, not only in terms of the movie but with FF merchandise and comics, but that's how business works.

I don't imagine Fox thinks those other movies failed because they took the "classic" approach. Or at least, I hope that isn't what they think, because it would be foolish. But modern comic movies in general typically do borrow heavily from "modern" updates of stories/teams/characters, and so it just feels like they're following convention to me.

These guys REALLY need one good film - it's just a series of disappointing reveals one after the next.

Those four they've gone with would be better suited to Sesame Street.

Then there's DR. D'OHm..

I'm hoping this will be the opposite of the DC/WB strategy:

DC/WB: Gets all the superficial stuff right (good casting, great fight scenes), lacks good stories or effective drama.

If the superficial stuff is wrong but the story still works, then I'll be happy.

Speaking of the old films, their 'Galactus' was kinda like WB/DC's 'Parallax'.

Just imagine if Ryan Reynolds played Reed Richards - their names are similar. :panic: :lol

Back