Fantastic Four reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reed Richards? Did you ever read a Marvel comic with him in it? He was one of the most distinctive and important characters in Marvel for pretty much the entire period I paid attention to, but particularly in the '60s. The unquestioned leader of the FF, one of the most brilliant minds on the planet, a guy everyone looks up to as a leader and thinker, and sought for assistance. He was instrumental in defeating nearly every villain the FF ever faced, and was the primary foil for the most important villain in the history of Marvel--almost every time he acts, Doom is driven to one-up and humiliate Reed.

I can only see your argument making sense if someone hasn't read many of the comics he was in, since the FF haven't been favorably portrayed in other media.

I don't know that Namor should be a lead in a movie, at least not right away. But I would say the same for about 95% of Marvel characters. To carry a movie means you have to be able to put butts in seats. He's not one of the 4 or 5 major characters, and he's not part of Marvel Studios (which has earned the reputation where they can take left field risks), so he would have to be established in movies before that could happen. But he was a great, iconic Marvel character. He's as deserving as Silver Surfer, Black Panther, Black Widow, Daredevil, or any number of other "B" characters. But again, you would have have some understanding of his history and role in comics to get that argument.

I'm plenty aware of Reed's placement in the MU, an Namor's shrinking one, but another way of saying what you did about him is that he's the most consistently dependable deus ex machina the MU has. Not that there haven't been great stories where he's involved. But he's a bit too convenient.
I'm not a fan of Fantastic 4, though, so my view of most things in their corner isn't very positive as you can see. :D

Not that it's going to happen soon so it's all moot, but, like I said, Namor could work as part of an ensemble onscreen. Although I don't think The Defenders would be very likely either.
I just can't see him carrying a film. Ever.

I'm sure your argument makes sense in your head. There are many examples of seemingly arrogant and unlikable characters that have been extremely successful. Richard Gere in an officer and a gentleman, Cruise in Top Gun, Dr House.. and on and on.
You don't like the character so therefore no one does, despite the fact he has been a solid piece of comic books for 75 years.
Wanting to tear the wings off his ankles displays your inability to be objective. If you made an argument that his title didn't last consistently would be more convincing.

I didn't think it needed to be said that his titles fail. There are usually good reasons for that.
It's certainly not about mere arrogance. Namor has an absolute lack of humility, something which all your examples, and those named by others, do in fact have to varying degrees. He has no capacity for empathy either.
If my objectivity is in question, I think it could be said for you as well for failing to acknowledge that important difference.

I detest Tony Stark and Iron Man. I loathe everything he is in the comics. But I'm happy to admit that what he became onscreen is quite good and I believe the success is well earned by all involved. Part of the keys to that success was playing on his fallibility, his humanity, his humility.
They can't "Thor" the Sub-Mariner and teach him humility. We'll never get a "I got no place else to go!" moment from him.

:clap

Good response to a post that smelled alot like troll.
I've noticed in my short time here that "troll" is a synonymous label for anyone who has a different opinion from the larger view, particularly if it comes from a newer member.

If they go potraying the protagonist as a complete a-hole has the problem of him being unlikeable, since your like that why should I care about you?

But if the studio can find a ground thats relatable and building upon something lets say what Namor believes in, like fighting for Atlantis, I'm sure audiences would be drawn in.

Often when he fights for Atlantis, it's at the detriment of the surface world and humans. And lord knows no one wants another preachy environmentalist movie about conservation and protecting our oceans.
That's why his reach and potential are limited. Humans are likely going to be the main enemy for him. It's not like aliens from another world would invade Atlantis and ignore the surface inhabitants. Plus, they just did that in the Avengers movie.
Can't be giant monsters from the deep chasms, we just had Pacific Rim and Godzilla is coming.
It'd most likely have to be nuclear waste, human waste and garbage, or something to do with humans mucking up his world. And it would inevitably become the same message we've seen played out countless times before.

Sure, they could establish his entire world down there leaving humans out of it completely, and come up with some threat among his own people, but that's not a great place to start with him either. At least not if they want to make money, which is what it's all about in the first place.

^
110 minutes of Namor smacking sushi and vending machine whale eyeball ice cream out of people's hands and calling them names that haven't been used since 1873. I'd watch that. :D

There should be more than enough evidence, probably even in just my first post, to make even the hint of that possibility absolutely ridiculous on every level. :D

WOTT-FP-013.jpg

weird choice for doom, specially if they wanted some titties on the villain. :lol

then again....april foools.

Back