Fantastic Four reboot

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For crying out loud everytime one of these movies come up and a black actor or actresses name is floated fanboys start whining like babies. If you have a problem with the casting, don't go see the movie. I'm sure the millions who do won't miss you. I have heard the "cast Black Panther as white" snide remarks ad naseum. Guess what, it ain't gonna happen. That would be like casting Charlie Chan with a white guy. Oh yeah, they did that... but it was back in the 50s. Minorities were grossly underrepresented in comics for decades. Many of today's movie makers and the studios want a film that will both reflect the source material and appeal to a broad and diverse international, multicultural and multiracial audience. Personally I'm against recasting main roles against race, but I do support recasting supporting roles to reflect diversity. How many people knew what a Heimdall was before Thor outside of a hundred thousand or so comic readers, and most of them didn't care that he was played by a black actor. Just the vocal, narrow-minded yahoos. But by the same token, I wouldn't want to see Beyonce as Wonder Woman. My guess is this will be cast pretty much close to cannon, with an all white central family unit--Waspy Reed, and blonde haired, blue-eyed Sue and Johnny--as I'd prefer to see it. It's possible Ben Grimm could be recharacterized as a minority (I'd read they considered making Ben black in the Ultimate FF), but I don't think so and hopefully Thing will be CGI once he's transformed, so it will mostly be performance capture and voiceover anyway. As for Terry Crews, I'd rather see him as Luke Cage (he could even cameo in FF). While I really hope they assemble a great cast that look the part (such as a teenaged Johnny), the most important thing will be putting together a great story.

Do you find it pandering when people come across as saying "he should play this black character because he's blck and it fits"

Whereas with a white actor it's because "he's a good actor that could pull off the characterisation of the character"

If you get my meaning.

No its pandering when the studio is trying to appeal to a certain demographic just because the actor is a certain complexion.
Michael Keaton was grossly miscast as Batman. Did a great job as an actor but was physically not believable. I wasn't thrilled that Jackman was too tall to be Wolverine.
These aren't characters in a normal action movie. These characters have been established for 50 years, and fans have an expectation to see the character they are used to. Its certainly not a racial component since Dwayne Johnson certainly draws an audience.
Like it or not characters have certain characteristics and fans expect to see and all the acting in the world cannot make you fit that physical trait.
I was disappointed to see Idris Elba as Heimdall because I felt there were black characters who need a black actor and there aren't a lot of black actors that can pull off the physical representation of the role such as Bishop. I don't want to see Will Smith as Black Panther. I would like to see them find an African actor to represent a super intelligent bad *** African king so he has a believable accent. I like Terry Crews as Luke Cage because of his physical appearance and he has the attitude for it. Halle Berry was a poor choice for Storm who should have been 6' and exotic.
My opinion is that you should look for an actor that fits the role, and has the ability to portray the character. If you can't find a physical match (race, size, age) then you start your second string choices.
Comic book characters were predominantly white in the early years because that was the target demographic in the late sixties and seventies it changed dramatically. There is no vast conspiracy, no deep seeded racism. Just a desire for the characters they know to resemble the classic character.

No its pandering when the studio is trying to appeal to a certain demographic just because the actor is a certain complexion.
Michael Keaton was grossly miscast as Batman. Did a great job as an actor but was physically not believable. I wasn't thrilled that Jackman was too tall to be Wolverine.
These aren't characters in a normal action movie. These characters have been established for 50 years, and fans have an expectation to see the character they are used to. Its certainly not a racial component since Dwayne Johnson certainly draws an audience.
Like it or not characters have certain characteristics and fans expect to see and all the acting in the world cannot make you fit that physical trait.
I was disappointed to see Idris Elba as Heimdall because I felt there were black characters who need a black actor and there aren't a lot of black actors that can pull off the physical representation of the role such as Bishop. I don't want to see Will Smith as Black Panther. I would like to see them find an African actor to represent a super intelligent bad *** African king so he has a believable accent. I like Terry Crews as Luke Cage because of his physical appearance and he has the attitude for it. Halle Berry was a poor choice for Storm who should have been 6' and exotic.
My opinion is that you should look for an actor that fits the role, and has the ability to portray the character. If you can't find a physical match (race, size, age) then you start your second string choices.
Comic book characters were predominantly white in the early years because that was the target demographic in the late sixties and seventies it changed dramatically. There is no vast conspiracy, no deep seeded racism. Just a desire for the characters they know to resemble the classic character.

Good points but Hollywood execs and GENERAL public don't give a %$&* about legacy and traditions in the comics.........they want names and demographics...

Good points Anzik.

Terry Crews said he'd like to play The Thing or Colossus because he likes those characters.

The commentors are telling him he isn't allowed because he isn't the right colour, now for the most part this isn't racist, if Clint Eastwood said he'd love to play Hal Jordan he'd be told he isn't the right age.

They instead say play one of these characters, not because of your acting skills but solely because you're the right colour for them.

If i was him i wouldn't like to be told that i could only play a select few characters whereas a caucasian actor could play one of hundreds.

Ahhhh, but it wasn't called The Ultimates :lol

Clark Duncan is another example though.

I actually had zero issue with Duncan playing Kingpin. The man, save his skin color, was perfect for the role. Having some white dude padded up like Blob was in Origins, would've been absolutely ****ing horrid. And anybody who wanted to see that should have their head examined.

Crews as Grimm is fine. Race isn't really an issue given after the first 10min he's orange rocks. And as long as he has acting chops and the needed comedic timing for the quips with Johnny, that's all that matters. Crews has both.

As long as it's a GOOD MOVIE OVERALL I don't care about race swap.

Cuz so far I don't care about cinematic future of F4.

Er I guess...Cuatro...I don't know. I don't speak spanish

Burgundy3.jpg

"The ever-lovin' BLUE eyed Thing"...wait what? How about they don't pick Crews just on the fact that he can't act. People are so goofy these days. :cuckoo:

Back