Fallout 3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry but that's a turn off for me. I understand why some people love games like Oblivion, but I'm not one of them. I like to have some linear progression like Fable or Zelda. Just my personal preferences.

Yep than you may or may not like this. If you didn't like Oblivion than this isn't a game for you. Strange though that you liked Mass Effect so much. That is pretty much the same style of play.

Hey all, if you could, I just want to clarify a couple of game points that frustrated me about my inital game time with Fallout 3 last night, but I do forget this is a 'turn based RPG'

Fighting: I started shooting by just pointing my gun and firing - which lead to me using an entire clip to drop one dude THEN I remembered about the VAULTS way - which was much better....I would shoot, then quickly push the button to do it again - sometimes I could, sometimes not. Initially I thought it was do to running out of ammo.

As of now, I assume that when you use VAULTS, you have to allow the other character the opportunity to attack first, before you do it twice? In other words, I cannot use Vaults to fire off two shots in a row? (I am not sure on this still)

What is the easiest way to build up your skills? I am a level 2 character after 4-5 hours of game time.....and wanted to do the side mission to fix the leaking water pipes, but cannot yet.....I realize I can come back to this later, but is fighting the only way to build up those skill points?

Thanks, all.

I must admit I am not a RPG kinda guy, so I am still on a strong learning curve with Fallout 3 thus far. Its cool, but a bit frustrating as of the moment.

Yep than you may or may not like this. If you didn't like Oblivion than this isn't a game for you. Strange though that you liked Mass Effect so much. That is pretty much the same style of play.

But it had a fairly linear story with missions and such to complete. Not to mention it was one of the best sci-fi stories and universes ever created.

Third request:

How are the load times? Are there a lot of them? Do they take long?

Hey all, if you could, I just want to clarify a couple of game points that frustrated me about my inital game time with Fallout 3 last night, but I do forget this is a 'turn based RPG'

Fighting: I started shooting by just pointing my gun and firing - which lead to me using an entire clip to drop one dude THEN I remembered about the VAULTS way - which was much better....I would shoot, then quickly push the button to do it again - sometimes I could, sometimes not. Initially I thought it was do to running out of ammo.

As of now, I assume that when you use VAULTS, you have to allow the other character the opportunity to attack first, before you do it twice? In other words, I cannot use Vaults to fire off two shots in a row? (I am not sure on this still)

What is the easiest way to build up your skills? I am a level 2 character after 4-5 hours of game time.....and wanted to do the side mission to fix the leaking water pipes, but cannot yet.....I realize I can come back to this later, but is fighting the only way to build up those skill points?

Thanks, all.

I must admit I am not a RPG kinda guy, so I am still on a strong learning curve with Fallout 3 thus far. Its cool, but a bit frustrating as of the moment.
From what I can tell, talking to people and taking on new missions also increased your XP and I think when I spoke to Gob at the bar in Megaton it gave me good karma and some XP.

That's why they make different types of games. :duff

I agree. I apologize if I was being a jerk. :duff

I'm sorry but that's a turn off for me. I understand why some people love games like Oblivion, but I'm not one of them. I like to have some linear progression like Fable or Zelda. Just my personal preferences.

Thats the only thing I'm afraid of with this game it will be so open I'll never finish. Thats what killed Oblivion for me.

I agree. I apologize if I was being a jerk. :duff

Thats the only thing I'm afraid of with this game it will be so open I'll never finish. Thats what killed Oblivion for me.

You weren't being a jerk at all. As for Oblivion I think it took me a year and a half to get through and get almost all of the acheivments. I would play it hard for a month or two and then take a break. I always found myself going back to it though.

:lecture

It's funny, cause i'm kinda half and half when it comes to games. Sometimes, I like one you can just run and gun through (be it a shooter, or sports game) and sometimes, I like one that I have the option of coming back to over and over again, playing for a while to complete it. Really depends on my schedule though.

:lecture

It's funny, cause i'm kinda half and half when it comes to games. Sometimes, I like one you can just run and gun through (be it a shooter, or sports game) and sometimes, I like one that I have the option of coming back to over and over again, playing for a while to complete it. Really depends on my schedule though.

Yep it depends on my mood as well. Sometimes I just want to blow ^^^^ up! Other times I want to explore.

You weren't being a jerk at all. As for Oblivion I think it took me a year and a half to get through and get almost all of the acheivments. I would play it hard for a month or two and then take a break. I always found myself going back to it though.

I figure this will take me a while as Fable might as well with everything I still have to play. Thats fine though as it gives me something too when I have no new games coming.

Well I made it to the radio station - damn that Behemoth was insane. :lol

I think this has a pretty linear story line if you want to stick to the main quests - or you can get yourself submersed for countless hours with side quests.......however, I think if one were to stick only with the main quests they would have a pretty hard time as it is becoming necessary to have a lot of experience points to get good skills.

I liked Fable 2 A LOT - but I also thought it was too easy. Once you get a really good sword and some high powered spells - you can kill just about anything without even getting any damage. This game is quite a bit more of a challenge. I can't tell you how many times I went into a building with a room full of raiders and got my ass handed to me. You really need to have some good strategy and stealth can be your friend. I like this game because I can't just run through it like I did with Fable.

if it's anything like Oblivion, expect to put in over 100 hours to complete the main storyline and all the side quests.
and you will love every minute.

You better be prepared to share! Maybe I should have put this on my B-day list for my own copy?!? Nah, you'll be distracted by GOW2 in a week and I'll be able to steal it away! MWAHAHAHAHA! :mwaha

Back