Evil Queen Premium Format figure - ORDER NOW!! Link in 1st Post

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a possibility, or maybe the REG will be 700 making the overall ES 1000.

Now that would be interesting, but I'd be surprised if the overall ES is that small.
Still, with a somewhat untested market for this type of product, its hard to know which way to jump.
A very good and fairly limited first off Disney PF could create a bit of buzz and I guess for those us that already have an order, the lower the better.

Small ESs on Disney items is a smart way to go. People know that Disney items are popular and have fans but the reality is that Disney fans are really fickle. They are also very much in the group that answers with their wallets. Disney has a tendancy to oversaturate their markets. The Star Wars Big Figs for example when there was one per year and limited they sold out amazingly fast. So they continued only increasing the edition sizes as well as the numbers of ones offered and re-releasing ones that were previously sold out. Now you can find them everywhere in Disney and in plentiful numbers. They aren't limited anymore and fans walk.

Master Replicas is a perfect example of this. Their Mouseketeers Hats were great, well done, beautifully tailored. They were overpriced and the stands were trash. They sold a few at first but then it rotted on their site. Then suddenly they were bargain priced at like $25 and sold a lot. Their Monorails were fantastic, worth every penny only overpriced by like $50 IMHO. They went on sale on Disney's site over one holiday and sold out. They were like $80 I believe. Master Replicas even bought the rights and tried to sell other attraction statues like their Jungle Cruise boats which were made by a different company but those didn't sell either. Their screen scenes were amazing, my wife has the Little Mermaid one, again no movement. Even by their own admission what sold the absolute best were the cheap affordable POTC jewelry items, they couldn't keep up with the demand. The high end stuff like the chest or Barbossa's sword which were great items were bargain basement bin'd amazingly fast. They couldn't find the right mix of cost to product. It didn't help that it was in the time of the Star Wars ES skyrocket and most MR products followed that line.

The Disney license can often cost more money than it makes and SSC is very smart by not only doing a character that will entice classic fans but also keeping the ES really low to make them attractive to a majority of collectors.

I hope all numbers stay this low.

Disney has a tendancy to oversaturate their markets. The Star Wars Big Figs for example when there was one per year and limited they sold out amazingly fast. So they continued only increasing the edition sizes as well as the numbers of ones offered and re-releasing ones that were previously sold out. Now you can find them everywhere in Disney and in plentiful numbers. They aren't limited anymore and fans walk.

I see the same thing happening with Vinylmation. Park 1 and Urban 1 Sold Out in a couple months. They saw this and made more. Now you can still find Park 2 everywhere. I also hate they are releasing them to fast. Clear 1 came out one week and then Urban 2 the next. :rolleyes:

Small ESs on Disney items is a smart way to go. People know that Disney items are popular and have fans but the reality is that Disney fans are really fickle. They are also very much in the group that answers with their wallets. Disney has a tendancy to oversaturate their markets. The Star Wars Big Figs for example when there was one per year and limited they sold out amazingly fast. So they continued only increasing the edition sizes as well as the numbers of ones offered and re-releasing ones that were previously sold out. Now you can find them everywhere in Disney and in plentiful numbers. They aren't limited anymore and fans walk.

Master Replicas is a perfect example of this. Their Mouseketeers Hats were great, well done, beautifully tailored. They were overpriced and the stands were trash. They sold a few at first but then it rotted on their site. Then suddenly they were bargain priced at like $25 and sold a lot. Their Monorails were fantastic, worth every penny only overpriced by like $50 IMHO. They went on sale on Disney's site over one holiday and sold out. They were like $80 I believe. Master Replicas even bought the rights and tried to sell other attraction statues like their Jungle Cruise boats which were made by a different company but those didn't sell either. Their screen scenes were amazing, my wife has the Little Mermaid one, again no movement. Even by their own admission what sold the absolute best were the cheap affordable POTC jewelry items, they couldn't keep up with the demand. The high end stuff like the chest or Barbossa's sword which were great items were bargain basement bin'd amazingly fast. They couldn't find the right mix of cost to product. It didn't help that it was in the time of the Star Wars ES skyrocket and most MR products followed that line.

The Disney license can often cost more money than it makes and SSC is very smart by not only doing a character that will entice classic fans but also keeping the ES really low to make them attractive to a majority of collectors.

I hope all numbers stay this low.

Very smart and well thought out analysis! I am very selective with collecting Disney items, because the market, as you stated, is over saturated with too much merchandise. The average Disney fan cannot afford to keep up with all this stuff. I would never purchase any of their serial cels, lithos or WDCC pieces for investment purposes. If you like the item and have a passion for the subject, then no problem. But I dislike when salespeople push this stuff with an angle towards the "future rise in value" scenario. If I was going to buy Disneyana to invest, it would be original cels or early Disneyland items.

ES really low to make them attractive to a majority of collectors.

Interesting analysis overall, but don't you think this is a contradictory statement? Whats the point of attracting "a majority" if your ES is so small?

Mind you, I won't mind having a small ES since I got it. But what I'm worried about is if ES is too small then the license isn't worthwhile and the line will stop before it reaches the figures I really want.

Good points Mike, I hadn't thought of it that way. I fully expected a large exclusive es and a large regular es, but I can see how with oversaturation they may be better off with smaller limited runs. I think Prog makes a good point too though that it may be a difficult balancing act.

From since it was announced, I was two minds over which way the ES was going to go. A large ES lets all who want them a good chance to buy them, but if too large, no hurry to buy, secondary market prices plummet and very few even bother to buy in the first place.

Too low a ES and plenty miss out, get pissed off and just drop the whole line before even starting. As you say, so much Disney stuff out there, that finding something to buy in ones price range isn't much of a problem.

If one assumes that the PF line will continue (which I really hope it does, as based on what we know is coming in 2010, there are still plenty that I want which are yet to be shown at all), then a lowish ES has the advantage in so much that if one half misses a PF that they would have liked. All you need to do is wait a year for one to come along that you wanted even more.

Lets face it, the 'character' options are massive and I'd be very surprised if anyone is going to get them all, I know I won't be. So given the cost, a smallish ES lets one focus on just want you want, while ensuring that all will sell out.

Going to be an interesting few years ahead, lets hope QC doesn't let us all down.

yeah a large ES might be a problem too. Look at the Indy line, they made too many of the first one and the line never really took off.

I guess as long as SSC is making enough to justify the license fee thats whats important. But I'll just be devistated (in a collector sense) if a Tron PF never arrives.

I see the same thing happening with Vinylmation. Park 1 and Urban 1 Sold Out in a couple months. They saw this and made more. Now you can still find Park 2 everywhere. I also hate they are releasing them to fast. Clear 1 came out one week and then Urban 2 the next. :rolleyes:

There are rumors that they are even re-releasing some of the earlier releases scattered in through the upcoming lines....

If I was going to buy Disneyana to invest, it would be original cels or early Disneyland items.

Agreed and Disney seems to be pushing the collecting for collecting with offering a ton of their product in larger quantities to make them readily available. I think the only real limited things are for specific celebrations although a lot of them are still able to be found if you look hard enough.

Interesting analysis overall, but don't you think this is a contradictory statement? Whats the point of attracting "a majority" if your ES is so small? Mind you, I won't mind having a small ES since I got it. But what I'm worried about is if ES is too small then the license isn't worthwhile and the line will stop before it reaches the figures I really want.

Not really, keeping the ES low is what causes a fever because people know they have to buy now if they want it. Using the Master Replicas model again when their first couple of lightsabers were released they were severely limited but took a bit to sell out. Then the next few again kept the lower ES and people nabbed them quick, were excited about the releases and the secondary value of older pieces went through the roof. That attracts a majority to the line but not everyone will be into every piece, with Disney there is so much that could come out from different lines at the same time and get people excited. To keep the line going the more sell outs the better. When items rot on the shelves no matter how popular they line is or could be it starts companies thinking that the line isn't profitable or viable.

If we want the line to continue and diversify then we need sell outs, as much as possible. The low ES will attract those who are "rare" collectors as well as standard fans and insure more of a sell out possibility and the longer the line goes. If they create products that have enormous ESs like 2000 for example they'll just sit there and the lines will slow because they won't be able to recoup the money spent both on the R&D as well as the licensing fees themselves. Remember that some of them will require higher fees because they have to pay more than just Disney. If they make low edition sizes and the pieces still don't sell then that is a horrible sign.

Good points Mike, I hadn't thought of it that way. I fully expected a large exclusive es and a large regular es, but I can see how with oversaturation they may be better off with smaller limited runs. I think Prog makes a good point too though that it may be a difficult balancing act.

It always is, fans will complain when they don't get the exclusives that they want or even the pieces they want because the edition sizes are too small which causes companies to increase the sizes and when they hit too high of a limit than fans start to lose interest because you can say "I'll just wait for it on sale on eBay or at an AD". Even the most devoted fan if they can find a deal will wait for it which means that they'll skip initial releases and Sideshow will see the line as a dud. The balancing act is tough but if SSC can do it right this line will outsell the majority of their other lines and go the distance. Unfortunately history has shown that it only takes one figure to start a line weakening and a couple of bad follow ups to kill it.

From since it was announced, I was two minds over which way the ES was going to go. A large ES lets all who want them a good chance to buy them, but if too large, no hurry to buy, secondary market prices plummet and very few even bother to buy in the first place.

Too low a ES and plenty miss out, get pissed off and just drop the whole line before even starting. As you say, so much Disney stuff out there, that finding something to buy in ones price range isn't much of a problem.

If one assumes that the PF line will continue (which I really hope it does, as based on what we know is coming in 2010, there are still plenty that I want which are yet to be shown at all), then a lowish ES has the advantage in so much that if one half misses a PF that they would have liked. All you need to do is wait a year for one to come along that you wanted even more.

Lets face it, the 'character' options are massive and I'd be very surprised if anyone is going to get them all, I know I won't be. So given the cost, a smallish ES lets one focus on just want you want, while ensuring that all will sell out.

Going to be an interesting few years ahead, lets hope QC doesn't let us all down.

I agree with this 100% its tough to figure out which ES you want but even harder knowing that you are going to pick and choose sooner than later because its only matter of time before they start offering a villain, hero, live action specific, animated specific and/or Pixar 3d model inspired within close shipping times.

I agree with this 100% its tough to figure out which ES you want but even harder knowing that you are going to pick and choose sooner than later because its only matter of time before they start offering a villain, hero, live action specific, animated specific and/or Pixar 3d model inspired within close shipping times.

I suspect for some it could well be a problem, tho for me I have no plans to get the live action ones or even all the villain animated ones. While others are no doubt the other way around.
Which given what we have coming in 2010, I think gives a nice range of choices and the more I think about it, the more I'm thinking that the 300 ES for the Ex and I'd say a 1000 ES for the Reg would be about right and something to apply across the whole line.
That makes getting the Ex still possible if your fast enough and its one you really want, while still being able to get the Reg for a bit cheaper and not feel totally bummed over missing the Ex.
As you say, if they manage it right, mix up the PF 'classes' and keep ES under control, and of course keep quality top notch, in a few years the Disney PF line could easily rival the Marvel one, if not surpass it.

There are rumors that they are even re-releasing some of the earlier releases scattered in through the upcoming lines....

I know of a few that are getting a somewhat rerelease, but changed up just a bit.

Monorail will be in Park 3. It will be the Blue instead of Red(was originally supposed to be Pink), and Green in Park 4.

Figment will be rereleased in Park 6, but he will be in a Tux and packed with a 9" Dreamfinder.

Kermit will be rereleased in Muppet 1, but he will be dressed as a Disney Tourist.

I THANK GOD i was able to oder the exclusive are both versions sold out!?
Looking foward to the rest of the line!

The line has ANOTHER villianess, Malificent is next I believe, the Sculptors such as Hideousboi and none other than Andy Berholtz are on the team love BOTH of there work, and both are the MOST suited for the job; I am more than certain they will not disappoint!
this line is gonna be KILLER wait and see!

Back