Edition size: NRD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think people buy $750 Gucci jeans because of sentimental value? no! they buy it because they don't want to see everybody else in their $750 jeans. Collectors are a small group of society that believe in their elitism and in that elitism is the elite that want that low ES. You have to know what you are putting a deposit on before you put the deposit. So as a collector sixmilliondollarman guy you are in that small elite group of collectors yourself. most here on this forum would love to own a one of item.

I can see both sides but whatever happened to ordering a product because....YOU LIKED IT....due to the coolness factor or having sentimental value from childhood regardless of edition size. :dunno

Poor Sideshow. :(

No, poor entitled princesses. The tables have turned.

You think that just because they're a large company that makes millions they're due less respect in the transaction because thousands of that money was once yours?

:lol :lol :lol

:exactly: Where do we draw the line and say it's now unacceptable? Is 1000 too large? 2000? 3000? at what point would someone fairly say "I didn't sign up for this"?

At no point. If you ordered it without knowledge of the edition size, you signed up for it.

filip629 said:
If the Joker Es for the Ex is 2000 or more, I think people that plunked down the NRD have the right to be upset.

That's the risk you take. If edition size is an important factor to you and you make the decision to pay the NRD without knowing it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

filip629 said:
If I can cancel without losing my money, I have no real complaint. However, if I lose the NRD, I feel that I have the right to be upset.

You can feel it all you want, but in reality, which is not dependent upon your feelings, you have no right to complain. It was all you.

filip629 said:
Just because Es doesn't matter to a few of you, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.

You are free to feel however you like. However, feelings are not a cognitive tool, and they do not create reality. Either use your brain and understand the reality of the situation, or know that if you're trying to live by emotion, you're blind in a universe that doesn't operate according to your whims.

filip629 said:
When I drop hundreds of dollars and an NRD down on a statue I want to know the Es.

Then don't order until you know it.

filip629 said:
For all of you that say it doesn't matter, it does.

It doesn't. What, your feelings give you infallible insight as to the true intentions of other people now? Guess what...

filip629 said:
Why even put Es down on a statue if it doesn't. It's important to collectors to know they have a limited collectible they are spending hundreds of dollars on. It's also important to SSC as a marketing tool. By setting and using Es they are telling you that they are selling rare collectible items. If Es wasn't important then they wouldn't bother with them to begin with.

There is a a hierarchy of values involved when you purchase something. The order is particular to each individual. Not everyone values edition size as highly as everyone else, and the seller is free to choose which values they cater to. If they do not want customers using edition size as a factor in their choice to buy, that is their prerogative. Until you buy it, the statue is the property of SSC and they may do what they like with it.

If I order a piece, that means I like it. However, if the Es is huge, I have other options to purchase the piece. If I paid $50-$100 for something then I wouldn't care about the Es. Be we are spending HUNDREDS on our collectibles.

People pay thousands for a single vehicle. Hundreds of thousands for a single home, if not millions. They get no guarantees, and most of the factors determining the value of the home are completely out of their control.

If resale value is so important to you, then buy accordingly. If you lack the information to buy according to your objectives, that does not mean that those who do know owe you an education. The amount you spend changes nothing.

filip629 said:
It would be nice to know that they would somewhat retain their value. I'm not talking about the aftermarket. I don't buy a piece expecting it to skyrocket in value (it is nice when that happens though).

Investments need to retain value. Purchases for their own sake do not; ownership is sufficient justification for the money you gave up. If you are always looking to the future to vindicate what you own, you are never going to get a moment's peace while you possess it.

filip629 said:
I buy a piece because I like it.

And when you're done liking it, you want to be free of the obligation which you previously committed yourself to.

filip629 said:
However, our tastes change from time to time or there maybe a piece we have that we could use as trade for a another piece we want more.

And if you are fortunate enough that the piece maintained or rose in value, then good for you. If you aren't, it isn't the fault of the person selling it. Knowing what you will like in 5 years is not their business, not their responsibility, and not their job.

filip629 said:
Financial hardship

If you're worried about financial hardship, save money for that purpose.

filip629 said:
no more room

Know how much space you have before you try to fill it.

filip629 said:
and changing tastes

Have consistent tastes. Don't be fickle, or atleast, if you're going to be, buy NECA or something. I never hear women complaining about the resale value of the clothes they wear once.

filip629 said:
are only a few reasons we may want to sell our statues.

If you want to sell statues, open a statue company. Then you can tell everyone your edition sizes, plus youo can have bragging rights over Sideshow and all the people who want to be able to have a 1000% guarantee for life on everything they buy will shop at your company instead.

filip629 said:
Inflated Es kills the value of your pieces.

Only if you value the resale more highly than the esthtics of the piece.

filip629 said:
We as collectors know that upfront.

And not all of us care.

filip629 said:
That is why we want to know the Es before we preorder. I don't like surprises when I already dropped the NRD. At that time, it's too late. Knowing the Es before hand is important to most collectors. I know it is to me.

There won't be any surprises if you wait until you know the edition size. That is, you know, if it's so important to you.

I disagree. Es IS one of the factors I use to determine if I want to buy a statue direct from SSC. As a customer, I want to know the Es BEFORE I have a NRD on the line. I DO NOT have a problem with the NRD. I know that SSC is protecting themselves from cancellations. I want to protect myself from the value of a piece I'm spending hundreds of dollars on from dropping in value because of a huge Es.

Then don't buy until you know the edition size. Do you buy Hot Toys figures? When have they ever disclosed?

That's what I thought.

filip629 said:
SSC can keep the NRD. I'm all for it. Just let your customers know the Es before charging the NRD. I feel this is fair to both parties involved.

They do not want people ordering this to use edition size to make the decision to purchase. The statues are theirs. They know people want them for a variety of reasons. They are free to sell to whom they prefer.

I know this is fair.

If you don't think it's fair, don't buy.

Last edited:
I disagree. Es IS one of the factors I use to determine if I want to buy a statue direct from SSC. As a customer, I want to know the Es BEFORE I have a NRD on the line. I DO NOT have a problem with the NRD. I know that SSC is protecting themselves from cancellations. I want to protect myself from the value of a piece I'm spending hundreds of dollars on from dropping in value because of a huge Es.

SSC can keep the NRD. I'm all for it. Just let your customers know the Es before charging the NRD. I feel this is fair to both parties involved.

Yeah, NRD is a good policy. It's the TBD edition size combined with the NRD which is the problem. If you're going to put money down, full disclosure of the edition size should be the norm.

So as a collector sixmilliondollarman guy you are in that small elite group of collectors yourself.

Seriously? Get some perspective man. I've never thought of myself being in a "small elite group of collectors" because 99.7% of the real world thinks we're losers for being on a TOY MESSAGE BOARD.

Last edited:
"because 99.7% of the real world thinks we're losers for being on a [B said:
TOY MESSAGE BOARD[/B].

Don't say that it makes me feel erm Special

;)

I agree with those who say buy because you like not because you think it might be an investment. Sorry that is the only reason I can see people why knowing the ES if that important.

Sideshow has been to nice with cancelation policy, like others said look at all the stuff in stock. I am still to this day shocked it took this long as a number of times they screwed when people thought/hoped for really low ES and then when it was higher then people wanted they canceled like crazy leaving SS with lots to sell later on some at a discount.

I think 10% is a reasonable amount to pay, so if you are buying because you hope it will be low thats your gamble.

Do you think people buy $750 Gucci jeans because of sentimental value? no! they buy it because they don't want to see everybody else in their $750 jeans. Collectors are a small group of society that believe in their elitism and in that elitism is the elite that want that low ES. You have to know what you are putting a deposit on before you put the deposit. So as a collector sixmilliondollarman guy you are in that small elite group of collectors yourself. most here on this forum would love to own a one of item.

$750 gucci jeans aren't limited. :cuckoo:

I can see both sides but whatever happened to ordering a product because....YOU LIKED IT....due to the coolness factor or having sentimental value from childhood regardless of edition size. :dunno

I don't think it's somehow "wrong" to LIKE something because it's limited.

Knowing the edition size can factor into whether someone likes it more/less. And it doesn't necessarily mean someone's looking at is as an investment, either. Just knowing something's a bit more exclusive is nice - and it's okay to admit that! :)

I don't think it's somehow "wrong" to LIKE something because it's limited.

Knowing the edition size can factor into whether someone likes it more/less. And it doesn't necessarily mean someone's looking at is as an investment, either. Just knowing something's a bit more exclusive is nice - and it's okay to admit that! :)

That's true. This conversation is steering more toward what people consider a "collectible" and what they don't.

Personally, I could care less about the edition size b/c aesthetics is what I value most. Being limited or what have you would be icing on the cake but never factor into my purchase.

But, I see where the people are coming from wrt to SSC disclosing the edition size up front. If that were important to my purchase I'd want to know that too before getting hit with an NRD.

If SSC keeps this up I'm sure people will ask them to change their name from "Side Show Collectibles" to "Side Show Statues" lol.

Where did it say it was "wrong" in my statement. All I said is that I buy something because I like it. Simple as that.

Yeah I know. I wasn't actually disagreeing with your statement, just adding that someone can like something because of the edition size, that's all.

I can understand the perspective that the edition size, for some, is an important characteristic of a piece. Some probably think of it as akin to the sculpt or paint apps in terms of importance. If so, from their perspective, it would seem unfair not to know what this important characteristic is going to "look like" at the time of ordering, when you are forced to put money down.

But again, Sideshow can lose out when it announces edition size and/or when it doesn't charge the NRD. From the business side, I'm sure they weighed the pros and cons and figure that offending a few collectors isn't gonna hurt as bad as producing way too many statues they can't sell and/or fewer than they could to maximize their profits. And the combination of NRD plus TBD really could allow them to try and maximize their profits in a way that taking either away would not.

Having said that, I wonder if a potential compromise would be keeping things as they are, but not charging the NRD until, say, a week or two after the edition size is announced. That would provide a window where folks buying in the hope of a small edition size could cancel. The potential drawback would be mass-cancellations in that time period, which is a problem they are trying to avoid with the NRD of course. But I'm not sure they would see that many cancellations occur, and the upside would be folks buying for edition size turning into happy campers. . .just a thought.

I agree with those who say buy because you like not because you think it might be an investment. Sorry that is the only reason I can see people why knowing the ES if that important.

Sideshow has been to nice with cancelation policy, like others said look at all the stuff in stock. I am still to this day shocked it took this long as a number of times they screwed when people thought/hoped for really low ES and then when it was higher then people wanted they canceled like crazy leaving SS with lots to sell later on some at a discount.

I think 10% is a reasonable amount to pay, so if you are buying because you hope it will be low thats your gamble.

$750 gucci jeans aren't limited. :cuckoo:

I bet they are the just arent numbered.

I bet they are the just arent numbered.

If gucci is going to have limited pair of jeans there I no way would they be $750 add at least one zero if not two to that price.

I can understand the perspective that the edition size, for some, is an important characteristic of a piece. Some probably think of it as akin to the sculpt or paint apps in terms of importance. If so, from their perspective, it would seem unfair not to know what this important characteristic is going to "look like" at the time of ordering, when you are forced to put money down.

But again, Sideshow can lose out when it announces edition size and/or when it doesn't charge the NRD. From the business side, I'm sure they weighed the pros and cons and figure that offending a few collectors isn't gonna hurt as bad as producing way too many statues they can't sell and/or fewer than they could to maximize their profits. And the combination of NRD plus TBD really could allow them to try and maximize their profits in a way that taking either away would not.

Having said that, I wonder if a potential compromise would be keeping things as they are, but not charging the NRD until, say, a week or two after the edition size is announced. That would provide a window where folks buying in the hope of a small edition size could cancel. The potential drawback would be mass-cancellations in that time period, which is a problem they are trying to avoid with the NRD of course. But I'm not sure they would see that many cancellations occur, and the upside would be folks buying for edition size turning into happy campers. . .just a thought.

Dig it. That's a fair policy I could live with.

No, poor entitled princesses. The tables have turned.

You think that just because they're a large company that makes millions they're due less respect in the transaction because thousands of that money was once yours?

:lol :lol :lol

At no point. If you ordered it without knowledge of the edition size, you signed up for it.

That's the risk you take. If edition size is an important factor to you and you make the decision to pay the NRD without knowing it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

You can feel it all you want, but in reality, which is not dependent upon your feelings, you have no right to complain. It was all you.

You are free to feel however you like. However, feelings are not a cognitive tool, and they do not create reality. Either use your brain and understand the reality of the situation, or know that if you're trying to live by emotion, you're blind in a universe that doesn't operate according to your whims.

Then don't order until you know it.

It doesn't. What, your feelings give you infallible insight as to the true intentions of other people now? Guess what...

There is a a hierarchy of values involved when you purchase something. The order is particular to each individual. Not everyone values edition size as highly as everyone else, and the seller is free to choose which values they cater to. If they do not want customers using edition size as a factor in their choice to buy, that is their prerogative. Until you buy it, the statue is the property of SSC and they may do what they like with it.

People pay thousands for a single vehicle. Hundreds of thousands for a single home, if not millions. They get no guarantees, and most of the factors determining the value of the home are completely out of their control.

If resale value is so important to you, then buy accordingly. If you lack the information to buy according to your objectives, that does not mean that those who do know owe you an education. The amount you spend changes nothing.

Investments need to retain value. Purchases for their own sake do not; ownership is sufficient justification for the money you gave up. If you are always looking to the future to vindicate what you own, you are never going to get a moment's peace while you possess it.

And when you're done liking it, you want to be free of the obligation which you previously committed yourself to.

And if you are fortunate enough that the piece maintained or rose in value, then good for you. If you aren't, it isn't the fault of the person selling it. Knowing what you will like in 5 years is not their business, not their responsibility, and not their job.

If you're worried about financial hardship, save money for that purpose.

Know how much space you have before you try to fill it.

Have consistent tastes. Don't be fickle, or atleast, if you're going to be, buy NECA or something. I never hear women complaining about the resale value of the clothes they wear once.

If you want to sell statues, open a statue company. Then you can tell everyone your edition sizes, plus youo can have bragging rights over Sideshow and all the people who want to be able to have a 1000% guarantee for life on everything they buy will shop at your company instead.

Only if you value the resale more highly than the esthtics of the piece.

And not all of us care.

There won't be any surprises if you wait until you know the edition size. That is, you know, if it's so important to you.

Then don't buy until you know the edition size. Do you buy Hot Toys figures? When have they ever disclosed?

That's what I thought.

They do not want people ordering this to use edition size to make the decision to purchase. The statues are theirs. They know people want them for a variety of reasons. They are free to sell to whom they prefer.

I know this is fair.

If you don't think it's fair, don't buy.

Wow! I didn't know that much garbage can be spewed out of any one persons mind. Here you say my thoughts and feelings don't count because the world doesn't revolve around me. Yet, you go point by point to tell me my way of thinking is wrong. There is only one of us here that is full of themselves, and it isn't me. I can understand a persons point of view even without agreeing with them or coming off with a condescending attitude.

Let me clear, I don't give a ____ what you feel about my thoughts. I collect for my own reasons and I don't need them approved by wipes like you. There is no use negotiating or talking to asses like you. You have a rigid one way mind and you always think your right. It's inflexible members like you who act like they are infallible and superior to everyone else.

My original post stands. I would like to know the Es before I plunk down an NRD. I believe that this can be done in some way that benefits both parties.

Last edited:
That's true. This conversation is steering more toward what people consider a "collectible" and what they don't.

Personally, I could care less about the edition size b/c aesthetics is what I value most. Being limited or what have you would be icing on the cake but never factor into my purchase.

But, I see where the people are coming from wrt to SSC disclosing the edition size up front. If that were important to my purchase I'd want to know that too before getting hit with an NRD.

If SSC keeps this up I'm sure people will ask them to change their name from "Side Show Collectibles" to "Side Show Statues" lol.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Wow! I didn't know that much garbage can be spewed out of any one persons mind. Here you say my thoughts and feelings don't count because the world doesn't revolve around me. Yet, you go point by point to tell me my way of thinking is wrong. There is only one of us here that is full of themselves, and it isn't me. I can understand a persons point of view even without agreeing with them or coming off with a condescending attitude.

Let me clear, I don't give a ____ what you feel about my thoughts. I collect for my own reasons and I don't need them approved by wipes like you. There is no use negotiating or talking to asses like you. You have a rigid one way mind and you always think your right. It's inflexible members like you who act like they are infallible and superior to everyone else.

My original post stands. I would like to know the Es before I plunk down an NRD. I believe that this can be done in some way that benefits both parties.

:lol:goodpost::exactly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back