Edition size: NRD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this will sound like Im blown SS, but I truly think they post a TBD ES during preorders in a true attempt to keep the ES realistically/reasonably low. I think they've been/are being stung by pre-NRD cancellation floods with shelves full of unsold product due to the old school "knee-jerk PReOrder/Shipdate-Cancellation" combo of yesterday.
Keeping a TBD allows them to not get too dicked over by making the wrong PO ES number guess.
THink about it. Theyre gonna charge an NRD now no matter what. It makes business sense. So given that, lets say they guess too low on the PO ES, ... nerds are up in arms cause Joe didn't get one cause he lives in Mars and works 3rd shift. They guess too high ... then the nerds buy even FEWER then normal cause the nerds think the number on the bottom is what makes the piece... so SS is ____ed again!

Just look at their In-Stock list. Trust me. They don't like it. Their warehouse is full and its not by their choice. They would MUCH RATHER HAVE YOUR MONEY than their warehouse full of product.

Also, keep in mind SS is not dumb. SS, more than anybody, knows a Low ES could potentially = a Grail. Which in turn = Nerd Hype. Which in turn = Nerd Envy = Nerd Flip = Nerd Flock = Nerd $$$.

The logical smart choice here is to put up a TBD ES. Have a pocket ES tolerance set out. Make a cut-off if it starts going too crazy cause a high ES = low secondary market value. (again. They're not dumb). And try to please the majority of their collectors as best they can w/o going too crazy with the ES for high profile pieces.
And the best part would be them being able to keep a LOW ES when the orders truly don't come thru. THat keeps them from having product filling up their warehouse and also keep some collectors happy with some low ES products.

SS are as big of nerds as you are. They want to keep this ____ going even MORE than you do.
Just please always keep in mind its also a business before you call the Wambulance ..... :monkey1

nice .... condescending reply to a fellow collector ... stay classy ...

I think SS's move is an extremely safe move, for the reasons occulum is pointing out. Folks who order have to commit by "putting up or shutting up" (meaning fewer cancellations), and they don't over- or under-produce based on initial demand because they get an idea of how popular something is.

They do risk the ire of those collectors who care about reasonably rare stuff, but on balance, the pros of this approach probably outweigh the cons. Particularly when their initial pre-order allotment (whatever it is) sells out as it did with Joker. It actually met their initial hoped-for demand and then some, and now they can produce enough to satisfy most. Are folks actually gonna boycott Sideshow and refuse to order because of this? Maybe a few. But probably only a very few.

Sideshow still seems to mix it up with ridiculously low-quantity items like the Jason Voorhees PF Ex., so there are gonna be pieces out there for those who care so much for edition size.

I am a nerd. Im proud to be a nerd. You insinuating thats a negative term? ... ....

I think SS's move is an extremely safe move, for the reasons occulum is pointing out. Folks who order have to commit by "putting up or shutting up" (meaning fewer cancellations), and they don't over- or under-produce based on initial demand because they get an idea of how popular something is.

They do risk the ire of those collectors who care about reasonably rare stuff, but on balance, the pros of this approach probably outweigh the cons. Particularly when their initial pre-order allotment (whatever it is) sells out as it did with Joker. It actually met their initial hoped-for demand and then some, and now they can produce enough to satisfy most. Are folks actually gonna boycott Sideshow and refuse to order because of this? Maybe a few. But probably only a very few.

dude you're totally ... :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

What if they set a higher than normal ES for all pieces on the day of release and stipulated that this was a max, but they reserve the right to lower the ES if the piece doesn't sell as expected. So let's take the Joker. On PO day they list the ES as "1000 max". Orders file in and let's say they get a flood of orders within the first 12 hours. Let's say they get 650 pre-orders in the first day and then lower the stated ES to 750. This tells all the fence sitters to get on board or lose out. It also gives some sense of protection for those paying the NRD; they know the max will not be above the stated 1000 pieces. When it gets lowered to 750, everyone is happy. If it stays at 1000 then everyone knew this was a possibility.

But I still wanna know why they think they can get 350 for the Templar's Verdict piece.

umad.gif
csb.gif
dgb.gif

lol, woteva man - I'm sure Sideshow customer service take all the :lecture and :exactly: smilies really seriously :rotfl

Same here. They've been getting screwed for years. It's about time they stopped bending over for the demanders and whiners.

You're not getting 'penalized' for cancelling with an NRD. They are protecting themselves. Your 'hard-earned' money is your responsibility, not theirs. If you're getting screwed by cancelling, learn some self-control and foresight. Stop blaming others for your own compulsive behavior.

You're not getting 'penalized' for cancelling with an NRD. They are protecting themselves. Your 'hard-earned' money is your responsibility, not theirs. If you're getting screwed by cancelling, learn some self-control and foresight. Stop blaming others for your own compulsive behavior.

:goodpost: Agreed 100%, that's the only part of his statement I didn't agree with - the whole "penalized" mentality.

I think asking for the ES is fair enough.

I understand Sideshow's position, but I don't think this request is unreasonable, either. They ARE meant to be "collectible". I would hate to pre-order what I assumed - reasonably enough - was going to be a fairly limited item only to discover it was going to have an edition size of 50,000, but having already committed the NRD. Sure, that's an extreme case, but still, the request is worth considering.

I understand Sideshow's position, but I don't think this request is unreasonable, either. They ARE meant to be "collectible". I would hate to pre-order what I assumed - reasonably enough - was going to be a fairly limited item only to discover it was going to have an edition size of 50,000, but having already committed the NRD. Sure, that's an extreme case, but still, the request is worth considering.

:exactly::goodpost:

:exactly: Where do we draw the line and say it's now unacceptable? Is 1000 too large? 2000? 3000? at what point would someone fairly say "I didn't sign up for this"? If the Joker Es for the Ex is 2000 or more, I think people that plunked down the NRD have the right to be upset. If I can cancel without losing my money, I have no real complaint. However, if I lose the NRD, I feel that I have the right to be upset.

Just because Es doesn't matter to a few of you, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. When I drop hundreds of dollars and an NRD down on a statue I want to know the Es. For all of you that say it doesn't matter, it does. Why even put Es down on a statue if it doesn't. It's important to collectors to know they have a limited collectible they are spending hundreds of dollars on. It's also important to SSC as a marketing tool. By setting and using Es they are telling you that they are selling rare collectible items. If Es wasn't important then they wouldn't bother with them to begin with.

I can see both sides but whatever happened to ordering a product because....YOU LIKED IT....due to the coolness factor or having sentimental value from childhood regardless of edition size. :dunno

Last edited:
I can see both sides but whatever happened to ordering a product because....YOU LIKED IT....due to the coolness factor or having sentimental value from childhood regardless of edition size. :dunno

If I order a piece, that means I like it. However, if the Es is huge, I have other options to purchase the piece. If I paid $50-$100 for something then I wouldn't care about the Es. Be we are spending HUNDREDS on our collectibles. It would be nice to know that they would somewhat retain their value. I'm not talking about the aftermarket. I don't buy a piece expecting it to skyrocket in value (it is nice when that happens though). I buy a piece because I like it. However, our tastes change from time to time or there maybe a piece we have that we could use as trade for a another piece we want more. Financial hardship, no more room, and changing tastes are only a few reasons we may want to sell our statues.

Inflated Es kills the value of your pieces. We as collectors know that upfront. That is why we want to know the Es before we preorder. I don't like surprises when I already dropped the NRD. At that time, it's too late.

Knowing the Es before hand is important to most collectors. I know it is to me.

I disagree. Es IS one of the factors I use to determine if I want to buy a statue direct from SSC. As a customer, I want to know the Es BEFORE I have a NRD on the line. I DO NOT have a problem with the NRD. I know that SSC is protecting themselves from cancellations. I want to protect myself from the value of a piece I'm spending hundreds of dollars on from dropping in value because of a huge Es.

SSC can keep the NRD. I'm all for it. Just let your customers know the Es before charging the NRD. I feel this is fair to both parties involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back