eBay Make Best Offer Etiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Payton collectibles

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hey Everyone

So on my personal ebay account I have for a sale a a figure that i want (need) to sell so that I can make room for something else. I did put the best offer option on just to see if I got an offer close enough that I might be willing to part with other than the buy it now price but it just seems some people put in some insulting offers way off the mark (on at 300 yet I got a £125 offer!)

And on the other hand I made a couple of offers for some figures I want to add to my collection, I thought they were decent offers for example one item was £170 and I put in an offer for £150 which was declined

I am interested to hear other opinions / experiences' on Best Offers because my experience with them have been frustrating

Thanks All

I assume most reasonable people aren't going to accept something less than, say, 20-30% off of their initial asking price even with a best offer option, so I don't ever really bother. If I'm selling, I usually put a lowest possible offer, and automatically decline anything lower than that. Are you unfamiliar with that option?

But I don't know if it's a concern of etiquette from my POV. You get three chances, if they are all declined than you move on. Seller can set limits as I mentioned, and is under no obligation to sell for less than they want to.

It's a zero risk option to low ball someone. Worst case they say no. Best case they get a sweet, lopsided deal. That's why ppl can play that game. When I sell I never do best offers. I find it a waste of time for the very reasons the op raised.

It's a zero risk option to low ball someone. Worst case they say no. Best case they get a sweet, lopsided deal. That's why ppl can play that game. When I sell I never do best offers. I find it a waste of time for the very reasons the op raised.

As a buyer, that's how I feel. It gets annoying as a seller, but it tends to be a cycle with me. :lol I try to give a good deal and expect one as well.

I typically use (when selling) the buy it now option on items that I want a specific amount on and usually do a 30 listing, sometimes a 7 day though it depends on the item. If there are other listings for the same item, take that into account. If your listing is the only listing (past or present) then you of course have more leverage. I had something (one of a kind) listed for $1500 a while back, got 3 offers for $500ish and declined them all. Eventually sold for $1200 which was fine as that was my bottom end. Sometimes you just have to be patient for the right buyer.

There was a book I was looking at, seller was asking $150 and had the same auction up for weeks.
Previous auctions on the same book sold for less. I made an offer for $75 and it was accepted.

I think private parties with no overhead asking full blown retail or more on items is jut as ridiculous as people wanting to pay nothing when asking a fair price. If you want to sell, then price it to sell or wait it out.

Ebay to me sometimes is like poor mans gambling.

Some people that use the OBO option are wasting everyone's time. I offered $42 on a $50 item and the guy came back with $49. I came back with $45 and he came back with $48. I just passed on it. I actually prefer when sellers set it to automatically decline if an offer is too low since then I don't have to wait to hear from them. I know immediately if it's accepted or not.

I think best offer etiquette works both ways. I've had my fairshare of lowballers that unjust ignore immediately. Then there are sellers who come back to you saying they are ignoring the best offer option because ebay doesn't allow them to edit their settings to remove it; ie they only want to sell it at the buy it now price.

I do not put silly offers in and most of the time if the seller feels that my offer is too low, I receive a counter offer which I think is a fair way to go about things. I do get irritated when an offer is rejected outright with no communication - if you are not prepared to sell for less than your Buy It Now price, don't have a Make Offer option!

I normally put a slightly higher buy it now than I want/need plus best offer. Then I get what I want for it.

Works a surprising amount of times.

I normally put a slightly higher buy it now than I want/need plus best offer. Then I get what I want for it.

Works a surprising amount of times.

:wink1: That's my tactic too.

1635.jpeg

If the offer is low-ball insulting, I just block the bidder. For example - If someone offers $300 for a Talon EX PF, they don't deserve a better reply.

If the offer is low-ball insulting, I just block the bidder. For example - If someone offers $300 for a Talon EX PF, they don't deserve a better reply.

Yea sometimes I dont even reply to the offer as they dont deserve a 2nd chance or I counter with a penny knocked off.

I have been surprised at some of the offers I've made that have been accepted. Then again I never low ball 50% offers. I just try to keep them realistic to what I myself would see as a serious offer.

Think I will go with the price higher and see what happens.

The insulting low ball offers really bug me the most, I get that people want to get items for as low as possible but some of these are way too low.

Back