DX09 KEATON BATMAN: residue in abdominal area, has yours shown signs of it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I'm well aware of that and I have that figure and never had any problems. If what people were saying was true, someone should call the oil companies and tell them to stop drilling for oil. All they need to do is making rubber/plastic Batman figures...

795d26b1.jpg

Guy is wrong plain and simple, but he's new to the boards so lets not bully him :lecture

That's a mighty friendly attitude to take to such a difficult stance. I am very new to this board, I have one of these on the way (it arrives on Tuesday), and not only am I finding this thread both fascinating and helpful...

...but I am also finding the attitude of TheMayor hard to comprehend. This "everyone but me is an idiot" mentality is counterproductive to say the least.

You never had that problem so lucky you. CLEARLY others were not quite as lucky. Are they all idiots? Can they all have handled their (sometimes different versions of the same character) figures incorrectly?

Clearly, that is too improbable to be correct, so something else must be going on.

To the rest of the contributors here on this thread, thanks for the in-advance information folks, it's good to know.

might I suggest you visit your proctologist to have your brain examined.

:lol

Oh I'm well aware of that and I have that figure and never had any problems. If what people were saying was true, someone should call the oil companies and tell them to stop drilling for oil. All they need to do is making rubber/plastic Batman figures...

Are you really Howard Chen. :panic:

Does it matter? :dunno :lol

:lecture

I just gave Syncrude here in Alberta a call, this was their answer:

"Don't ever call here again"

:lol

If what people were saying was true, someone should call the oil companies and tell them to stop drilling for oil. All they need to do is making rubber/plastic Batman figures...

It's not motor oil . . . it's two different polymer chains (the rubber of the bodysuit and the plastic of the belt) coming into contact and causing a chemical reaction.

A plasticizer is a liquid that dissolves into a solid, helping it to be flexible instead of brittle. Plasticizers for polystyrene tend to dissolve most plastics and even rubber-like compounds, such as isoprene or even neoprene. As plasticizer liquid leaks out and away, the isoprene shrinks and hardens.

De-polymerization occurs due to poor materials science. HT should have chosen a more stable material for the rubber bodysuit (such as neoprene). I'm not a chemist, but I'd wager that the DX09 suit is an isoprene, which is more prone to de-polymerization.

If this problem turns out to be widespread, then Hot Toys really crapped the bed on this one.

One of their most impressive figures ever will be marred by poor material sourcing and incompatible chemistry. :slap

Given the exorbitant cost, that's pretty damn pathetic.
And a definite blow to their reputation.

After all, these figs shouldn't just look great for an extensive period of time, but hold up to repeated posing and futzing as well. Otherwise, what's the point of an articulated true-type?

Why not just buy a figure encased in lucite? :cuckoo:

____

Glad I cancelled this last month, I had a hunch this was going to happen again. :monkey3

I canceled mine for the same reason. The rubber HT is using has too much oil in it, perhaps to make it more resilient. Possibly the rubber isn't mixed well enough before pouring. I believe these are painted rubber, in which case the paint seals the oil in. I cannot help but wonder if excessive pressure is being concentrated in areas small enough to pierce the paint on the suits, which in turn give the oil a place to ooze from. I see that the oil is appearing from behind the belt. Perhaps the figures are being grabbed by the belt and squeezed hard enough to put small holes in that paint.

Is that the big difference between the different suits, some are painted and others are not? My OC suit appeared to not be painted and my DX02 is.

What I said was valid, the only thing dumb is people thinking that a figure made of rubber and plastic can leak a petroleum by product. It just can't. People need to be more cautious with there figures and to take care of them.

If someone came up to me and said "My god, my batman is leaking oil!" I would be more suspect of the person and how they took care of the figure rather then believing the batman figure could be the source of a million dollar oil well...

Read this thread, then come back and comment, at the moment you come across as very stupid and uninformed:
https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71433

Edit: Actually scratch that, after reading your other posts, you are obviously just trolling. Just go away.

:lol:lol:lol:lol

Buzzy is happily distracted today.

Google Denise Milani for your pleasure. And Jordan Carver too.

tumblr_lifl6pNvwx1qb0nmbo1_500.jpg

:horror:love:horror

Last edited:
Not trying to start a fight but I really think it has been blow out of proportion. I've had mine like I've said since the first of Feb and have no issues. I did have the DX02 as you can see from the bottom pic and it leaked from day one. Unless they decided to change the rubber from one release to the other. If i'm mistaken didn't someone say before that they do put some type of oil on the body to put the suit on that could be the problem. :dunno

I have a good friend who is an engineer for Stanley/Dewalt. He is going to ask a co-worker tomorrow who is a chemical engineer what the scientific reasons for this happening are.

Back