Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed on the production design. Maybe I'm too influenced by Lynch's movie, but this does look a bit drab and uninspired (however, the Atreides were a drab bunch anyway, weren't they? I think they all dressed very militaristic). Nothing really stands out. Having said that, we've really seen very little so far... we haven't seen the Padishah Emperor and his court, or the Harkonnens in all their glory (the Baron does lok interesting though), or the Navigators... so there's still a lot to discover. The trailer really leans on the action and romance, which is fair enough, they do want to get the younger crowd and Chalet/Zendaya fans excited. From what I've seen of earlier Villeneuve films, I'm sure the whole political intrigue and religious/ecological themes will get their fair share. But if you have Jason Momoa riding the wave of Aquaman popularity, you have to use that in your trailer to get fans interested.

I remain quietly confident about this movie.
I can't say that I loved the Lynch aesthetics, they were more campy than operatic. The stillsuits were great though. I do like the film though, it's how I got into Dune by going through his filmography. The Atreides look the best out of the whole bunch. Simple, but still distinctive enough. It's the drab architecture and overall style that leaves me cold. Harkonnens got the "Space Nazis" treatment, and between that and that "opressors" line, I'm expecting a very toned down, politically correct take on the entire thing. I can see the General Audience lapping it up and teen girls latching onto the romance, but it's going to be a very watered down and safe Dune, with its political and religious themes being warped.

It'll probably still be a good movie, but I doubt it'll be the Dune adaptation I wanted.

I can't say that I loved the Lynch aesthetics, they were more campy than operatic. The stillsuits were great though. I do like the film though, it's how I got into Dune by going through his filmography. The Atreides look the best out of the whole bunch. Simple, but still distinctive enough. It's the drab architecture and overall style that leaves me cold. Harkonnens got the "Space Nazis" treatment, and between that and that "opressors" line, I'm expecting a very toned down, politically correct take on the entire thing. I can see the General Audience lapping it up and teen girls latching onto the romance, but it's going to be a very watered down and safe Dune, with its political and religious themes being warped.

It'll probably still be a good movie, but I doubt it'll be the Dune adaptation I wanted.
Actually, I didn't like the production design of Lynch's Dune back when I first saw it, it seemed too "Flash Gordon" to me back then, but I've come to appreciate it with time. It does evoke the whole idea of a civilisation that has (in a way) forsaken the primacy of technology and embraced a more "mystical" and feudal way of life across the galaxy.

Actually, I didn't like the production design of Lynch's Dune back when I first saw it, it seemed too "Flash Gordon" to me back then, but I've come to appreciate it with time. It does evoke the whole idea of a civilisation that has (in a way) forsaken the primacy of technology and embraced a more "mystical" and feudal way of life across the galaxy.
There are parts of it I do love, such as most of the outfits and the general direction. But then there are things like the exaggerated hair and eyebrows, that it makes it feel like a live-action cartoon Dune. It's got more good than bad IMHO, and I do like the film in general, but it's not a homerun. I do think it was good enough to spawn a franchise though, but obviously it failed.

I've never made it through Lynch's Dune even once.

But I've seen Jodorowsky's Dune at least three times...one of my all time favorite documentaries. It's just so insane thinking of what that movie would have actually looked and sounded like if they had the funding to do it the way he wanted.

Maybe it's better this way. The Star Wars prequels I imagined in my head as were better than what we actually got. And the songs I imagined were DEFINITELY better than what was released as "Chinese Democracy."

Well, for a story that's essentially Lawrence of Arabia in space, but more focused on religious (ummm, literally space "jihad"...😬) than ethnic uprising against the dueling empires, it makes sense they'd try to mine the more identity politics-friendly aspects.

I felt the same way with this new trailer as the original one - I like it, but the story as presented remains pretty dense and hard to get a handle on for an average audience member. It's why they've tried to use ethnicity/costume to visually signal what its about, a kind of Avatar-esque uprising story, but the trailer's second half becomes a bit muddled in that regard, because that's not really what's going on in the book.

I just think beyond basic spectacle, it's going to struggle to find a relevancy milking space nazis and other-cultures allied/influenced heroes like Star Wars did four decades ago. Beyond an obvious IP impetus, it seems weak in the "why?" and "why now?" questions, at least based on this trailer.
Dune had political and religious themes, it wasn't just a pulpy syfy story. But this is a warping of them so that they can fit with the current moral guidelines. And from what I'm getting from this and the details about the "Sisterhood" show, this is Brian hijacking the brand to push his fanfics over his father's original vision. You can't mix every conflict in history and boil it down to the same basics. The Fremen weren't "noble savages" living on some paradise that was mined by evil colonialists. They're dumbing down and warping the core tenents of the story. I get it, but I don't like it. Dune has enough social commentary to not need any changes, but here we are.

I hope it flops, if I'm being completely honest. I don't want Hack Brian to make money, petty as it sounds.

Dune had political and religious themes, it wasn't just a pulpy syfy story. But this is a warping of them so that they can fit with the current moral guidelines. And from what I'm getting from this and the details about the "Sisterhood" show, this is Brian hijacking the brand to push his fanfics over his father's original vision. You can't mix every conflict in history and boil it down to the same basics. The Fremen weren't "noble savages" living on some paradise that was mined by evil colonialists. They're dumbing down and warping the core tenents of the story. I get it, but I don't like it. Dune has enough social commentary to not need any changes, but here we are.

I hope it flops, if I'm being completely honest. I don't want Hack Brian to make money, petty as it sounds.
It sounds like Dune should be a series on HBO or Netflix.

Back