Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only problem is that studios will start avoiding that genre, and talented directors like Dennis Villeneuve will get fewer projects because they will be seen as being unappealing to audiences.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

True...but I would prefer to get four or five great genre films that bomb until the studios figure it out than none at all because there is nothing that I can do to get more of the masses to want to go see a Science Fiction art film instead of the latest Fast and Furious movie. Fortunately it seems that the studios are slow to learn to avoid the genre and Directors like Villeneuve...case in point he is going right from the commercial failure of BR 2049 to Dune...

Agreed. With Game of Thrones ending, it's a shame HBO didn't see this as a potential followup. Dune is too dense for a single film as David Lynch's version showed. But Villeneuve is a talented filmmaker and a bigger sic-fi fan than Lynch was, so I'm hopeful that he can crack it.

DUNE would have a fantastic home on a streaming provider or cable movie network as a series. It truly is one of the best sci-fi universes crafted in books.

I’ve read basically all of the books, even the Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson prequels, sequels and interquel novels. Unfortunately they don’t really have the novella talent that Frank did but I did like the prequels and how they linked some stuff together.

I’d love to see this continue past the first book as the cast is really fantastic. I wonder who is going to play Feyd-Rautha

So I've started reading Dune again (must be my third or fourth time around), and while I know the story perfectly well, I was surprised to see things that reminded me of Star Wars... the Bene Gesserit "Voice" that allowed them to control others, "Maula" meaning slave, Paul being a young boy trained to overthrow the Empire... I'm sure I'll find a lot more as I go through the book.

On a side note, I read that WB is also making a series about the Bene Gesserit.

Trailer looks absolutely amazing. It gave me chills. Dune has by far been my most anticipated film of the year. I’ve only read the first Dune book years ago. I don’t know why I never read any of the sequels. I actually enjoyed the Lynch film at the time with it’s over the top performances. I also liked the mini-series (although wasn’t crazy about the lead actor). But this is next level. Incredible cast and the cinematography, effects and world-building all look phenomenal. Villanueva is one of the best directors working today.

New trailer looks ******* amazing.

Hoping someone good announces a sixth scale license soon.

Except Hot Toys, they'll only make Zendaya.

I didn't like BR2049, such a long burn movie. Villeneuve is known for those and I suspect this will be the same. Trailers look good anyway.

Everything's shaping up to be a home-run with this movie. Really do someone picks up the license.

That is one impressive trailer.
Oddly, I didn't recognise a single line of dialogue from the novel. The tone they're going for seems vastly different from the Lynch version, which I guess is a good thing... :lol

Looks most impressive. I'm mixed on Villeneuve of the few films of his I've seen - didn't like Arrival but loved Blade Runner 2049. Not mad on Sicario but very much enjoyed Prisoners.

Looks most impressive. I'm mixed on Villeneuve of the few films of his I've seen - didn't like Arrival but loved Blade Runner 2049. Not mad on Sicario but very much enjoyed Prisoners.
I liked Arrival but nothing about it stayed with me; quite enjoyed Sicario, and have only seen BR 2049 once, in the theatre. It didn't leave a great impression on me but maybe bears a second viewing. I may have just been too close to the IMAX screen. The sound sucked.

Back