Dune (2020) by Dennis Villeneuve

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The movie doesn't look very commercial. The production design and costumes also seem very minimalistic and simple, so it makes for boring visuals and merchandise. It's not Harrison Ford in a t shirt bad, like Villeneuve's last bomb, but this one doesn't have a naked Ana de Armas or neon lights to keep you interested. It has lots of sand and I hate sand.

The villains sound and look cool, but the main character, he looks likes he's bored the whole time or maybe he's just sleepy because his dreams keep waking him up. :lol

giphy.gif

Predictable, banal, quippy, watered down and missing the point. I'll buy a dolly of Paul, maybe Leto, but I'm not expecting anything. Dune should just not be adapted at this point, its themes are just too alien to the modern world. And I had such hopes...

Looks most impressive. I'm mixed on Villeneuve of the few films of his I've seen - didn't like Arrival but loved Blade Runner 2049. Not mad on Sicario but very much enjoyed Prisoners.
I didn’t get all the hype behind arrival either. The “twist” wasn’t mind blowing to me like it was to others. I loved Blade Runner 2049 though. Dune looks amazing so far. It’s a shame that this will probably flop because then we’ll never see part II. This probably ends with a huge cliffhanger too.

The movie doesn't look very commercial. The production design and costumes also seem very minimalistic and simple, so it makes for boring visuals and merchandise. It's not Harrison Ford in a t shirt bad, like Villeneuve's last bomb, but this one doesn't have a naked Ana de Armas or neon lights to keep you interested. It has lots of sand and I hate sand.

The villains sound and look cool, but the main character, he looks likes he's bored the whole time or maybe he's just sleepy because his dreams keep waking him up. :lol
Last bomb?! 2049 is a masterpiece.

Although I did question the Ford in a t-shirt too. Was there ever an explanation to that choice of costume?

giphy.gif

Predictable, banal, quippy, watered down and missing the point. I'll buy a dolly of Paul, maybe Leto, but I'm not expecting anything. Dune should just not be adapted at this point, its themes are just too alien to the modern world. And I had such hopes...
You got all that from a trailer?

You got all that from a trailer?
...Yeah? Why else would I single them out? The suits and direction are uninspired, the quips cliche and the angle they're going for misses the mark. It'll probably turn out to be a competently made film. I'm not making assumptions as to its quality as a movie, but as an adaptation I'm dissapointed. It's just not a property that can get a wide release in this day and age.

LOL I already knew you'd hate it (I recall our discussion wherein you took aim at the production design). The quips won't bother me as long as it doesn't go full MCU. I remain hyped for this film, I'll judge it afterwards.

LOL I already knew you'd hate it (I recall our discussion wherein you took aim at the production design). The quips won't bother me as long as it doesn't go full MCU. I remain hyped for this film, I'll judge it afterwards.
Yeah, last year or so, around the time the first trailer dropped. I haven't finished the books yet (debating whether to go beyond God Emperor or not), but this just isn't what I envisioned Dune as a property to be. I see it as more Operatic. Unironically, Lucas' PT, production wise at least, was closer to what I imagined. I never liked the Jodo approach much, beyond the casting choices, so it's not like I want it to be some psychedelic trip. But this watered down approach robs it of its identity and makes it another drab Sci-Fi. The misuse of its themes bothers me too. I get it, Dune's not exactly a politically correct book, but it rubs me off the wrong way. I'm more forgiving with the Apple Foundation, since it needs a more concrete arc and action to be translated to the big screen. But Dune's so interesting on its own that when you can do so much with it, and end up with something as bland as "le serious man's frowny face is his smile", and water down it to "b-but pappah, I don wanna be Duke", then you're already on a faulty path.

It'll probably be a competently made and entartaining movie that I'll enjoy in a vacuum, but it's DUNC, not Dune.

1626897812401.jpg

I'd probably still buy some good merch though. There's not much in the market in terms of Dune related things.

It'll probably be a competently made and entartaining movie that I'll enjoy in a vacuum, but it's DUNC, not Dune.
While I hate obvious pandering, and often enough don't appreciate needless departures from source material, I remain open to a degree of re-interpretation in spite of the fact this is one of my favourite works of all time. The novel is its own thing and untouchable.

The film ... I see it the same way I see Shakespeare. Many ways to tell a given story. It'll either do it justice or it won't, but I'll allow the film to stand or fall on its own merits.

(As for 'God Emperor', it's got interesting ideas but I think it's unnecessary, as was 'Children' in my opinion -- a quick read though so worth it. I will always have a copy of Dune on my shelf but don't care much about the other novels beyond an exercise in seeing more of that universe and seeing where Herbert took his concepts.)

While I hate obvious pandering, and often enough don't appreciate needless departures from source material, I remain open to a degree of re-interpretation in spite of the fact this is one of my favourite works of all time. The novel is its own thing and untouchable.

The film ... I see it the same way I see Shakespeare. Many ways to tell a given story. It'll either do it justice or it won't, but I'll allow the film to stand or fall on its own merits.

(As for 'God Emperor', it's got interesting ideas but I think it's unnecessary, as was 'Children' in my opinion -- a quick read though so worth it. I will always have a copy of Dune on my shelf but don't care much about the other novels beyond an exercise in seeing more of that universe and seeing where Herbert took his concepts.)
Those are fair points. You can't expect a 2-hour blockbuster adaptation to capture everything from a book. It just deviates too much for me to see it as "Dune but in cinema" and instead it's "Dune, but what if it was Dune lite". As a film I do think it'll be well made across all facets, but as a translation of the source material, every new piece of info lets me down more. It's evident that WB wants their own Star Wars and is trying to turn it into a family friendly adventure that will give itself to spinoffs. Avatar wants to be turned into a Sci-Fi Franchise, this one now, it'll be interesting to see if they churn out something or if they crash and burn. This whole thing reminds me of how they wanted to turn After Earth, that Will Smith flick, into a huge IP and phenomenon, with videogames and everything. Dune's got more appeal, and they are trying to ride the political wave, so I can see them having some success. It's just not what I wanted so I'm feeling dissapointed. I'm sure it'll make for a pleasant viewing experience though.

I'll read up until God Emperor for sure, it's the rest of them that I'm undecided on.

To be fair, the BR2049 trailers did nothing to convey what the film really was.

To be fair, the BR2049 trailers did nothing to convey what the film really was.
Yeah, good point. It was sold as a more action-y vehicle. If you were an average joe and saw it, the lines and tone made it seem as if there was going to be some big replicant uprising resulting in a big fight in the end. But I'm not hopeful. It just all feels wrong. I might be pleasantly surprised come October, maybe the quips in the trailer are all that exist in the entire film, maybe there's more pomp and grandeur, but so far, I remain unimpressed.

I regret not seeing 2049 at the cinema. Not sure what happened but it just seemed to come and go without much noise. Hopefully catch Dune on the big screen.
Don't stop at the normal cinema Greygoose. I had the privilege of seeing 2049 at IMAX. OMG seriously do yourself the favour !

The artistic visuals, the sound everything !!

I'm definitely seeing Dune at IMAX !! I'll even drive the 2 hrs to get to one.

Don't stop at the normal cinema Greygoose. I had the privilege of seeing 2049 at IMAX. OMG seriously do yourself the favour !

The artistic visuals, the sound everything !!

I'm definitely seeing Dune at IMAX !! I'll even drive the 2 hrs to get to one.
Yep, gutted to have missed it. The film looked and sounded great on my standard TV setup. Cinema would have been next level!

God Emperor is one of my favourites. I don't care much for Messiah and Children though. Chapterhouse is also very good.

Yeah, last year or so, around the time the first trailer dropped. I haven't finished the books yet (debating whether to go beyond God Emperor or not), but this just isn't what I envisioned Dune as a property to be. I see it as more Operatic. Unironically, Lucas' PT, production wise at least, was closer to what I imagined. I never liked the Jodo approach much, beyond the casting choices, so it's not like I want it to be some psychedelic trip. But this watered down approach robs it of its identity and makes it another drab Sci-Fi. The misuse of its themes bothers me too. I get it, Dune's not exactly a politically correct book, but it rubs me off the wrong way. I'm more forgiving with the Apple Foundation, since it needs a more concrete arc and action to be translated to the big screen. But Dune's so interesting on its own that when you can do so much with it, and end up with something as bland as "le serious man's frowny face is his smile", and water down it to "b-but pappah, I don wanna be Duke", then you're already on a faulty path.

View attachment 532265

I'd probably still buy some good merch though. There's not much in the market in terms of Dune related things.
Agreed on the production design. Maybe I'm too influenced by Lynch's movie, but this does look a bit drab and uninspired (however, the Atreides were a drab bunch anyway, weren't they? I think they all dressed very militaristic). Nothing really stands out. Having said that, we've really seen very little so far... we haven't seen the Padishah Emperor and his court, or the Harkonnens in all their glory (the Baron does lok interesting though), or the Navigators... so there's still a lot to discover. The trailer really leans on the action and romance, which is fair enough, they do want to get the younger crowd and Chalet/Zendaya fans excited. From what I've seen of earlier Villeneuve films, I'm sure the whole political intrigue and religious/ecological themes will get their fair share. But if you have Jason Momoa riding the wave of Aquaman popularity, you have to use that in your trailer to get fans interested.

I remain quietly confident about this movie.

Back