Duke Nukem Forever [PC, PS3, Xbox 360]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never think they do a good job. They are bought and paid for and don't give alot of games fair shakes. I prefer to look at what actual players think vs companies. That's all I'm saying. If looking to those who are my peers opinion instead of some corporate entity makes me a fanboy so be it

Last edited:
I find it funny people call IGN reviews crap when they rate something low, but when it's a 9+, everyone cheers and says "good job IGN, great review IGN."

Fanboys are the worst.

I find it funny that people actually like IGN's reviews...

I find it funny people call IGN reviews crap when they rate something low, but when it's a 9+, everyone cheers and says "good job IGN, great review IGN."

Fanboys are the worst.

I have never once truly heard anyone praise IGN unless they were employees in disguise. Every review I have seen them do always seems somehow bias in some way even with games that deserve better, if I remember correctly Assassins creed 2 received three review scores from IGN, and they are as follows, 360 = 9.2, PS3 = 9.2 and PC=8.9, the reason for the drop is because the reviewer thought the game play would have been better with a game pad, a better example would be mass effect 2 a game that they rated a 9.6 for the Xbox version while giving the PS3 version a 9.5, if you go into the review and break it down to the summary you'll notice that they nit pick the PS3 version more so than the Xbox version. The point i'm trying to make is since IGN has been purchased by Xbox they are no longer the reviewing company they were where they would review objectively and not only on one console first. That is what everyones complaint is instead of IGN actually playing the game through on all three consoles and saying which ones the best to get they completly bash the game if it doesn't play well on the Xbox 360, nevermind the fact that it could just be a bad port and the PS3 version or the PC version can be great and work flawlessly.

Any true gamer knows that IGN and some of these other game review companies like game informer are bias and should take their reviews with a grain of salt whether positive or negative instead gamers should flock to independent reviewers in numbers like the Angry Joe Show or Nastolgia Critic or even Machinima because if anything their reviews will be more down to earth and won't be biased entirely, truthfully I would like to see IGN return to that but I don't expect it anytime soon, not until they seperate from their corporate overmasters over at microsoft.

EDIT:Karma please do everyone a favor and post spoiler tags on that review link, since it does containt spoilers and can spoil it for people who will not be getting the game until the 14th

Last edited:
Well if the game is a piece of crap at least the balls of steel edition comes with a cool bust and an art book, granted some of that art was leaked. I wonder if Neca will make some of the aliens from the game?

yea the BOSE comes with alot of cool stuff. It seems that people either think the game is great or think its pure junk. I'll know tomorrow when I pick it up. If I don't end up liking the game I'll be disappointed but I'm still optimistic at this point.

With all these reviews I think I'll wait until it hits $30.... doesn't seem like a $60 game.

I'm honestly kind of surprised that they did this. The game is it's released is just so far behind in level design and graphics (not to mention performance)

I probably wouldn't have released it in this state so I can't imagine how they would have decided it was a good project to pick up 2 years ago.

Got my Balls of Steel. Played for three hours straight before taking a break to read through the art book and comic. Cool extra swag they put in and the bust is actually resin, it seems! My only gripe is that the poker chips are also resin (would've been nice to have a more durable material there) and that the paper craft model looks like something out of Minecraft.

As far as the game goes, I'm loving it. Great performance, graphics are still next-gen so I can't complain, creature designs are great... it's modernized Duke, which is all I was hoping for. Those IGN reviewers probably hated the original Duke Nukem 3D. Either that, or they're too busy comparing DNF to other modern shooters like COD -- when Duke Nukem is and always will be a 90's-based game. If you're not a fan or are expecting the next Crysis, this game isn't for you. It was a love letter to the fans from the very beginning and I think we got just that.

All this, setting aside some of the ridiculous claims IGN made during their gameplay commentary during the RC car ride in the Ladykiller level. I played that level and in no way was I bored or unable to figure out what to do. Those reviewers clearly had a negative mindset from the very beginning and continued asking "Why am I doing this?" throughout the video, when you might as well ask the same question of every other shooter. If it's too simple, they complain. If you can do too much extra interactive stuff, it's too pointless.
I should also remind everyone that at one point, the commentator stated that the battles don't get any bigger or more interesting than that certain area -- something he said two minutes after admitting he hadn't beaten the game yet. The funniest part is how they moaned about how the game should be more complex, "like Serious Sam." Um... :lol This warrants a "b___h, please" from me, because Serious Sam (while a great time) is one of the simplest, most repetitive, and most monotonous shooters ever created.

Why anyone would take such contradictory and obviously-biased comments seriously is beyond me. When you have a game that some people hate and others love, it's a no-brainer that the only way to truly judge it is to play it and see what you think. I may trust review sites for bigger releases, but all I saw here was a bunch of pessimistic dudes (who had made up their mind about DNF long before playing) crapping on what I think is a great game. And with a shot-up argument, no less.
It's not an industry-changing game of course, however the thing to remember is that it was never meant to be. Maybe back in 1997, sure. Now? It's just pure nostalgic fun.

Last edited:
All this, setting aside some of the ridiculous claims IGN made during their gameplay commentary during the RC car ride in the Ladykiller level. I played that level and in no way was I bored or unable to figure out what to do. Those reviewers clearly had a negative mindset from the very beginning and continued asking "Why am I doing this?" throughout the video, when you might as well as the same question of every other shooter. If it's too simple, they complain. If you can do too much extra interactive stuff, it's too pointless. I should also remind everyone that at one point, the commentator stated that the battles don't get any more complex than that certain area -- something he said two minutes after admitting he hadn't beaten the game yet.

I agree, The entire review read like this. I put zero stock into IGN reviews anyway.

I'm not that far into it yet but so far I really like it. There is room for improvement sure, but overall I still stand by what I said about those negative reviews. The game doesn't deserve a 5.5 but it also doesn't deserve a 10. I'll have to finish the game to make a final judgement. Also I played some round of TDM and although its nothing new, its fun to play. I have the PC Balls of Steel version and its supposedly the best version of the three. The biggest issue I've heard the console versions have that screws up the graphics is something called motion blur. On the PC you can turn it off, but on the consoles its always on. My friend has both the PC and PS3 version and he said that makes a huge difference in the look of the game.

P.S. Blade3327 I couldn't have said that better myself!!!!!!!

My only nitpick about the game so far is that the PC version has some issues with the multiplayer servers losing host connections. You can still join and play at least one game before getting taken back to the menu and it's fairly fast and clean to join another, so it's not that big a problem.

I'm only three hours into the campaign and played about 30 minutes of multiplayer last night. Today I'll make a bit more leveling progress, since the whole giant unlockable/explorable penthouse thing is just too cool. Didn't see any reviews mention that, though it's definitely takes things up a notch. :rock

My only nitpick about the game so far is that the PC version has some issues with the multiplayer servers losing host connections. You can still join and play at least one game before getting taken back to the menu and it's fairly fast and clean to join another, so it's not that big a problem.

I'm only three hours into the campaign and played about 30 minutes of multiplayer last night. Today I'll make a bit more leveling progress, since the whole giant unlockable/explorable penthouse thing is just too cool. Didn't see any reviews mention that, though it's definitely takes things up a notch. :rock

Yea that penthouse section is awesome. My biggest complaint honestly is that my Performance MX wireless mouse doesn't like the game. Duke, Portal 2, and Civ 5 have issues with it so I had to buy a wired mouse for those games. That and that AT laser gun is kinda crappy.

Hey Blade if you are up for it maybe we should play multi one day!

Got a Steam member name? Mine's the same as my SSF account.

And yeah, that AT laser is pretty useless. I'm getting great results with the Ripper and pipe bombs, so I generally stick with those.

I lasted 1.5 hours playing Duke Nukem Forever. The only reason I played it for that long was because I thought it was a joke by the developers for the opening of the game and that maybe the game would flower into brilliance.

Limp erectile disfunction. Duke let me down...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBx8J4NXXmA"]YouTube - ‪NECA Duke Nukem and PC Balls of Steel Review‬‏[/ame]

My review of the NECA Duke and the Balls of Steel PC.

Back