Does anyone here just not like Frankenstein 1931?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bride of Frankenstein is one of those rare instances where the sequel is superior to the original.

Personally, I think Dracula (1931) is much stiffer and less dynamic than Frankenstein. Lugosi is great but the rest of the film is flat.

If you've ever seen the play, it's understandable. The film was just a glorified version of it.

If you didn't like Frankenstein, I can't imagine how you would like Dracula. The first twenty minutes are as superb and atmospheric as you can get in a classic horror film- then when Drac arrives in England, it goes downhill from there.

I still love it, and enjoy the later parts because of it's creaky, dreamlike stagey-ness, but it really isn't as entertaining as Frankenstein or The Mummy. It's sequel, Dracula's Daughter, is much tighter-paced and improves on most of the original's flaws.

Dracula for me is more entertaining than The Mummy, but less so than Frankenstein. But to each their own of course. For some reason, The Mummy bores the hell out of me every time.

If you didn't like Frankenstein, I can't imagine how you would like Dracula. The first twenty minutes are as superb and atmospheric as you can get in a classic horror film- then when Drac arrives in England, it goes downhill from there.

I still love it, and enjoy the later parts because of it's creaky, dreamlike stagey-ness, but it really isn't as entertaining as Frankenstein or The Mummy. It's sequel, Dracula's Daughter, is much tighter-paced and improves on most of the original's flaws.

^ It's a very well directed film, and it's incredibly atmospheric. But so was Silent Hill. And Silent Hill didnt have much of a story, or characters.

I dont hate the movie. I just dont care for it.

^ nothing wrong with that. The character of the monster is really interesting imo. There's a lot of deep stuff in that big foreheaded guy;

While I won't watch it every chance I get, I appreciate Frankenstein for what it achieved way back when. At the time, it was pretty much the scariest friggin' thing ever, and they did a lot with very little.

As far as the other Universal films go, I enjoy the first act of Dracula but find the rest of it to be a damn snoozefest, though I own the super duper DVD set because I'm a Dracula fanatic. My favorite of the group is The Wolfman, which I saw for the first time about 5 years ago. I don't know what it is..maybe the atmosphere or the incredible sets, but for the most part I felt like it hadn't aged a day when I watched it. I absolutely adore that flick.

Now, i'm going to ask this question, it's silly but...

Aside from characters, and events, how close is the original Wolfman to the 2010 remake? Because the remake blew. Is the main character atleast more interesting then 2010's Talbot?

Now, i'm going to ask this question, it's silly but...

Aside from characters, and events, how close is the original Wolfman to the 2010 remake? Because the remake blew. Is the main character atleast more interesting then 2010's Talbot?

Similar, but different enough to enjoy anew. And, yes.

Back