Do you think there will be a new 1/6 LOTR figure shown at SDCC?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what did Dusty say Carbo?

Here's what she said:

SideshowDusty said:
My best guess is because we don't want to break all the great announcements at once. If we showed every cool thing coming out for the remainder of the year at the show, well, that would not be very fun for our newsletter readers, etc. That's the typical Sideshow MO - keep it coming all year long. Also, trying to teach collectors that patience is a virtue

You guys may be waiting a while for the rest of the fellowship or even the next figure. This line is on hold right now. They still have a ton of Frodo and Sam's in stock and if they can't get rid of those, what makes you think they'd waste the time and money on Merry and Pippen?

My head tells me that you are right.

My heart tells me that Sideshow will annouce at least another LOTR 12-inch figure before GTG ships.

Logic tells me that you are right and that this line is now "officially on hiatus". :(

I gotta agree. It's obvious that all their energy and resources are devoted to their Star Wars cash cow right now. They'll most likely release Gandalf at some point this year, but I'm betting it'll be the last LOTR figure we see for a long time, if not forever.

:(

Yeah, after speaking with several SSC folks (including Chris, who we all know is a huge LOTR guy) it's pretty clear that this line is dead in the water. At least for the moment. :(

They have TONS of the hobbits (including the exclusives) and even Gandalf isn't selling all that well. They have absolutely no plans at this point for Merry/Pippin or Gimli.

The chances we'll ever see the complete Fellowship is 50/50, at best. Our best hope is that they cling onto the license for at least 3-4 more years and the HOBBIT film starts a resurgence.

Yeah, after speaking with several SSC folks (including Chris, who we all know is a huge LOTR guy) it's pretty clear that this line is dead in the water. At least for the moment. :(

They have TONS of the hobbits (including the exclusives) and even Gandalf isn't selling all that well. They have absolutely no plans at this point for Merry/Pippin or Gimli.

The chances we'll ever see the complete Fellowship is 50/50, at best. Our best hope is that they cling onto the license for at least 3-4 more years and the HOBBIT film starts a resurgence.

This is what makes you a ******. I already said all of this and said it in a non namedropping way. Yet you need to come in and reiterate what I already said but mention how you talked to several SSC folks. I was standing there with you but didn't feel the need to namedrop. Is it like a disease with you?

This is all on SS, they completely f*&ked it up
Had they doen Gimli first they would have sold tons more hobitts as people woould have wanted them to complete the fellowship, and since they had made the bodies they could have dropped all four hobitts at once, even sold them as a set, they would have sold more

This is all on SS, they completely f*&ked it up
Had they doen Gimli first they would have sold tons more hobitts as people woould have wanted them to complete the fellowship, and since they had made the bodies they could have dropped all four hobitts at once, even sold them as a set, they would have sold more

Don't blame SS. This is completely on the people. They had people crying for Hobbits since the line was announced. They pre-sold a ton and then had a huge cancellation rate (even after people saw that these looked great in hand). This is on the collectors for not coming through with orders. Why should SS lose even more money on this line when their clearly isn't that much of a desire for it?

On this occasion I appreciate the inclusion of the names. It makes it seem more solid and less like a depressed delusion that the line is going on ... *sob*... HIATUS... *sob* :crying

But hey, we have one fabulous Faramir to go with the Fellowship. :cuss

It's strange that they don't understand that the last three Fellowship figures would be guaranteed sales. And the release of those figures would probably move Frodo, Sam and Gandalf. Do they not see that the reason they're sitting on those hobbits is because people don't expect to get a complete Fellowship?

Don't blame SS. This is completely on the people. They had people crying for Hobbits since the line was announced. They pre-sold a ton and then had a huge cancellation rate (even after people saw that these looked great in hand). This is on the collectors for not coming through with orders. Why should SS lose even more money on this line when their clearly isn't that much of a desire for it?

Yes and no. I see it as a two way street. Had the release schedule not been so long and drawn out and the actual releases been a little more fan friendly, their customer base may not have weened so low. This happened with BTVS and Highlander too..

It seems to me the choice of character release is of almost paramount importance in determining the success or failure of a line.

It's strange that they don't understand that the last three Fellowship figures would be guaranteed sells for exactly that reason. Do they not see that the reason they're sitting on those hobbits is because people don't expect to get a complete Fellowship?

Exactly. Its a catch 22. People aren't buying the Frodo and Sam because they don't have faith in the line.

Yup. And the longer people had to wait for them, the more convinced they became that the line was in trouble.

It would have done wonders in the way of preventing hobbit cancellations if they had announced Gimli.

Yes and no. I see it as a two way street. Had the release schedule not been so long and drawn out and the actual releases been a little more fan friendly, their customer base may not have weened so low. This happened with BTVS and Highlander too..

It seems to me the choice of character release is of almost paramount importance in determining the success or failure of a line.

Well put, SS spends to much time on minor lines and novelity crappola

lotr12ct5.jpg

That doesn't seem as bad as the Buffy line.

Back