Do you buy HT just to resell?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because that muscle body make his head look small.

Here are some extra HT Indy clothes on a TT.

100_5181.jpg

This is the Adv. TT body (at least the neck)

I not using the TT for the neck articulation, but rather because of it's smaller size. The muscle body is just to large for Indiana Jones and the Ezio is too expensive and rare now. This one is for the Map Room bash I'm doing and the neck joint won't be visible anyways.
But you just gave me an idea, I wonder if it would be possible to cut the neck and shoulders off the muscle body and place it over the TT neckless body, since it rubber.. Like a trutleneck dicky.

It is possible to mod the rubber neck to make it less thick. I'll split the neck at the seems at both sides and cut off excess rubber and reglue back the neck. The diameter of the interior frame may also need to be reduced.

You can separate the entire rubber muscle exterior from the Muscle body without cutting the rubber off as this person did with his. Such a waste

0793.jpg

It is possible to mod the rubber neck to make it less thick. I'll split the neck at the seems at both sides and cut off excess rubber and reglue back the neck. The diameter of the interior frame may also need to be reduced.

You can separate the entire rubber muscle exterior from the Muscle body without cutting the rubber off as this person did with his. Such a waste

0793.jpg

:horror

That is a waste. Like I said, it was just a thought I quickly had, but seeing that, the rubber's to thick. And if I would have really want to try it, i would have used a broken body.

Hot toys is no different, unlike sideshow and other polystone statues that have intrinsic value, HT is just cheap plastic toys with some cloth and its only value is due to speculation and above quoted posters' thinking. It's no different than buying some barbie dolls and say they are worth hundreds $$.
While I tend to agree with some of your sentiment here, I'm not sure how you figure polystone statues have this great "intrinsic" value. I can buy a sturdy, heavy, polystone-like lawn ornament from Lowes for $15-20. If it were shaped and painted like Spiderman and sold by Sideshow, it would cost $350.

I think you don't know what that means.
LOL

While I tend to agree with some of your sentiment here, I'm not sure how you figure polystone statues have this great "intrinsic" value. I can buy a sturdy, heavy, polystone-like lawn ornament from Lowes for $15-20. If it were shaped and painted like Spiderman and sold by Sideshow, it would cost $350.

LOL

that's a valid question. The answer is hot toys are plastic and manufactured by machines, they wont last and will breakdown like all plastic toys and more importantly new+better plastic toys will come along as technology advances. Look at those card action figures back in the day they worth quite a bit of money to collectors back then no? but nowdays very few want them because they look like crap compared to the new figures, same will happen down the line to hot toys, in fact some of its early work is already showing its age. Look how much the old batman figures dropped with the new releases.

Sideshow and other statues are polystone which will last forever, and more important they are hand painted so there is no time premium loss. Human's ability to paint does not improve over time. Same as a painting, a classic will always be a classic and worth the price, sure there will be other similar paintings in the future but it doesnt matter.

There are of course plenty of bad statues with bad sculpt/paint that wont be worth much, and even some of the good ones that will lose value as it's replaced with similar versions. But most classics will remain so - it lies in the sculpt/paint/intricate details that will rarely be recreated just like a painting, for example the hulk, conan prize, starcraft marine, some of master replicas ships etc.. highly doubt they will lose value overtime. And to identify a good statue vs a crappy one is the same as an art collector trying to find the right painting...instinct, experience and a keen eye.

That's the difference between a machine manufactured plastic toy vs a hand painted ploystone statue. And in your example, if that garden gnome is so well sculpted and painted it will retain the money, like the many $100 polystone statues sideshow made that are in the $400+ range. but i doubt such garden gnomes exist, maybe if sideshow made an ultra detailed gnomeo and juliet statue in some odd pose..oh the horror :lol

Last edited:
the only "intrinsic" value a statue has is as land fill or a paper weight. They, like toys, are worth something because people want to pay for it. It really doesn't matter what material its made out of. Human man hours can be spent digging a hole and then filling it back up 1000 times. That doesn't make the hole worth more.

You're also fooling yourself if you think the people hand painting statues are "artists". They are no different than employees adding eyelets to a pair of Nikes. They get told what to paint, how to paint it. Paint by numbers. Thats not art.

Last edited:
The answer is hot toys are plastic and manufactured by machines, they wont last and will breakdown like all plastic toys and more importantly new+better plastic toys will come along as technology advances. Look at those card action figures back in the day they worth quite a bit of money to collectors back then no, but nowdays very few want them because they look like crap compared to the new figures,

My old megos seem to be holding their value pretty well despite being quite cartoonish and crappy looking.

Also, Hot Toys head sculpts are hand painted, and in general, are painted far better than are Sideshow pieces (statues and figures). I believe that most Sideshow figure heads are painted by a factory machine. It seems like they point it out when some are hand painted (like the Beachhead Ex. head).

Also, Hot Toys head sculpts are hand painted, and in general, are painted far better than are Sideshow pieces (statues and figures). I believe that most Sideshow figure heads are painted by a factory machine. It seems like they point it out when some are hand painted (like the Beachhead Ex. head).

oh the sideshow 12" figures are no different than hot toys stuff, i am only talking about hand painted polystone type statues, not a brand.

i am not trying to debate with you guys, just stating my opinions on value in plastic figures vs polystone statues, collect what you like and that's all that matters. I do have quite a few hot toy figures too just because they look cool. /shrug

I don't buy anything to resell. I buy for myself because I enjoy collecting. That's why I barely sold anything from my collection.

I never buy HT with the intention to sell them on. It's probably just were people start of buying figures from all different genre of films & then decide to stick to a theme, due to space or not being able to afford to keep up with everything they want. Obviously there is flippers out there to, there's no denying that.

oh the sideshow 12" figures are no different than hot toys stuff, i am only talking about hand painted polystone type statues, not a brand.

i am not trying to debate with you guys, just stating my opinions on value in plastic figures vs polystone statues, collect what you like and that's all that matters. I do have quite a few hot toy figures too just because they look cool. /shrug

What do you think about these plastic toys? $5-$7000 for a 4" Vader. $15,000 for a Batman Stretch Armstrong, etc.

https://games.yahoo.com/photos/most...valuable-action-figures-photo-1319569706.html

I would love for these figures to retain value or decrease slightly. This way, in the future, if I decide to collect other things I can sell them and move on. I do not need to make more money on them (I always want more money, who doesn't?).

I collect because I love it. I will probably always collect something. It would be nice to use past collections to fund future ones, not to fund college or retirement or a house.

0793.jpg

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

What a waste of a muscle body.

Indy doesn't have a Macho Man Randy Savage sized neck. THe Ezio body is perfect for him. Thin seamless neck and has full elbow articulation and the clothes fit better. Has the lose/baggy look Indy always had in the movies.

Did Mego or Sideshow figures really look amazing and realistic in their day? Was there ever a time somebody looked at a Sideshow figure and said to themselves, "It doesn't get better than this?"

Are Hot Toys really amazing? Or, really amazing for right now?

Back