Do you buy HT just to resell?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I keep going to the sale/trade section, and all i see is Hot Toys for sale. Whats the deal here, does anyone buy to collect anymore?

Does it matter? It will be smart for people to buy to sell, if you can. If you can buy a second piece, keep one and reap the benefits of the after-market with the other, good for you. I've done that many times. Heck, I never opened the SS Ex. Bruce Lee by HT and as soon as it arrived, I shipped it right out and made close to a $300 profit on it.

Most of us love the collecting aspect of HT, but realize too that in these economic times, if you can swing an extra one to sell, or take advantage of the after-market, you'll do it.

Heck, as long as there are people out there willing to spend well above retail, you'll have people buying to sell, or buying extras to sell.

Oh, and it does not help that the prices are going up for HT. This is not a cheap hobby, and many times, collectors have to make tough decisions, sell many of their HT to fund other stuff they may want (i.e custom 1/6th scale pieces that are pricey, future HT releases that they deem more important et).

A figure you love initially, that may fetch a lot of money, but you just are not feelin' right now, or if you plan to pre-order or get many other things, may be the piece that gets you the moolah to get other things.

It's all part of the hobby...

:)

it matters a little, as it's what killed the toy and comic and card collecting markets.
IF value matters to you.

short answer, the speculative "this is gonna be worth TONS OF CASH DUR HUR" market on Hot toys is pretty damn big, and it's helping to inflate the price of 1/6th scale figures. which IS bad.

One of the reasons I love this hobby honestly.
We enjoy the figures and usually as long as you look after them they end up worth more.
I have friends who spend their money mainly on extra clothing and whilst they enjoy it they've now grown out of them or worn them out. My collection sits there like an investment I can enjoy.

I've never actually bought a figure to resell it though. If I saw an amazing deal somewhere I'd probably be tempted to.

Not as good as sideshow statues, ht re-release some figures so I don't think the value will keep for too long.

Most newcomers to hot toys jump on the band wagon and buy up everything, I know I did when i first started, after a while you will learn to buy only what you know you will keep and never sell, and thus you will end up selling off some of your collection.

I just pictured you typing this wearing torn clothes :lol

:rock :rotfl

Funnily enough I spent the most I've ever spent on clothes TODAY !. :lol
I hate paying for anything that isn't a figure or statue so I get all irritated looking for anything else. :monkey1:monkey2

Luckily there is a Forbidden Planet in town so once I start having withdrawals I can run in there. :lol

I just pictured you typing this wearing torn clothes :lol

Man you made me almost choke (I'm eating). I pictured him with tight clothes that don't fit. But with your comment now they are tight clothes that don't fit and torn.:rotfl

I don't buy and sell. I don't have the money to buy 2 HT's and sell one down the road. I just have enough for the 1 so I just get the 1 for me.

However some times having people sell some of their collection can be good for buyers like me. The first thing I ever bought from a board member here was my grail (MMS-01) I got a much better deal on it then I would have on ebay.

I also bought another grail off a board member and because he was located in Canada I didn't have to pay taxes of any kind on it. It was a HT Dutch so if I had bought it from the U.S or something I would be raped by Canada customs and had paid a lot more on an already expensive (but worth it) figure.

So it's worked out for me a bit so far. :)

Some buy and sell to support their habit. I bought a T2 T800 for $119.99 when it first came out. If I wanted to I could sell it to buy one of Hot toys new releases, for example. Or my HT Godfather, but I rather hold on to them. Others aren't so attached.

Back