Diamond Select Toys 18" Talking Cloth Figures line: Darth Sidious

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the Sideshow Palpa? :D:lol

No, it's damn well not...

THIS is the Sideshow Palpatine...

1338478592_2c78af2566.jpg

So there...:emperor:emperor:emperor

Was looking forward to seeing what Diamond could offer, but so far I'm not impressed with this one.

Sure hope the others in the line turn out better.

If this, the Luke, Obi-Wan and Indiana Jones are any indication this line is doomed from the start.

They really should go back to the drawing board. I like the concept (and pricepoint) but the execution has been beyond awful to this point.

And get rid of that damn Bruce Lee Kung Fu left head for crying out loud! :monkey4

I have to disagree with you Irish. IMO the whole idea of a 18" action figure is beyond bad. Anything much over 1/6 should be statues and items with high quality (like PFs or maquettes). 18" action figures just screams "My Buddy" to me.

12" is the perfect scale to allow for attention to detail and still allow room for multiple figure displays and dynamic poses. I can't imagine an 18" figure being posable in any thing dynamic and still hold its weight.

Next time post your own pics of the figure,and not some glammed up shot!

What? The Sideshow Palpatine figure (especially the headsculpt) is pretty much universally praised as being quite good. I don't know what you're getting at. It's not "glammed up" at all.

12" is the perfect scale to allow for attention to detail and still allow room for multiple figure displays and dynamic poses. I can't imagine an 18" figure being posable in any thing dynamic and still hold its weight.

That may be. But they sure as heck could be much better than the DST efforts we've seen so far.

What? The Sideshow Palpatine figure (especially the headsculpt) is pretty much universally praised as being quite good. I don't know what you're getting at. It's not "glammed up" at all.

I didn't like it,which is why it's not in my collection.The sculpt doesn't look evil enough and the paint is meh.The outfit is also puffy like most SS's jedi figure's,that's what I'm getting at.

I didn't like it,which is why it's not in my collection.The sculpt doesn't look evil enough and the paint is meh.The outfit is also puffy like most SS's jedi figure's,that's what I'm getting at.

Oh... kay. Ignoring that fact that Palpatine's outfit IS puffy in the movie explain the connection to the DST prototype then. Or were you just trying to stir up trouble and debate again?

That may be. But they sure as heck could be much better than the DST efforts we've seen so far.

Maybe. Who knows. It could be that at the price point they set too much of their budget had to go to R&D on making them posable and balanced so not enough could go to executing paint apps and clothing.

IMO they're trying to be innovative in a direction that was totally stupid in the first place. Basically they couldn't get licensing for 12" figures or for statues so they invent a new medium that they could get the license for, and we are all seeing first hand why that specific market didn't exist already.

Oh... kay. Ignoring that fact that Palpatine's outfit IS puffy in the movie explain the connection to the DST prototype then. Or were you just trying to stir up trouble and debate again?

What's wrong? Can't you handle it when someone doesn't like your prescious SS figure?

Maybe. Who knows. It could be that at the price point they set too much of their budget had to go to R&D on making them posable and balanced so not enough could go to executing paint apps and clothing.

IMO they're trying to be innovative in a direction that was totally stupid in the first place. Basically they couldn't get licensing for 12" figures or for statues so they invent a new medium that they could get the license for, and we are all seeing first hand why that specific market didn't exist already.

I don't know. NECA has been making good non-articulated talking 18" figures for a few years now. So it seems almost natural that someone would attempt to go a step further by trying to make them fully-articulated along with mixed media clothing.

I too prefer 1/6 figures over pretty much any other format. But I don't begrudge DST at all in their idea here. It's the attempt and execution that utterly sucks.

What's wrong? Can't you handle it when someone doesn't like your prescious SS figure?

No more questions necessary. It's now confirmed: you're just starting ^^^^.

An interesting tact, especially given Dave's warning post from yesterday.

To me these things look like something found at the cheesy pop culture stores in the malls. The kind of thing my relatives would buy me because they know I like Star Wars but they can't afford anything classy or well made.

It's confirmed: you can't handle it!:lol

The only thing I "can't handle" are trolls. And I don't think there is any question about you anymore.

My suggestion to you is that you heed Dave's warning and cool it, or there is no doubt your days on these boards are numbered. But maybe that's what you want. :huh

All we need is Medicom to make a Palps figure with the same attention to detail as Medi Maul and then oh damn!! It'll be a the sweetes palps ever.But hey don't fret,you can always count on SS to make some great statues,that Papls 1/1 bust is great.But the 12" jedi figure's they come out with are really sub par.

Back