Diamond Select Toys 18" Talking Cloth Figures line: Darth Sidious

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see that as awfully sugarcoated. I've seen worse.

Seems more like a optimistic news item than a positive review.

Well, if it is a prototype that shouldn't have seen the light of day and the sculpt, paint and clothing will all be changing - perhaps we should give it the benefit of the doubt.

And no site whose primary focus is on Star Wars merchandising and depends on retailers and manufacturers for news is going to be openly critical of any SW item in a news article.

They never put even a remotely critical spin on ANYTHING.

I always thought RS was more of a news and announcement site and a collector friendly site than a review site. Its hard to be collector friendly when you knock a product that some of your visiters might enjoy.

There is a lot of room for negative feedback in their forums.

Well, if it is a prototype that shouldn't have seen the light of day and the sculpt, paint and clothing will all be changing - perhaps we should give it the benefit of the doubt.

If it's a prototype that shouldn't have seen the light of day then why are they showing it at one of the biggest Conventions of the year?

That comment remids me of the Ilim padme prototype.That thing was freaky!!
And the production was only slightly better.

With some customisation, Ilum Padme can look quite good...

This, on the other hand, will probably never look good...unless they change pretty much everything...

If it's a prototype that shouldn't have seen the light of day then why are they showing it at one of the biggest Conventions of the year?

Thats true.

Personally, I'm not interested in these, but I thought worse than the sculpt was the outfit.

It just looked like it was hastily thrown together. No detail whatsoever.

That comment remids me of the Ilim padme prototype.That thing was freaky!!
And the production was only slightly better.

Other than the freaky-long arms and the eyes painted to the side I thought the production Ilum Padme turned out just fine.

You're right, though... the camel toe one at SDCC was a tad unsettling.

That is the odd thing about this figure. It's not like it's Prototype Pending Approval, it's in a very harsh early stage, there's absolutely no detail to the costume and I can't imagine that would actually go to production that way. It also looks almost like there are no Sith eyes painted they almost look normal.

The concept of the line is cool, cheap large scale figures. I'm with Irish though, thus far, the examples we've seen don't hold promise for this to maximize on the opportunity.

Have you guys seen Diamond Selects' 12" figures, like Jack Bauer and Stargate? They are horrible too.

At least their consistent with releasing crap, what would suck even more is to get into this line with a few good figures and then have this ^^^^ bomb of a figure hit.

I just saw these in person at Wizard World Philly. They didn't look (too) bad. They had three there: Sidious, Old Ben, and Darth Maul. Sorry I didn't take any pics but from what I saw:

Sidious looked slightly better in person, but was still the weakest of the three.

Old Ben looked the best and might be worth picking up.

Darth Maul looked decent. The sculpt was acceptable and consisted of the angry "teeth clenched" Maul look. Couldn't see too much of the outfit because it was hidden by the robes.

Overall, I can't really see myself getting into this line, though I might make an exception for Old Ben. :D

Back