Dexter Discussion Thread *Spoilers*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever seen this before?

https://youtu.be/0JzOV2UL-jM

I'm yet to watch all of this all the way through, but what I've seen so far looks interesting. It's an amateur production, but dare I say I don't think It's been done too badly, bless em. The kid playing young Dexer has a passing resemblance to Michael C Hall as well, which helps.

well they were doing the online cartoon like show Dexter early cuts

https://www.youtube.com/show/dexterearlycuts

I saw a couple but didn't really like them,
I am curious about the one you just showed, interesting,

I've watched the cartoon version. Not bad, but I have to say the limited animation doesn't help things move along well imo.

You should give the amateur version a look see. For a little experiment on bugger all money I think they did quite well, and that kid has more then a smidge of Michael C Hall about him which helps a huge amount.

Last edited:
I was talking to someone
and he said he thinks the show is being dumbed down on purpose?

seeing how Dexter is getting more and more ratings and more people watching the show, my friend was saying how they are making the show less complicated on purpose...

I really don't know if I agree but, Can he have a point? or is it rantings of a lunatic?

I was talking to someone
and he said he thinks the show is being dumbed down on purpose?

seeing how Dexter is getting more and more ratings and more people watching the show, my friend was saying how they are making the show less complicated on purpose...

I really don't know if I agree but, Can he have a point? or is it rantings of a lunatic?

I don't know if it's really being dumbed down, I just think it isn't as good. They always held the audience's hand through most of the plot points, so while that may be a little more common, it's not a new thing.

And plus, that sort of seems like a self-defeating line of thinking. The show's great ratings were built off the earlier seasons, and built off great writing. Changing the formula seems more likely to drive fans away, not keep the new ones.

I don't know, you're right, and like I said, I don't know if I agree with him, but that made me wonder if there is a reason this season was so weird and off like that

I don't know, you're right, and like I said, I don't know if I agree with him, but that made me wonder if there is a reason this season was so weird and off like that

I just think the new head writer can be blamed / is responsible for all the odd shifts.

This is a good indication of their grasp on the characters and stories: When asked about what message Louis was sending with the hand, or what the deal with it was, Buck replied, "At this point, we have no idea what kind of message he’s sending”.

I just think the new head writer can be blamed / is responsible for all the odd shifts.

This is a good indication of their grasp on the characters and stories: When asked about what message Louis was sending with the hand, or what the deal with it was, Buck replied, "At this point, we have no idea what kind of message he’s sending”.

he said that..
Jesus.....

I was watching Seasons 1-4 recently and, Even season 3 was not as bad as season 6, I mean, at least it made more sense,

Looking at the Ice Truck Killer, at Trinity Killer,
I think season 6 could have been good if it had a really strong actor playing the killer, Colin Hanks is good in movies like Orange County or King Kong, I actually used to like him before,
but I really think he ruined Dexter, at least the second half of this season, this was just not his strongest performance and it hurt the show.
if they had someone stronger, with a stronger presence maybe it would have been better :dunno

Even though il admit that was a pretty stupid thing of him to say, I think people are being a bit hard on Season 6.

No, it wasn't near the level of quality of season 1,2, or 4, but I felt more entertained by this year than I did last year. Maybe thats just because this year I pretty much got what I expected, wheras last year the trailers indicated that it would be a much different (and better) storyline than what it turned out to be. At least this year it didn't feel like they were killing time.

Yeah it did. And the whole roadtrip episode proves that. It had nothing to do with this season's plot. They just threw it in there to throw it in there. It would have been of better use last season with the Trinity wrap up. In this season it just felt so out of place. Oddly enough, that was one of the best episdoes of the entire season though. But still out of place.

Yeah it did. And the whole roadtrip episode proves that. It had nothing to do with this season's plot. They just threw it in there to throw it in there. It would have been of better use last season with the Trinity wrap up. In this season it just felt so out of place. Oddly enough, that was one of the best episdoes of the entire season though. But still out of place.

I agree with this statement, it kinda felt like a filler episode. I'd be lying though if I didn't say I enjoyed seeing Bynie again.

Il take Dexter being tempted to kill Jonah by his inner representation of Bynie anyday over "How is the Santa Muerte killer leading to trust issues in Angel and Laguerta's marriage?"
Sure they are both ultimatly filler, but atleast one had to do with what makes the show what it is.

Last edited:
I don't know, I still think if they had a really strong actor playing the Doomsday Killer it might have saved the season,

because A lot of people are saying that Colin Hanks is a terrible actor, but I think he is good, for movies like Orange County or comedies, I usually like him, I mean, When he is in something I don't get bothered by it, I enjoy seeing him,
so when people started attacking him at the very beginning season 6 I Was thinking, he is not that bad, you know
but then as more episodes premiered and as more I saw of Hanks, it just showed he was not the guy for this job,

that also makes me wonder how different season 1 or season 4 would have been with a different actor, I mean, maybe it would have been the same but, John Lithgow was just, amazing, he really was. It just makes me wonder if 6 would have felt different with someone else as well

I thought the AV Club summed up Hanks on Dexter very well:

Worst Tom Hanks: Colin Hanks, Dexter

Colin Hanks trades on many of the same genial, likable everyman qualities that make his father such a beloved performer. It’s not the son’s fault that he resembles his father so much, but in Dexter, Hanks’ Hanksish-ness is occasionally impossible to ignore. The younger Hanks is at his best when his character, Travis Marshall, is a nice guy trying to tamp down his demons, but when Travis lets his Dark Passenger come out, the effect is more comical than terrifying. Picture Tom Hanks slapping an “I’m angry!” look on his face; now, imagine a baby version of Tom Hanks doing that. It’s funny, distracting, and not scary in the slightest.

Colin Hanks trades on many of the same genial, likable everyman qualities that make his father such a beloved performer. It’s not the son’s fault that he resembles his father so much, but in Dexter, Hanks’ Hanksish-ness is occasionally impossible to ignore. The younger Hanks is at his best when his character, Travis Marshall, is a nice guy trying to tamp down his demons, but when Travis lets his Dark Passenger come out, the effect is more comical than terrifying. Picture Tom Hanks slapping an “I’m angry!” look on his face; now, imagine a baby version of Tom Hanks doing that. It’s funny, distracting, and not scary in the slightest.

:clap
yep that person got it right, perfect actually...
I liked Hanks, both of them, I liked little Hanks, but, I Think next time I see him I will get a sour taste in my mouth and I think he is going to make me hate him, I mean, Why come to this show?

Haters gonna hate.

Hanks was the perfect choice because thats what the character was all about. He had 2 personalities. And if you didnt like the season in the first place, then another actor would not have saved it for you.

One of my problems with this season wasn't with Hanks but in trying to detach Edward James Olmos' Professor Gellar character from Admiral Adama. Apart from that I enjoyed this season. My list goes:

S1
S2
S5
S4
S6

...with S3 a long distant last place. Didn't buy Prado for a second.

Haters gonna hate.

Hanks was the perfect choice because thats what the character was all about. He had 2 personalities. And if you didnt like the season in the first place, then another actor would not have saved it for you.

Like cokebabies posted about that article

If Gellar was real and Travis was really a victim, the show could have been saved I think, because Hanks was ok when he was with his sister or when he was going against Gellar, I won't Deny that, I think they screwed up when they took Gellar out of the picture just awful

Haters gonna hate.

Its not that he had two personalities, its that one of them seemed to instantly dissapear the second the plot called for it.

Its not that he had two personalities, its that one of them seemed to instantly dissapear the second the plot called for it.

:lol:rotfl

After good Travis died and "evil" travis came I ended up laughing a couple of times lol

Call me Crazy, but, I think Even Tom Hanks could play an Okay Psycho serial killer, I mean, he can play serious roles, I Do like Tom Hanks, Always have, I think always will, people usually think of stuff Like Forrest Gum but the Green Mile is one of my favorite movies, he was pretty good at playing the serious type,
I Don't know, just day dreaming about it, He wouldn't work for Dexter, so Im not saying he would be a good actor for this show, I was just trying to picture him being a killer and, I think he could...

If Gellar was real and Travis was really a victim, the show could have been saved I think, because Hanks was ok when he was with his sister or when he was going against Gellar, I won't Deny that, I think they screwed up when they took Gellar out of the picture just awful

But would you have really bought Gellar turning up outside his sister's house and preschool, breaking into his safehouse and writing messages on the wall with blood had he not been a figment of Travis' imagination?

Back