DCD 13" Sinestro - SRP $89.99????

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Super Freak
Reaction score
Ok, I've been a faithful collector of the DCD 13" figures from day one. I've bought every release....movie figures, variants, you name it. The rise in price over the past two years has gotten ridiculous though. I noticed that BBTS has the 13" Sinestro up for preorder (should be in the Monday solicts from DCD):

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DCC10592&mode=retail

Unless it's an error, they list the SRP as $89.99. WTF? Why so high? I'm at the point that I'm ready to start picking and choosing with this line. You can buy a 1:4 scale PREMIUM statue for what three DCD 13" figures are running lately. UGH!!!!

I think I'm gonna go through my 13" collection and do some pruning!

:monkey4:monkey4:monkey4

If Sinestro is using the Jokeresque body then the $90 should be expected because that's what he cost. Not worth it IMHO and definitely a heartbreaker that this line is raising in price because its one I really wanted to jump into.

Ouch. I jumped ship over a year ago and I sure won't be getting back on now. They're nice figures for what they are but not that nice.

Edit: I just checked the site and it's down to $74.99 now. Still not getting back in though.

Meh, Hot Toys figures cost between 130-200 in price. Takara Batman was close to 200. Takara Indy is 400. Medicom figures average around 150 in price. SSC's prices are at 90 now. I think DCD 13" is fairly priced when you consider what the other high end figure companies are charging. And to DCD, their 13" figures are their high end line.

So don't be shocked. It's not just DCD that has risen the prices on their line, but all of across the board, your Hot Toys, Medicoms, and SideShows have as well.

Ouch. I jumped ship over a year ago and I sure won't be getting back on now. They're nice figures for what they are but not that nice.

Edit: I just checked the site and it's down to $74.99 now. Still not getting back in though.

Yeah, BBTS offers a discount. I was referring to the SRP, which is $89.99. The higher the SRP, the higher the price we end up paying, regardless of discount.

Meh, Hot Toys figures cost between 130-200 in price. Takara Batman was close to 200. Takara Indy is 400. Medicom figures average around 150 in price. SSC's prices are at 90 now. I think DCD 13" is fairly priced when you consider what the other high end figure companies are charging. And to DCD, their 13" figures are their high end line.

So don't be shocked. It's not just DCD that has risen the prices on their line, but all of across the board, your Hot Toys, Medicoms, and SideShows have as well.

Shut your mouth Eli!!! :duh

DCD's figures are good but still not in the same league as MediCom, Sideshow or Hot Toys by any means.....they definitely rank 4th IMHO. I will pick up Bizarro at my LCS this week but then after that I'm done. I'm not even planning on chasing a second original release Supes unless a deal fall in my lap that is too good to pass up. I always wanted a Clark next to Supes.

DCD's figures are good but still not in the same league as MediCom, Sideshow or Hot Toys by any means.....they definitely rank 4th IMHO. I will pick up Bizarro at my LCS this week but then after that I'm done. I'm not even planning on chasing a second original release Supes unless a deal fall in my lap that is too good to pass up. I always wanted a Clark next to Supes.

That's one of the figures I might be pruning from my 13" collection......

Just the shape of the market... everything is getting more expensive, DCD is just doing what is probably necessary.

Good thing that DCD doesn't have to pay for licensing, like Takara, Hot Toys, Medi, etc.

I like the series and will buy them at SRP $90 - but are they worth that?

I guess it's relative, but I can't really see that Sinestro, with no licensing fee and one accessory, is a comparable value to Gandalf or Indy from SSC.

I like the series and will buy them at SRP $90 - but are they worth that?

I guess it's relative, but I can't really see that Sinestro, with no licensing fee and one accessory, is a comparable value to Gandalf or Indy from SSC.

Dave, you and I have discussed the price increase for DCD on the Joker thread and I was defending it at that time. Now I am in a totally different state of mind. If you consider the first Superman figure that came with a Clark Kent outfit and that was 99.99 and now the "regular" figures are creeping up to those prices I am a little upset. Is Bizarro worth 10.00 less than the original Superman?
I love the DCD Deluxe and I want it to succeed but the only way I am paying 90.00 for one of their figures is if it is either Hal Jordan Green Lantern, with or without extra heads, or Wonder Woman.
Before I totally dog them I would like to say DCD is pretty good about giving collectors what they want, even if the scale is off so I will give them a chance. Maybe once in hand it will feel like a 90.00 figure. We shall see.

Good thing that DCD doesn't have to pay for licensing, like Takara, Hot Toys, Medi, etc.

Actually, don't be too sure that DC Direct doesn't pay licensing fees. I know that Warner Bros. (DC's parent company) has always charged licensing and other fees among it's own internal divisions and companies, just to keep everything above board on the books. There is probably a very good chance that DC Direct pays a licensing fee to Warners, at least on the books, and even though it stays in the company, still would be part of the cost. This also allows Warners to show additional income to investors, etc. Probably a common practice at other companies as well.

Actually, don't be too sure that DC Direct doesn't pay licensing fees. I know that Warner Bros. (DC's parent company) has always charged licensing and other fees among it's own internal divisions and companies, just to keep everything above board on the books. There is probably a very good chance that DC Direct pays a licensing fee to Warners, at least on the books, and even though it stays in the company, still would be part of the cost. This also allows Warners to show additional income to investors, etc. Probably a common practice at other companies as well.

Good call...that's probably how they're getting away with boosting the price some and then they show the investors that extra cash who probably don't care where it's coming from...they just like seeing the $$$$$$ roll in.

It's true they do this in the television division because there are royalties involved to the creators, but DC doesn't have that pesky problem of having to pay creators royalty fees (until just recently).

Perhaps they've kept raising the prices on DCD13 anticipating losing the Siegel lawsuit - it's all the fault of the Siegel heirs!

I think all the companies are experiencing higher cost but not to this extent. I think they are looking at the competitors in the 1/6 scale market, comparing products and MSRPs and adjusting their prices accordingly. They're probably saying to themselves, "If our market demographic is willing to pay $100...$150...to $300 bucks for an import figure...why wouldn't they pay a comparable price for a domestic product?" So now we see an increase in the company's desire to satisfy the bottom line and still remain competitive within their market. DCD 13" has a crummy hollow body with questionable joint engineering to say the lest...but they offer a very good looking product that's getting better with every release. I still maintain that to be a collector based company, DCD still remains mostly non-collector friendly (no customer service, uninspired reps at SDCC and no collector-manufacturer feedback at all) but they are improving this product line and it looks great. So as far as looks, they are on par with some of the higher end collector lines...while still keeping their msrp lower than the competition.

Back