DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

I faintly remember watching a few episodes of this series in the past, and now I'm rewatching it and wow it's awe-inspiring; it has mature themes and its ambience is incredible. While watching some of the episodes, I can't help but ask if the Nolanator also watched this series when making the TDK films, for instance, in one episode Scarecrow sprays Batman with fear gas and then lights the place on fire I screamed "That's from Begins!".

I faintly remember watching a few episodes of this series in the past, and now I'm rewatching it and wow it's awe-inspiring; it has mature themes and its ambience is incredible. While watching some of the episodes, I can't help but ask if the Nolanator also watched this series when making the TDK films, for instance, in one episode Scarecrow sprays Batman with fear gas and then lights the place on fire I screamed "That's from Begins!".

That's cool you're pretty much experiencing the show for the first time. Kind of wish I could get that feeling again.

I'm not sure if Nolan was influenced by the show at all. If he was, I don't think he's ever mentioned it. If anyone was it was probably Goyer, but even then I don't remember him ever mentioning it, either. I do look forward to the day when people who did grow up with the Batman, and Superman animated shows start getting involved with the live action films. You couldn't ask for a much better template to draw inspiration from then those shows.

That's cool you're pretty much experiencing the show for the first time. Kind of wish I could get that feeling again.

I'm not sure if Nolan was influenced by the show at all. If he was, I don't think he's ever mentioned it. If anyone was it was probably Goyer, but even then I don't remember him ever mentioning it, either. I do look forward to the day when people who did grow up with the Batman, and Superman animated shows start getting involved with the live action films. You couldn't ask for a much better template to draw inspiration from then those shows.
Hollywood could also get smart right now and hire guys like Paul Dini, Stan Berkowitz, and Alan Burnett to write the live action stuff.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hollywood could also get smart right now and hire guys like Paul Dini, Stan Berkowitz, and Alan Burnett to write the live action stuff.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

It's one of those odd Hollywood studio system rules. Makes no sense not to have them helm these projects. Apparently Paul Dini did get asked to give his opinions and make suggestions (listen to Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman Podcast with Dini as a guest). Brad Bird and Tim Burton are some of the few exceptions who managed to move from TV animation to large budget live action features.

I also remember watching "Batman Begins" and thinking that some parts felt like much better (in terms of acting, writing, and directing) versions of stuff that happened in the horrible "Nothing to Fear". Before "Batman Begins" came out, I read an interview with Nolan in which he said he'd been disappointed by the previous Batman movies and always preferred the animated adventures. I interpreted that as him admitting that he liked "Batman: The Animated Series", which is a nice thought. His first movie ("Following") also has a clue about him being a Batman fan with a bat symbol sticker being on someone's door.

I also remember watching "Batman Begins" and thinking that some parts felt like much better (in terms of acting, writing, and directing) versions of stuff that happened in the horrible "Nothing to Fear".

Come again?

That episode is full of memorable moments and a great final action set piece.

I'm always surprised when I find out there are people who like that episode. I find it pretty corny and for the most part poorly drawn/animated, a drop in quality from the excellent "On Leather Wings" and not even as good as the silly, but fun "Christmas with The Joker".

I do like the big moment where Batman psyches himself up to get over his fear. I've heard that fans get Kevin Conroy to repeat the "I AM BATMAN!" lines at public appearances and he's happy to do it, which is a nice story. The cemetery scene is fine too, but everything with The Scarecrow is lame.

I think the episode has some good ideas, but "Batman Begins" presented them better. Scarecrow looks ridiculous. His re-design in later episodes was a big improvement, but of course he looked best in "The New Batman Adventures".

Nothing to Fear is one of my favorite episodes because it felt like it encapsulates Batman aurally with the music being one of the most lavish and my favorites in a Batman production. It's less exposition and words and more a of a theatrical operatic showpiece, with a combination of the cartoonish and strikingly poignant, amplified by the most use of the Danny Elman motif and the introduction of the now classic "I am Vengeance" line.

But that's the magic of BTAS- there's always something for everyone.

Man, pretty deep to have a scene at his parents grave with no dialogue during a time when death was rarely if ever even acknowledged in cartoons.

Tried looking into the Gotham Rogues pack to see if it’s dropped any... Nope, gone astronomically up. I hope there’s another way to get those characters down the road. A rerelease perhaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap, GCPD rogue gallery is going for $400-$500??? Is this for real?? I still have mine mint in box cause I don't have room yet. Should have bought 2 or 3 or 20 lol

Those prices are ridiculous. Hopefully they rerelease them as a set or release them individually. They are 4 main villains from the show.

My the dark knight returns joker animated style figure

So, I just thought I'd share my updated collection. Only missing the Batplane (and if the line ends, maybe the alternate Batmobile with Batsignal) 35975245_10160261040240478_4091153810561433600_n.jpg

So, I just thought I'd share my updated collection. Only missing the Batplane (and if the line ends, maybe the alternate Batmobile with Batsignal) View attachment 414676

WOW! I had no idea they looked this many when all grouped together! Great collection!

I think I have about 5 figures total. lol

WOW! I had no idea they looked this many when all grouped together! Great collection!

I think I have about 5 figures total. lol

Oh, yes. I've run out of display space for them. And yet I'm still hoping we get the missing figures to complete both lines.

ForbiddenPlanet.com in the UK has the Batwing on sale for £65 if you want/need it. Very tempting.

So THAT'S where the Martian Manhunter goes. Sweet, I'm excited.

Oh wow, that's awesome! It's kind of weird to see exclusive merch on a streaming service, but it's GREAT to see them all. Thanks for the info!

I saw a post on facebook last week that said they saw a schedule that had The Grey Ghost coming out in September. That didn't make much sense since we're well past solicitations for then, but maybe he could be released this way?
This could also avoid going up in scale like MisterPL has mentioned since they'd be offered exclusively, right?

Back