DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Rogue's Gallery TAS versions of Croc, Freeze and Ivy are enough to get the whole set. Officer Montaya was a nice bonus :clap

I never was a fan of TAS Bane look, reminded me of a wrestler but I'll take it anyway.

Not sure you scale buffs will think this an ideal set though :slap

Agreed on Bane. In fact Bane in general has to be my least favorite Bat villain...I always looked at him as a poor rip-off of KG Beast :dunno who was a way more fierce opponent when he first came out (ten nights of the beast).

Agreed on Bane. In fact Bane in general has to be my least favorite Bat villain...I always looked at him as a poor rip-off of KG Beast :dunno who was a way more fierce opponent when he first came out (ten nights of the beast).

Well Bane's character personality in TAS was spot on to the comics IMO. He was highly intelligent and very cunning and I liked the guy that did his voice over because that was what Bane should sound like IMO. If you rewatch the TAS Bane episodes..they nailed his persona.

Just the clothes were all wrong for him :lecture

still counting the days when that expansion pack for Bats is releasing :impatient:

Isn't it supposed to be released in February?

Speaking of Bats, sometimes I forget how gorgeous the MOTP Batman is:

BatmanDCC.jpg

:drool

I changed the lighting on these two photos to see Freeze's nose better looks good here
5148a2de584ac6120283613928a67350.jpg
5ca5b4776e0ab5f501278732b384710a.jpg

- hate Montoya (shoulda been Two-Face or Scarecrow)
- Bane not muscular enough
- Croc has an ugly belly joint
- Freeze's torso and crotch look out of proportion
- Ivy doesn't even look like she's even from this line (and here I thought each female fig was getting better and better, she's the worst)

- was putting a carded collection together to go with my Kenner MOC collection, I don't want this Jail box thing
- wanted to buy extras of Freeze and Croc carded and loose, can't now
- electronic lights are unnecessary
- shoulda been a single release wave
- gift pack sets usually contain figures that are cheaper in quality
- this feels like something a company would do towards the end of a line . . .

+ Mr. Freeze's headsculpt is dead on, one of the best in the line with Robin, Gordon, Ra's, Mad Hatter, etc.
+ paint on Bane, Freeze, and Croc are pretty much perfect. Glad they got the greys, blues, blacks on them right, interesting that those three share a similar paint scheme and are included in the set
+ they didn't ruin Bane's torso with ugly joints, kudos to them
+ the graphic design for the box is interesting, reminds me of this

IMG_5333.JPG
IMG_5332.JPG

It's also an interesting choice that Bane, Croc, Freeze and Ivy are together. Back in 1994, all four of those characters were in the same wave/series when Kenner changed the box art from red/orange to blue/yellow. Bane, Croc, Ivy and Freeze were the villains that made up that change in the series. I remember seeing them in stores on the pegs together back in the day.

You_Doodle_2017-01-15T20_33_48Z.jpg
You_Doodle_2017-01-15T20_36_27Z.jpg
IMG_5334.JPG

Last edited:

BTAS Freeze was designed by Mike Mignola, not Bruce Timm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well Bane's character personality in TAS was spot on to the comics IMO. He was highly intelligent and very cunning and I liked the guy that did his voice over because that was what Bane should sound like IMO. If you rewatch the TAS Bane episodes..they nailed his persona.

I think they did a good job on Bane in TAS for sure, but just as a character I find him boring and as I say a poor mans KG Beast.....your dead right about the wrestling outfit that Bane wears though lol.....Thinking about it KG Beast also had a suspect outfit when he first came out........lol

Are you serious?
Do you even watch his episodes nowadays/regularly or you simply got an aleatory still online?

And I seriously laughed out loud at "Bruce Timm style ignored". You got a still from Subzero, a film in which all characters were sort of redesigned/modernized and barely looked like the original TV series. And a film in which Bruce Timm played no role at all whatsoever.

If you wanna compare the figures to the "original Bruce Timm design", you either get stills from episodes he directed or at least produced, or you compare them to the model sheet.

For example, compare Freeze to his appearance in the classic "Heart of Ice" episode. An episode Bruce Timm personally directed and produced.
All I see is that they nailed him.

View attachment 316809

Feel free to like it. I don't. Is not how I remind him. Those eyes/eyerbows looks like a "6" to me. I've heard worst complain about Batman TAS first release headsculpt.

Heart of ice episode Freeze..
Mister_Freeze_BTAS.jpg
In the close up the eyebrows are more narrows/pointy, how I remind him. As I said is my point of view, and I feel free to express my complain just like other people can express the love for it. Gosh.. We're talking about action figures... -.-

BTAS Freeze was designed by Mike Mignola, not Bruce Timm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yup, never said the design was by Timm :D I was speaking about the draw style, not the character design ;)
5BDbgPP7_1808150147051.jpg

He also miss the hair on the shoulders/arms area but I guess that was kinda weirdo to do on a figure xDDD I just hope the scale is ok because to me look the best in the set even if is not bulky enough.
Bane_Episode.jpg

Feel free to like it. I don't. Is not how I remind him. Those eyes/eyerbows looks like a "6" to me. I've heard worst complain about Batman TAS first release headsculpt.

Heart of ice episode Freeze..
View attachment 316887
In the close up the eyebrows are more narrows/pointy, how I remind him. As I said is my point of view, and I feel free to express my complain just like other people can express the love for it. Gosh.. We're talking about action figures... -.-

Indeed, these are action figures. However some of these "complaints" just seem like nitpicking.

Last edited:

It's really important to remind y'all that Bane has two types of body shape: his regular and the "Venom"-mode.

All pictures/stills posted here so far have him in the "Venom"-mode body shape, therefore very muscular and huger.

The Bane figure most likely represents him in his regular body shape, specifically the scene where he first appears in his "fight" suit in the sewer:

BaneTAS.jpg

The figure does resemble this first appearance.

We can't, however, tell how muscular the figure's arms indeed are, because that's a 2D proto image, and we cannot see the overall proportion of the arms, like his biceps and triceps. But that proto image does resemble his first appearance, at least to me.

Indeed, these are action figures. However some of these "complaints" just seem like nitpicking.

Hummm.. Something that is "nitpicking" for you can be a big proplem for me or viceversa, no? :D
I'm not here for create any type of fight, I apologize if I sounded offensive against someone, but sometimes these figures piss me off and since is just a forum where we can speak free I just express what I think in base of my experience and nostalgic feelings with this serie. That's all. :D

It's really important to remind y'all that Bane has two types of body shape: his regular and the "Venom"-mode.

All pictures/stills posted here so far have him in the "Venom"-mode body shape, therefore very muscular and huger.

The Bane figure most likely represents him in his regular body shape, specifically the scene where he first appears in his "fight" suit in the sewer:

View attachment 316902

The figure does resemble this first appearance.

We can't, however, tell how muscular the figure's arms indeed are, because that's a 2D proto image, and we cannot see the overall proportion of the arms, like his biceps and triceps. But that proto image does resemble his first appearance, at least to me.

:lol WGD you think I didn't know that already about the two different Bane bodies..for one thing in TAS when Bane got juiced, his muscles gained veins .

I have no doubt the figure is based on his normal mode

I'm sitting on a bunch of Amazon gift cards from Christmas and some points from my Amazon Visa and am thinking of finally starting to get some more figures from this lineup to fill in my collection. I love how in depth they're going to give us characters like Montoya and Bullock.

I agree with Azrael23. Don't mean to rub people the wrong way with this, but sometimes I get the impression this is more of a 'critics forum' than an actual collector site.

I can appreciate that many custom made designs are even better than the action figures produced by DCC. However, in my book the positives exceed the negatives (our opinions are subjective). Moreover, I really don't get why people turn a hobby into an all out war with the company supplying the product; went through that with Mattel and the Justice League, and believe me, from a business standpoint THAT was a mismanaged line.

Here I feel we are in paradise: we are getting the characters we asked for, our comments and concerns are listened to and addressed, we receive explanations regarding production difficulties, delays, etc. AND for DC Collectibles standards the line is getting way more attention and budget. And we're nearly there getting the basic Rogues Gallery for BTAS! Yes, the figures are not PERFECT, but when have they every been? For a $21 - $30 price range on a niche product?

To be even more honest, reading these comments before every Wave hits, and then the praises and raves once they're on everyone's shelves gets really old. Either you enjoy collecting and wish to share and help other by joining a forum or you're looking for company in misery. You all have the right to bicker and complain all you want, but, in case it were ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, I prefer the proactive/united approach that some propose with the e-mails and the like, rather than just the complaining for the sake of complaining.

Now I've complained about the complaining. Both very unproductive endeavors.

I agree with Azrael23. Don't mean to rub people the wrong way with this, but sometimes I get the impression this is more of a 'critics forum' than an actual collector site.

I can appreciate that many custom made designs are even better than the action figures produced by DCC. However, in my book the positives exceed the negatives (our opinions are subjective). Moreover, I really don't get why people turn a hobby into an all out war with the company supplying the product; went through that with Mattel and the Justice League, and believe me, from a business standpoint THAT was a mismanaged line.

Here I feel we are in paradise: we are getting the characters we asked for, our comments and concerns are listened to and addressed, we receive explanations regarding production difficulties, delays, etc. AND for DC Collectibles standards the line is getting way more attention and budget. And we're nearly there getting the basic Rogues Gallery for BTAS! Yes, the figures are not PERFECT, but when have they every been? For a $21 - $30 price range on a niche product?

To be even more honest, reading these comments before every Wave hits, and then the praises and raves once they're on everyone's shelves gets really old. Either you enjoy collecting and wish to share and help other by joining a forum or you're looking for company in misery. You all have the right to bicker and complain all you want, but, in case it were ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, I prefer the proactive/united approach that some propose with the e-mails and the like, rather than just the complaining for the sake of complaining.

Now I've complained about the complaining. Both very unproductive endeavors.

I absolutely couldn't agree more League of Shadows. I've waited for these figures for over 20 years and was thrilled when these were announced and began coming out... The first figure I bought was Catwoman and the night I opened her, the left arm broke. I was disappointed, but mad or anger never crossed my mind. Because even though she was broken - I was looking at an awesome looking figure that I had been waiting for years to have. I glued her arm back on and love her (and she has leg holes... who cares) still love her. I never once considered emailing DCC or complaining or even asking for a replacement figure.... I had her... she had a glued arm, but I loved her.

I've been following this forum since people started talking about these figures... I have rarely posted just looked an enjoyed the different displays and seeing folks excitement when new figures come out and such. I have even gotten to know SFA and we often talk about the figures and life in general... he's a cool guy (with an amazing display) which everyone on this thread agrees on... which brings me to why I am writing... Like I said, I have followed this thread through all 1052 pages and it seems like.. especially here lately this has become 80% complaining about the designs, the colors, the production issues, or DCC in general... And the whole time, when I see these negative posts and see people bickering about one thing or another. I go into my office... Look at my collection of these figures and just smile. Cause DC Collectables has given us figures that I have waiting over 20 years for.. and when I look at them, I think they look great; and I am go glad that a company has released them and that I am able to collect and display them PROUDLY (even if a color looks slightly off or an eye is slightly crooked) - to me, they look great.

I guess I am writing to partially vent - and partially just say that while I get some people are passionate about perfection (they have every right to be and I respect that)... I hope that everyone remembers, DC Collectables has given us great looking figures that we are all proud to display, and figures we've waited for years to get, and for the most part... they've done a GREAT job.

There is a great group of people on this forum... I just wish I seen more positive comments. I mean no disrespect from any of this - and I hope everyone has a great day or evening (depending on when you read this).

All my best - DougC89

I don't see any problem with constructive criticism. A lot of the photo manipulations are great, and, more often than not, it results in DCC making changes that only benefit the figures, and, if people don't like the 5-pack concept, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Personally, I love it. I'm in this line for the long haul and intended to purchase those figures, anyway, and with the 20% off I get from my LCS, it'll pretty much be like paying the $28 MSRP, and I'm sure many online retailers will have deals, as well, so, I don't have too much of a problem with the price.

In terms of consistency? I don't really give a ****. I tend to remove my figures from the packaging, but I'd be delighted to have, at least, some that are collector friendly, and if working lights and a fancy jail cell are what it takes for them to do that, I'm game. That being said, it doesn't mean I don't understand people's frustrations. It's certainly not ideal for people who pick and choose their line-up and it does seem more like a move aimed at the completists and finishing off the line.

I just hope that, if they do single releases, they don't include different accessories or any of that ****, because, frankly, that type of money grabbing bull**** pisses me off more than anything.

I agree with all the things the three above said (League of Shadows, doug and batfan).

There are moments here when all that is posted is complains and nitpickings. You guys know what I'm refering to, right?
I'm not even talking about constructive criticism like bad paint apps on final figures at stores, or obvious wrong colors and sculpt, because constructive criticism that ultimately helps us is more than welcome, like batfan said.
Those moments sadly overshadow the beauty and joy that has been this line. What we have ultimately gotten (final figures) so far is pure gold. I absolutely LOVE seeing people rejoyce and being happy with the figures. I love seeing pictures on Instagram and here. Man, people are happy and fulfilled with this line. And so am I. Like many here, I waited 20 freaking years for BTAS figures like these. This TV series is my life. And as a "merchansing man" myself, this line is paradise.

Quoting League of Shadows, "in my books, the positives exceed the negatives". And by miles, if may I add, man. The figures we've gotten so far is all I ever dreamed of - and beyond. Just 3 years ago, I seriously thought I would never have decent and proper BTAS Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Robin figrues. Just 3 years ago, I thought I'd die without a BTAS Gordon figure. And look at me now.
Quoting dougc, I "look at my collection of these figures and just smile", whenever I see people coming out of nowhere to simply bash the figures, with no constructive criticism. Seeing my display just makes my day.

We should look at the bright side whenever we can, I've said it more than once. Minor details shouldn't bother us, especially those that can be easily fixed or overlooked. However, if there are major uses, then they should be addressed. And instead of just complaing here or in other forums, go ahead and address those major issues to DCC directly. They are known for hearing their customers.

Some of you guys are too easy to please and act way too apologetic for DCC. You're practically grovelling at their feet. Doug, your Catwoman literally broke and you're acting like everything is just peachy. A broken figures isn't an awesome one any way you cut it. It's broken.

$140 is a lot for that pack. $28 is ridiculous for their single figures. That's more than NECA or Marvel Legends or Star Wars: Black Series (which I'd argue are all better made lines than this one, nostalgic aside). The Animated Series is 25 years old. DCC have had years worth of references and experience to make these figures as close to perfect as possible. No excuses.

Look at that Bullock up there, that's how the figure should have looked. Look at all the little changes that can make these things perfect. You got people like zelu or TWayne or sfa or myself that know their stuff. They should have people like that on their design team. Most of the BTAS figures are crude looking and lack refinement. There's so many little things that could put these over the top that they simply ignore, probably to keep costs down.

I mean, there were actually people on here defending that awful Christmas Joker. It's ridiculous. This is an animated line. The simple designs and colors shouldn't be a problem, especially when they're using 3D models. Clearly something is amiss, so I'm glad people continue to put pressure on them (though I think constantly emailing them about prototypes is a tad obnoxious).

Let people criticize if they want to criticize. The line as a whole is just okay. The most impressive thing is their offerings. I'll give credit and kudos to DCC for their impressive character selection and taking a chance on a huge Batmobile and Batwing vehicles. They get praise and credit when it's due. Nobody is expecting perfection, but it'd be nice to get a perfect wave or two every once in a while.

- Catwoman (ugly hip holes, breakable)
- Batman (ugly hip holes, breakable
- Two-Face (ugly hip holes, inconsistent with the rest of the line)
- Mr. Freeze (ugly hip holes, inconsistent with the line

- Joker (off model, ugly looking figure)
- Robin (too short)
- Man- Bat (arms too loose, poor paint finish on body)

- Harley Quinn (one of the worst figures in the line, chintzy garbage)
- Penguin (monocle isn't colored, no cigarette)
- Batman (awful head, bad paint, right hip prone to breaking)

- Firefly (poorly painted, one of the worst samples in their line)
- Talia (long ass forearms, wrong color)
- Ra's (no sword)
- Bullock (crappy paint scheme which is a shame because the accessories and sculpt are dead on)
- Ventriloquist (no thought went into the scarface hand attachment peg assembly)
- Christmas Joker (worst figure in the line)

And that's off the top of my head. Almost all of them have an unfinished quality to them. Like we're buying prototypes from the shows or something (I think it speaks volumes that so many of the figures need to be customized to look good, usually small changes here and there that DCC could have totally done themselves). I've never been a fan of the plastic they've used since Wave 1, nor that easily scratched, cheap matte finish most figures likes Batman, Man-Bat, Harley, etc. seem to have. You also have inconsistent articulation across the board. Why does Wave 1 TNBA Batman have those nice swivels like in the boot/calf while it's completely dropped on BTAS Batman? How come Croc has an unsightly ab belly button crunch while BTAS Bane does not? How come ankle ball joints and pivots are pretty much gone now?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with criticizing them. I doubt DCC even cares what a bunch of man children think, let em' talk. It's not like DCC's feeling are going to get hurt. :lol

Last edited:
Back