DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Harley confirmed for next week according to Kevin K on a Facebook video.

Responding to the question of which characters interest people...

I'm generally interested in ones that:

1) Could be improved significantly from their counterparts in the old Kenner or Mattel lines
2) Weren't part of the Kenner or Mattel lines (Roxy, for example)
3) Have a neat visual design

For example, DC Collectibles Mad Hatter looks better than the Kenner one (which was rabbit-like with his buckteeth) and I'm very happy with how the DC Collectibles Riddler has his typical closed mouth smirk and buttoned up jacket, unlike the old one with mouth open in an out-of-character huge grin and an open jacket. Zatanna is a huge improvement from the Justice League one too, which had the same personality-less mannequin face that poor Black Canary got.

I think the Kenner Joker, Creeper, Batman, Penguin, and Catwoman actually have better sculpts than DC Collectibles ones. Mattel's New Batman Adventures Scarecrow actually has a way better sculpt than the new one too. The only problem is that he's at a weird angle where the face is often obscured by his hat. Kenner Mr. Freeze and Alfred were pretty much perfect, aside from little things like Alfred's black hair and Freeze's gun being inaccurate.

One character who could be improved significantly is The Clock King. It's disappointing how Mattel released him as part of their JLU series, and therefore based the sculpt on a look much duller than his original designs in "The Clock King" or "Time Out of Joint". This means bald, no bowler hat, and glasses without clock hands (such a cool concept). I'd love to see a proper Clock King, although those little clock hand glasses might be too hard to sculpt. Anyone think the DC Collectibles sculptors could rise to that challenge?

I might be up for getting Alfred and Mr. Freeze too, but only if they have REALLY amazing scupts, because I'm happy with my Kenner figures of them. That's how I felt about Mad Hatter. Despite the rabbit teeth and too small eyes, I thought my Kenner Mad Hatter was good enough. However, the new one is so much better that I couldn't resist.

I like Hugo Strange, but prefer more interesting-looking characters. I was going to get Commissioner Gordon since he's a great character whose original design wasn't released in the Kenner line, but I find him so boring-looking. He gets a lot of praise here, but every time I see that figure in the store, I just don't feel like picking it up since his brown, yellow, and white outfit is so bland. Dr. Strange is a short, fat, bearded guy who has glasses, a suit, and white lab coat. I can't imagine him being a very visually appealing figure to display.

Usually, I prefer more colourful and uniquely-designed characters. I made an exception for Amanda Waller, though. I thought it's hilarious that they made this action figure of a short, fat, business suit-wearing woman. Also, I just loved her personality on "Justice League" so much. :)

I'd really rather have a figure of Jonah Hex from JLU "The Once and Future Thing" than the bald elderly Jonah from that BTAS episode.

I still remember the first time I ever watched Jonah Hex's BTAS episode, Showdown... I was, like, 5 and thought he was a re-drawn version of Two-Face. I was so disappointed and sad, "why did they change 'Two Face'? Whyyy???"
LMAAAAAAO, poor kid.

Does anybody have interest in DCC doing Hugo Strange or Jonah Hex? I'm just trying to see what other characters people would be interested in after Poison Ivy, Freeze, Two-Face, Batgirl, etc.

Hmmm, nah...
I'm more into classic characters than "obscure" ones.
I think the only obscure character I'm interest is Baby Doll, as she is a fascinating character and her BTAS episode is one of the best of the show.

Does anybody have interest in DCC doing Hugo Strange or Jonah Hex? I'm just trying to see what other characters people would be interested in after Poison Ivy, Freeze, Two-Face, Batgirl, etc.

I'm down for both of those but Hugo Strange especially.

I'd really rather have a figure of Jonah Hex from JLU "The Once and Future Thing" than the bald elderly Jonah from that BTAS episode.

As a huge Jonah Hex fan, I stand with MisterPL in saying I'd like both.

Also, I picked up my Batwing today. Holy ****, what did I get myself into?:lol I was a little disappointed to see that two of the holes punched in the brown shipper translated over to the inner box, as well. They're superficial, and in no way could they have caused damage to the product, in my estimation, but it is a little disappointing. Nevertheless, as someone who opens these figures, anyway, it's taught me to be a little less OCD about the state of the packaging.:lol

Also, I received my peghole free TNBA Batman from eBay over the last few weeks, and I have to say: for all the **** Matar gets, that's still one of my favorite figures, and, in my opinion, one of the best figures of this line. That design translated unnervingly well, and, I must say, with the exception of The Scarecrow, I might be inclined to say that the level of accuracy in the TNBA line has been more consistent than that of its predecessor's counterpart. Though, I'd also argue that the streamlined approach to the designs on that show probably contributes to this in no small part.

Last edited:

Also, I picked up my Batwing today. Holy ****, what did I get myself into?:lol I was a little disappointed to see that two of the holes punched in the brown shipper translated over to the inner box, as well. They're superficial, and in no way could they have caused damage to the product, in my estimation, but it is a little disappointing. Nevertheless, as someone who opens these figures, anyway, it's taught me to be a little less OCD about the state of the packaging.:lol

Also, I received my peghole free TNBA Batman from eBay over the last few weeks, and I have to say: for all the **** Matar gets, that's still one of my favorite figures, and, in my opinion, one of the best figures of this line. That design translated unnervingly well, and, I must say, with the exception of The Scarecrow, I might be inclined to say that the level of accuracy in the TNBA line has been more consistent than that of its predecessor's counterpart. Though, is also argue that the streamlined approach to the designs on that show probably contributes to this in no small part.

And also the consistency of the animation itself of TNBA, defenitely. Everybody looks the same in all frames and episodes. Clean animation.
BTAS' animation is so messed up, I wish it had come out after TNBA, for animation quality's sake.

As a BTAS lover and TNBA hater, I envy TNBA for the level of quality and money Warner put into it.

Also, I received my peghole free TNBA Batman from eBay over the last few weeks, and I have to say: for all the **** Matar gets, that's still one of my favorite figures, and, in my opinion, one of the best figures of this line. That design translated unnervingly well, and, I must say, with the exception of The Scarecrow, I might be inclined to say that the level of accuracy in the TNBA line has been more consistent than that of its predecessor's counterpart. Though, is also argue that the streamlined approach to the designs on that show probably contributes to this in no small part.

I finally opened my Batwing today too and I had the same exact reaction. Now I need to find a suitable place to display it. I'm so glad that they were able to actually produce it. It looks perfect and I can't wait until they release another vehicle.

We have 2 new placeholder dates to possibly look forward to:
5d2af016e97cfd225f9e08720e2beff7.jpg

I think the Kenner Joker, Creeper, Batman, Penguin, and Catwoman actually have better sculpts than DC Collectibles ones.

I'll give you Creeper, Batman, Penguin, and Catwoman, but as much as I dislike the DCC Joker sculpt...

header.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

nsr.gif

After watching that Facebook video with Kevin showing off the TNBA Harley figure, I'm struggling to see if it's actually a different body sculpt or a re-use of the previous Harley. Her calves may look slightly thicker to me, but I'm not 100% sure......

I thought the same thing about Harley. I hope it's the sculpt from the prototype.

I think the Kenner Joker, Creeper, Batman, Penguin, and Catwoman actually have better sculpts than DC Collectibles ones.
I'll give you Creeper, Batman, Penguin, and Catwoman, but as much as I dislike the DCC Joker sculpt...

I'm sorry, but are you guys even serious?

icant1.JPGicant3.JPGicant2.JPG

Sometimes I can't believe what I read here.......

I agree with you WGD. The DC Collectibles ones are far superior. They may not be perfect, but they're vast improvements over the Kenner ones.

Please, let me laugh a lot… :rotfl

View attachment 311712View attachment 311713View attachment 311711

WGD I'm with you. Kenner was great when we had five years… but now…

I don't know yet why people hate this line so much. It has its flailures, but it is not comparable Kenner's line.

I think the reason people see those Kenner sculpts as looking more accurate is due to nostalgia. Think about it, you grow up watching the show and you get an idea in your head about how the characters look, but you also grow up playing with the toys, in some cases I may be speaking for myself, but I played with the toys even MORE than I watched the show, because it was rarely on, and I only had a few episodes on VHS. SO in a way, the look of the toys became just as significant as the designs on the show in my mind. If that makes any sense? and looking back on the show now, just from memory those designs have blended together in a lot of cases, so I can totally understand why people would think that Kenner is more "accurate" because to them it is... in a way ahaha.
You see a similar nostalgia effect with other huge toy franchises, Star Wars, the Burton Batman films etc.

But in terms in the show, the DC Collectable figures are often amazing, the only thing I wish they would do is focus more on how the characters looked in the actual episodes rather than staying so faithful to the character turnarounds.

Either way, is anyone else really desperate to see the Mr Freeze BTAS figure? That one really needs to be a WIN for me hahaha, fingers crossed they get the face right haha

I saw this on DCC's Facebook page and thought, "God bless DCC's damage control!"

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 10.10.56 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 10.11.13 AM.jpg

I saw this on DCC's Facebook page and thought, "God bless DCC's damage control!"

View attachment 311724
View attachment 311725

OH, MY ******ING GOD! :panic:

Her face looks GORGEOUS!
The neck is proportional!

I could even live with her hair like that, if she turns out THIS good!!!

Ps.: they said, "...we are working towards". That could mean she's not final yet?
Keep e-mailing them and posting on their facebook page about the hair! They might fix it!

View attachment 311712View attachment 311713View attachment 311711

LOL these picture.. xDDDD
I agree with you and SFA, speaking of sculpt and paint this line have some awesome pieces (way way better than Kenner). In my hopinion Kenner was just perfect for our childhood, when we used to play with toys instead of collect them. DCC did a very good job making accurate and good collectibles pieces. (sometimes did it with LAZYNESS and missing some important details but.. fine... no one is perfect) :D I just say enjoy your collection people! xDD

Yeah but they still haven't gotten TAS Batman sculpt down just right yet IMO :slap

I'm hoping that expansion pack will finally point them in the right direction :pray:

The comparisons I'll make are between DCC's BTAS Mask of the Phantasm Batman headsculpt and Kenner's Combat Belt Batman headsculpt.
The first DCC BTAS head doesn't even exist in my world.

IMO, this is the only headsculpt Kenner still tops DCC.
I'm by no means saying the DCC Batman head is bad. It is really good.
It's just that Kenner's Batman head is better.

However, I can perfectly live with this Batman head.
And I can't agree when people say this is bad, because it's clearly good.
The Kenner head is better, yes, but this DCC Batman head is good:

Bats!.jpg

Back