DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Diamond only shipped Batman this week. I will know later today if any of the others from Wave 1 are slated to come in next week.

Can't believe I am only about 5 hours away from owning this Batman!!!!

I am in the "don't really care about the holes" camp. As stated, you can see the arm & knee joints too, so seeing one more joint isn't that offensive to me. Given that they wanted to maintain the look of the maquette, I much prefer those little holes over a standard "ball and socket" hip (which would break up the smooth look of the hip/crotch area).

Just my opinion though. :)

Sallah

Here's mine.

10678780_10205424112505054_4768454541888791705_n_zps6987ba49.jpg

10006381_10205425173571580_8395528840045794692_n_zps8fec4cae.jpg

1510562_10205425171051517_5416878079507100244_n_zpse208a8ec.jpg

10415662_10205425174011591_8269157944512825786_n_zps0b0d563f.jpg

He looks amazing! Congrats!

Diamond only shipped Batman this week. I will know later today if any of the others from Wave 1 are slated to come in next week.

Can't believe I am only about 5 hours away from owning this Batman!!!!

I am in the "don't really care about the holes" camp. As stated, you can see the arm & knee joints too, so seeing one more joint isn't that offensive to me. Given that they wanted to maintain the look of the maquette, I much prefer those little holes over a standard "ball and socket" hip (which would break up the smooth look of the hip/crotch area).

Just my opinion though. :)

Sallah

Those are kind of my feelings, as well. The holes remind me of those wooden anatomy models that you see at craft stores, so, they don't seem like they'd be out of place on reference models in an art department (which these things really remind me of). To be honest, I'm still more pissed about the packaging. Shameless cash grab on that front.:lol

....To be honest, I'm still more pissed about the packaging. Shameless cash grab on that front.:lol

I am in the opposite camp on that. The packaging is actually costing them extra sales from me... Had it ROCKED, had it featured art specific to the character/episode or something- I would have been buying 2 (one to open and one to keep sealed).

The packaging with these is just that... Packaging. Something there just to keep my figures safe until they get to my house. I see no need in displaying that, so I won't have any qualms about throwing it right in the trash and enjoying my one loose set. :)

Sallah

Oh- And they kind of painted themselves into a corner now with this line! Looking at how loaded that Batman is at their standard price point (unique multi-articulated sculpt, special clip stand, 7 extra hands, 2 weapons, 2 interchangeable capes), I would have a real hard time justifying a purchase of one of their regular figures now for the same amount.

Of course since they only make New 52 stuff currently for the most part, that is a decision I don't have to worry about making. :)

Sallah

I am in the opposite camp on that. The packaging is actually costing them extra sales from me... Had it ROCKED, had it featured art specific to the character/episode or something- I would have been buying 2 (one to open and one to keep sealed).

The packaging with these is just that... Packaging. Something there just to keep my figures safe until they get to my house. I see no need in displaying that, so I won't have any qualms about throwing it right in the trash and enjoying my one loose set. :)

Sallah

Yeah i'm surprised that the packaging is so plain. I thought they would go all out or something but I guess I don't mind so much since I usually open all my stuff. I guess I might even prefer a plain packaging so I don't feel so bad about throwing it away instead of collecting space in my closet.

Looking at inspector's second and third picture the holes aren't as bad in certain lights. I hope they continue with the number of accessories/hands throughout the series. The Star wars black stuff has been pretty bare on the accessories recently. Han Solo ,R2d2 and Darth Maul came with a good amount of accessories but later releases like Obi Wan and Anakin came with the bare minimum.

Inspector,
Shot in the dark here, but are you in south Florida? That looks like one of the comic shops I go to in one if those pics

This is the only place I've seen where people have a problem with those little holes :lol
I agree that there are better ways of doing the articulation without the use of those peg-holes, but people are overreacting in this thread...you can also see the knee and elbow joints :dunno
In every place I see people discussing these (here, The Fwoosh, Facebook) people ARE complaining about them. With good reason too. They're unsightly. I love BTAS, I love DCC, and I HATE that I'm complaining about these figures, but those holes really do ruin otherwise PERFECT figures.

I don't really see other people discussing these on other boards.

And the holes aren't an exaggeration that people are complaining about, just to complain. It isn't hyperbole, they look bad.
Exactly. :goodpost: I've seen people complain over things for the sake of it many times before, but this is justified complaining.

True about the other joints, but those are cut joints in key areas that we as collectors have been accustomed to for decades so we don't really notice. These holes are right slap-bang in the middle of the thighs and really distract from the overall look of the thigh.
I don't think we would've got ball and socket joints in place of them, DCC are more well known for using standard t-hips which I would've preferred over what we have now.

Someone over on The Fwoosh posted that DCC themselves are unhappy with these holes, and plan to get rid of them going forward. If true, that makes me wonder if there was an oversight in production or something. I mean, they managed to get rid of the exact same holes in the shoulders and forearms, so howcome the thighs got left out?

Yup, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Other figures don't have them (even the more complex ones for that matter), neither should these. These aren't drawing models or wooden marionettes, they're figures from designs known for their sleek, streamlined appearance.

I bet the hip holes start to disappear in later waves anyway. Then I want to see what the defenders of these holes think. This first wave is a trial run, by Wave 4, I'm sure they knock the BTAS Batman out of the park with zero issues.

I feel nothing for this version of Batman. TAS version will break the Internet when it's released.

Yup, it's just not aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Other figures don't have them (even the more complex ones for that matter), neither should these. These aren't drawing models or wooden marionettes, they're figures from designs known for their sleek, streamlined appearance.

I bet the hip holes start to disappear in later waves anyway. Then I want to see what the defenders of these holes think. This first wave is a trial run, by Wave 4, I'm sure they knock the BTAS Batman out of the park with zero issues.

Agreed.

The problem is though, if/when the hole issue is fixed, that these earlier figures will still have the holes making then even more glaringly obvious. So for instance we could potentially have (just BTAS) Batman, Penguin, Riddler and Harley sans holes, and Catwoman, Joker, Robin and Man-Bat with holes. They'd look odd and unmatched all together on display.

The problem is though, if/when the hole issue is fixed, that these earlier figures will still have the holes making then even more glaringly obvious. So for instance we could potentially have (just BTAS) Batman, Penguin, Riddler and Harley sans holes, and Catwoman, Joker, Robin and Man-Bat with holes. They'd look odd and unmatched all together on display.

Nothing a revision wave wouldn't fix right? It would stink for the people that already bought the "first versions", but it's not out of the question.

Production runs change all the time, sometimes with minimal variation differences, sometimes with drastic ones. Toy Biz, Hasbro, NECA Mattel, etc. have had so many different production variants from their movie lines to comic/cartoon. Sometimes these consist of small paint variations to a completely different tool. It wouldn't surprise me if we see a revision of this Wave 1 TNBA Batman (along with Catwoman, Two-Face and Freeze) where the hip holes are non-existent and smoothed over like the shoulders, especially if DCC has a problem with it too.

Like you stated, this is the perfect example that they're capable of changing the tooling of the joints.

0_zpsedc19de1.jpg

With Wave 2 delayed and pushed back for next year, I could see Joker, Robin, Man-Bat and Ivy showing up free of hip holes. There will be a ton of Wave 1 produced, I'm sure if/when DCC smooths over the holes, Wave 1 gets revised in later batches too for consistency.

Last edited:

Batman and catwoman are being offered again this month. It would be interesting to see if that's why.

Agreed on this one. Bet they could get it solved by the time TAS version comes out later.

I have Batman and Catwoman on order from dcbs. I didn't see when they were shipping though.

With Wave 2 delayed and pushed back for next year, I could see Joker, Robin, Man-Bat and Ivy showing up free of hip holes. There will be a ton of Wave 1 produced, I'm sure if/when DCC smooths over the holes, Wave 1 gets revised in later batches too for consistency.

Lets hope so. If they are going to do it, then hopefully it'll be sooner rather than later and only ends up being wave 1 with the holes. Then as you say they can do a revision wave for consistency. Sure, it'd be a bummer for those (like me) who'd already bought them, but I'd prefer that over having some figures with and some without.

Well, I think calling us "defenders of the holes" is a little strong (and sounds kinda gross when you think about it). I am not saying I like the holes or anything... Just that they don't bother me all that much. Definitely not enough to stop me from enjoying a pretty damn awesome looking figure for current mass market prices.

That all being said- I would be a little miffed if they did another version later on without them (if they indeed do change this on future waves). I already committed myself to 3 sets at my local comic shop. They ordered them, I am obligated to buy them... I am showing support from the start. To then throw another batch out later on that would match the rest of the line better would seem kinda like a slap in the face to those that bought them early.

The only way that would be okay is if they offered exchanges for the new ones. That isn't unheard of for DC Direct... They did it in the past with one of the Crisis on Infinite Earth figure waves. The initial production run had bad QC, so a new run was offered later (it was even marked "New Run"). Folks that bought the old ones were allowed to exchange them for the new ones. That to me would be the only fair way of doing it... Otherwise you are going to have a lot of angry buyers that have figures that don't fit with the rest of their collection.

Sallah

Holes on the legs really kill it for me. Think I'll pass on the figures that have it.

Well, I think calling us "defenders of the holes" is a little strong. . .I am not saying I like the holes or anything... Just that they don't bother me all that much.
LOL Hey man, I like holes, too! No shame in that! Just not these kinds of holes.

Well, I think calling us "defenders of the holes" is a little strong (and sounds kinda gross when you think about it). I am not saying I like the holes or anything... Just that they don't bother me all that much. Definitely not enough to stop me from enjoying a pretty damn awesome looking figure for current mass market prices.

That all being said- I would be a little miffed if they did another version later on without them (if they indeed do change this on future waves). I already committed myself to 3 sets at my local comic shop. They ordered them, I am obligated to buy them... I am showing support from the start. To then throw another batch out later on that would match the rest of the line better would seem kinda like a slap in the face to those that bought them early.

The only way that would be okay is if they offered exchanges for the new ones. That isn't unheard of for DC Direct... They did it in the past with one of the Crisis on Infinite Earth figure waves. The initial production run had bad QC, so a new run was offered later (it was even marked "New Run"). Folks that bought the old ones were allowed to exchange them for the new ones. That to me would be the only fair way of doing it... Otherwise you are going to have a lot of angry buyers that have figures that don't fit with the rest of their collection.

Sallah

"Defenders of the holes". :lol

Some people dig variations though, you know, like the "first batch" sort of mentality. Hell, think of what people do over small packaging variations! If people don't really mind the holes in the hips, well I doubt they'll care if later versions don't have them. They already bought the figure they wanted. For a mass produced item I'm sure a lot of people would think nothing of it if later production runs changed. There will always be something that will upset people anyway. No matter how it turns out holes, no holes, it will be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If DCC doesn't smooth them over/fill them in, people will complain as they're doing now. If they fix them in later waves but not Wave 1, people will complain about consistency across the line. If they fix the issue and go back and rerelease Wave 1 with a revision without holes, people will complain that the first ones they bought had holes. Sort of a no win situation.

Me? I do mind. I think the holes are ghastly and make these look cheap. I'll be playing the waiting game and pass on Wave 1. Thankfully for me, I didn't preorder any of them. I buy these types of figures in person so I can see what I'm getting QC and paint wise. Wave 2 is where the fun really begins for me anyway.

Hahaha

Yeah I ordered multiple of a few of these. So I'd be a little bummed if I was stuck with them and they made revisions. In the mean time I'm going to do some patch work on one, see how it turns out.

I'll be playing the waiting game and pass on Wave 1. Thankfully for me, I didn't preorder any of them. I buy these types of figures in person so I can see what I'm getting QC and paint wise. Wave 2 is where the fun really begins for me anyway.
I think that's key. If folks vote with their wallets, then DC has an incentive to change. If not, why not more holes? Stick holes in the chest, head, crotch, whatever. The defenders of the holes will buy them anyway!

I feel nothing for this version of Batman. TAS version will break the Internet when it's released.

Indeed.

tumblr_n1txd05ton1snydeqo8_500.gif

Thanks for the pics, Clown Prince and Inspector, congrats on the pickup! :duff Glad to see these figures hitting the streets, not so glad to see those pegholes.

tumblr_inline_ndhtzySDjG1qzd886.gif

I've bought from BBTS before, but for anyone who's ordered from DCBS, what was that like? Were you satisfied? And if I wanted to get these in-hand, to check for paint, etc., will these be available at TRU or FYE, or just at the LCS? Thanks!

Back