DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Jim and Kevin just unboxed the GPD set live on Facebook. I have no pics, since photobucket became an even bigger ass**** than they already were, I'm still getting used to Imgur, and my screen caps didn't really come out, but I will give you kids my impressions.

-The jail looks a lot nicer than I expected. I definitely don't think the whole set is worth the suggested price of $175, so if you can get it for closer to $120-$135, I'd say go for it. Again it does look nice, and the lights are actually pretty cool, but I would also be worried about the cardboard getting a bit beat up in transport, although it does look like a sturdier stock than what they usually use for packaging.

-Montoya is the standout and looks perfect from what I can tell.

-Croc looks fine, I guess. Didn't get to see his face, really. Looks pretty tall.

-Ivy is still a very mixed bag. Her tights are still that lime green color from the comics and not the sage green color from the show. Her hair is red-orange like it should be and not the weird red-brown from those first promotional pics, and it looks like the bang is much improved in shape. But the hair itself now looks to be quite tall now and kind of bulbous. She also still has the sharp point on her chin that Irene Matar gave her even though her chin was actually quite round during BTAS Her wrist cross bow comes attached and is soft plastic.

-Bane's muscles could be a bit more well defined. Didn't really get a chance to see his height compared to the others.

-Freeze looks good, although I'm concerned about how the rubber material they used to cover his joints (the blue parts) will hold up over time. The snow globe does appear to be included, although we did not get a good look at it.

-Every figure seems to come with multiple hands, at least. Montoya also has guns and an extra head with no hat, Freeze appears to have the snow globe and his freeze gun, Ivy has the potted rose from Pretty poison. There are barbells for Bane.

Jim and Kevin said they'd be having a live Q&A on facebook in a few weeks, so those of you who passed on questions for me to ask at San Diego Comic Con, which I couldn't get to due to how hectic Preview Night turned out to be and the mixup with their panel timing, this sounds like it's gonna be your chance to ask them!

If you have facebook (maybe you don't need it). Go watch the video.

Last edited:

The hair does come off pretty easily, but you would need to re-glue it back on.

It wasn't a simple swap to be honest, it required a fair bit of modding, but it would've been easy and nice for DCC to give us multiple hair sculpts to swap out with for her.

I love that Signature of yours..did you do it yourself :hi5:

Thanks guyver1! :D yeah I drew those myself, plus the rest of the BTAS cast. If you click the Instagram icon under my user info you can see them all on my page there :)

-Ivy is still a very mixed bag. Her tights are still that lime green color from the comics and not the sage green color from the show. Her hair is red-orange like it should be and not the weird red-brown from those first promotional pics, and it looks like the bang is much improved in shape. But the hair itself now looks to be quite tall now and kind of bulbous. She also still has the sharp point on her chin that Irene Matar gave her even though her chin was actually quite round during BTAS Her wrist cross bow comes attached and is soft plastic.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge Ivy's tights' colors (or all her colors). A lot of factors affect these figure's colors. The lighting of the room, the camera used and our own screens are some of them. Plus, their unboxing videos are bad, just bad image quality, and the lighting of their room has affected several figures during the unboxing. I remember Batman's grey parts looking white in the Batmobile unboxing video and Clayface looking virtually yellow in that group video from last year, for example.

I think the best photo of Ivy so far, to judge her colors, is that Instagram one from last month. All figures' colors look very natural on it.
And, in my opinion, her colors look accurate, especially compared to her model sheet.
Also, have you seen her Pop Funko fig? I bet her colors will be just like Pop's, which, IMO, is good.

Last but not least, I think we should all wait to have all of them in hands and under the lights of our rooms, to judge not just her colors, but everything else. Well, my opinion.

Ivy.jpg

The tights don't look like they've changed since you complained about Ivy's colors seven months ago. If you dig the lime color now, that's cool, I guess. We'll see these things in person soon enough and can decide how we really feel about them then, I suppose.
LMAO

I'm preparing my e-mail to DCC here and, seriously:

View attachment 316425

Who approved the colors for the prototype???????? If anything, he/she is daltonian.

And may I say this? The figure's bang is better than the one on the show. :lol
I'm asking they to fix it, of course, to be more show-accurate. But it is better, no kidding.

I'd love to see this proto with the right colors. Anyone?

The tights don't look like they've changed since you complained about Ivy's colors seven months ago. If you dig the lime color now, that's cool, I guess. We'll see these things in person soon enough and can decide how we really feel about them then, I suppose.

I did complain, and I'm glad they've fixed her bang. I think also her colours, even if slightly, as they don't look like the ones on that proto image, IMO.

Yes, that was my reference image for the complaint. However, ever since that day, I've rewatched all of her episodes and realized that the colors of her pants change so much from one ep to the other, that I don't even know what's wrong and what's right, or what color that damn pant is supposed to be. On "Harley and Ivy", it's virtually white. On "House and Garden", it's more blue than green. Then, there's also the original model sheet, drawn by Bruce Timm himself, which should be the right colours, right? The animators should have had drawn and colored her based on that.
So, which color is right at the end of the day? We will never know, unless we ask Timm.

So, I've accepted this: with so many inconsistences in this series, if the figure matches any of those colors, I'll be fine with it.
To me, based on that Instagram photo, it matches Timm's model sheet, so I'm cool.

The other thing I noticed when Googling around is a lot of the Timm commissions in more recent years have her with a much pointier chin than during the show. I'll go out on a limb and say they've been using multiple sources for the sculpts as let's be honest, the animation was wildly inconsistent and even what some of us may see as definitive it may be an amalgamation of all of the variations.

Of course there are some sculpts that are just plain wrong - like Clayface.

An Lois and the latest Batgirl.

I think the best photo of Ivy so far, to judge her colors, is that Instagram one from last month. All figures' colors look very natural on it.

View attachment 357723

That picture clearly has an Instagram filter on it so is not a great colour reference really

The whole set looks great to me in that video and can't wait to buy it. Only issue for me was the delay to mid September :(

Curious to how the lights are wired and powered as I think I might re purpose them for another project

whoa, sfa, you drew your signature pictures?! That's amazing! I always thought it was some promo art that you found some where. I am very impressed!

I don't care about the colors that much on Ivy! They are acceptable as it changes between episodes etc (not the color I would go for but still looks accurate) but YAAAAAY they have fixed her hair! This is such a good news! :D

I cannot wait for this set now!

Looking at the set, I feel like they missed an excellent opportunity to give Croc a rock to throw at Batman.:lol

Quality screencap of ivy :lol

That hair... I want to build a nest in it

jkkkalh.jpg

The prototype had the shape of the bang wrong, but the hair piece itself sat pretty well on her head. We complained (rightfully so), and they went back and improved the shape of the bang a lot, but made the new hair piece so tall phantasm wants to build a nest in it (I'd say you might have to fight the family of weasels who already nest in there, but it looks like there might be plenty of room)
Also, say what you want about inconsistent animation, but her chin NEVER looked like that in BTAS. I swear that thing looks pointier than the TNBA figure.
I guess I don't care about the colors that much, after all, because that sculpt just looks plain bad to me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I think it's also the angle of the camera, in some angles she looks fine. I agree about the shin, it should be more round. Anyway let's see next month when we have them in hand ;)

Back