DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Man, I have to say, I'd actually buy a Stromwell figure. "It's Never Too Late" is one of my all-time favorite episodes, as it's something you'd never expect from a cartoon, really, and it's just so damn good. Batman as a sort of "Ghost of Christmas Past," The Sunrise Foundation, Arnie's childhood and his brother; all of the themes are so sophisticated and it packs a punch.

To this day, I don't think anything comes close to the DCAU, not Avengers: EMH, not Young Justice; nothing, and it's not just about quality, as other shows have been really good, but it's about heart. You have episodes like that in TAS and then you have moments like the one in "Epilogue" in JLU, where we see Batman comfort a dying girl in her moment of need, and it paints a complete picture of a complex individual who truly believes in not only the virtues of Justice, but of someone who genuinely believes in helping people.

Last edited:

Man, I have to say, I'd actually buy a Stromwell figure. "It's Never Too Late" is one of my all-time favorite episodes, as it's something you'd never expect from a cartoon, really, and it's just so damn good. Batman as a sort of "Ghost of Christmas Past," The Sunrise Foundation, Arnie's childhood and his brother; all of the themes are so sophisticated and it packs a punch.

To this day, I don't think anything comes close to the DCAU, not Avengers:EMH, not Young Justice; nothing, and it's not just about quality, as other shows have been really good, but it's about heart. You have episodes like that in TAS and then you have moments like the one in "Epilogue" in JLU, where we see Batman comfort a dying girl in her moment of need, and it paints a complete picture of a complex individual who truly believes in not only the virtues of Justice, but of someone who genuinely believes in helping people.

Yes, man! Exactly!
BTAS is all about characters and heart.

"It's Never Too Late" is indeed amazing, and so is "I Am The Night" - that final scene with Batman and the boy... Jesus.
Also: that final scene on "Harley's Holiday", where she asks why did he bother to prove she was innocent given that she'd only been trouble to people, and he answers "I've had bad days too". What a hero, man!
"Second Change", as well... The deep dialogs between Batman and Harvey, Batman and Robin. The final moment where Harvey - apparently - triumphs over Two-Face and says "Bruce. Good ol' Bruce. Always there. You never give up on me" - and the shadow covering his burnt side.

God, so many special moments.

I'm pretty sure Two Face appeared in inmate clothes in one of the episodes I've seen. Penguin was in inmate clothes too but in Stonegate. Mr. Freeze was never in Arkham but Stonegate as well.

Looking over that comprehensive list I question how in demand figures like the Terrible Trio would be? I thought that episode was rather lame. I didn't like the Maxie Zeus episode either but I'd buy a figure of him. To me he was like King Tutt from the Adam West series. You forgot Farmer Brown, his daughter, and Calendar Girl on that list....

I'm not even a comic book person and I enjoy the DC Animated Universe for the reasons you guys have cited. Batman is the pin that holds it all together. There's so many great episodes in all of the various series. You've cited some of my favorites but there's another in BATMAN BEYOND where Terry is tricked by a girl and the show ends with old Bruce telling him "Let me tell you about a woman named Seline Kyle..." I loved call backs like that. If you liked that Two-Face episode, have you ever read the comic Bruce Timm and Paul Dini did where Two Face is cured? It would have made a great TV episode. I wish they'd animate some of those comic book stories while the voice actors are still alive to do them.

Do you guys consider the JUSTICE LEAGUE: GODS & MONSTERS line to be a companion line to the BATMAN line since they're Bruce Timm designs with the same base and stand?

You forgot Farmer Brown, his daughter, and Calendar Girl on that list....
I didn't forget them. The list was BTAS specific, and didn't include TNBA characters like those you mentioned, or Firefly or Roxy Rocket or Nightwing.

On a different subject: I emailed DCC last week and specifically asked if the Batsignal would be sold separately in the future. This was their reply:

The deluxe Batmobile set was not originally planned and is in response to fan requests for figures that had new capes. We added the Bat-Signal piece as an addition.

We will talk about it more at NY Toy Fair so please stay tuned for then.

Kevin

So no definitive answer at all which I kinda expected to be honest.

I didn't forget them. The list was BTAS specific, and didn't include TNBA characters like those you mentioned, or Firefly or Roxy Rocket or Nightwing.

On a different subject: I emailed DCC last week and specifically asked if the Batsignal would be sold separately in the future. This was their reply:

So no definitive answer at all which I kinda expected to be honest.

If it was released due to fan demand then why not just release the cloth cape versions with the bat signal as a set??

I'm curious from previous Toy Fair events, how many waves do folks anticipate DCC will showcase? Last year if I recall they showed the BTAS Batman Wave and the Nightwing Wave correct? and then they showed the Gordon Wave later in the year at SDCC and had the Clayface Wave but with no photos allowed. So do people anticipate seeing 2 waves on display? I know we will finally see the Clayface Wave proper and hopefully at least 1 more wave.... so maybe 8 figures along with any special deluxe ones? Maybe a vehicle or if they announce a Superman line. Just a few weeks to go!

Thoughts?

I'm curious from previous Toy Fair events, how many waves do folks anticipate DCC will showcase? Last year if I recall they showed the BTAS Batman Wave and the Nightwing Wave correct? and then they showed the Gordon Wave later in the year at SDCC and had the Clayface Wave but with no photos allowed. So do people anticipate seeing 2 waves on display? I know we will finally see the Clayface Wave proper and hopefully at least 1 more wave.... so maybe 8 figures along with any special deluxe ones? Maybe a vehicle or if they announce a Superman line. Just a few weeks to go!

Thoughts?

I'd be surprised if we saw any more than 8 figures that we don't know are already coming. This doesn't include maybe a first wave of Superman the Animated Series or more Gods and Monsters figures. Should we start a "Predict 5" poll lol? The next wave after Clayface's should be 3 BTAS figures and 1 TNBA figure if they follow the pattern they have been so far.

I'd be surprised if we saw any more than 8 figures that we don't know are already coming. This doesn't include maybe a first wave of Superman the Animated Series or more Gods and Monsters figures. Should we start a "Predict 5" poll lol? The next wave after Clayface's should be 3 BTAS figures and 1 TNBA figure if they follow the pattern they have been so far.

Didn't someone already post in this thread a tip off to 4 or 5 figures coming that haven't been announced yet? I think they said Grey Ghost, BTAS Batgirl, Scarface, and there were at least 2 others....

How many GODS & MONSTERS figures could there be? I haven't seen the movie yet but I have the first wave.

My hopes for future BATMAN waves this are are BTAS Two Face, Killer Croc, Bullock, Alfred, and Bruce Wayne. I'd also like to see the Clayface sculpt improved. I bet we see TNBA Riddler this year too....

Didn't someone already post in this thread a tip off to 4 or 5 figures coming that haven't been announced yet? I think they said Grey Ghost, BTAS Batgirl, Scarface, and there were at least 2 others....
Maybe but I'm not sure.

Next wave wishlist:

BTAS-Batgirl,Bane,Croc - Mr. Freeze/Nora 2pk

TNBA-Joker

Next few waves predictions/wish lists:

Wave 8 -

BTAS: Batgirl, Ventriloquist, Mr Freeze
TNBA: Penguin

Wave 9 -

BTAS: Poison Ivy
TNBA: Joker, Riddler, Glider Batman

Deluxe -

BTAS: Batcylcle
BTAS: Batcomputer & Alfred
BTAS: Gray Ghost & Bruce Wayne 2 pack

Judging by the previously mentioned Jim Fletcher podcast interview from the summer, I'd say Wave 8 could consist of some or all of the following:
Kyodai Ken, TAS Two-Face, HARDAC Batman, and TNBA Riddler. Then maybe a Deluxe Jetwing Batman to go alongside the wave. (as revealed by AFI when Roxy came out)

Whoever it'll be, I'm getting really excited to find out in less than 3 weeks!!

Not exactly a wish list but a guess list -

Next Wave:

BTAS Poison Ivy
BTAS Ventriloquist
BTAS Bullock
TNBA Penguin

Following Wave:

TNBA Bruce Wayne
TNBA Joker
TNBA Mad Hatter
BTAS Talia

My wish list:

Wave 8:

BTAS: Red Claw, Bullock, Montoya
TNBA: Calendar Girl

Wave 9:

BTAS: Summer
TNBA: The Judge, Farmer Brown, Jason Blood.

I think Bullock/Montoya/Batsignal would make a great exclusive set that would sell quite well IMHO!

Not exactly a wish list but a guess list -

Next Wave:

BTAS Poison Ivy
BTAS Ventriloquist
BTAS Bullock
TNBA Penguin

Following Wave:

TNBA Bruce Wayne
TNBA Joker
TNBA Mad Hatter
BTAS Talia

I really hope they do a BTAS Ventriloquist soon.

Well if they are doing a statue of Ivy from TAS version how can DCC not do a figure from TAS version

Well if they are doing a statue of Ivy from TAS version how can DCC not do a figure from TAS version

[/QUOTE

I've been meaning to suggest that here myself!

Hey, where can I hear this podcast that's frequently cited with the figure makers?

I really hope they do a BTAS Ventriloquist soon.

I agree! My wish list for the next two waves would be:

Wave 8
BTAS Bullock, Ventriloquist, Poison Ivy
TNBA Penguin

Wave 9
TNBA Catwoman, Joker, Mad Hatter
BTAS Mr Freeze

I can't wait for a Ventriloquist and Scarface figure. I wonder how the figure will work with Scarface? I could see them making one of the hand attachments be a partial hand and Scarface already attached. Whenever they do release him, I really hope they release the BTAS version first.

I prefer the BTAS ventriloquist design too w3hen he looked like Larry David....

I think when they do him the hand should slip into Scarface. I have Scarface is articulated like Baby Doll was too.

Back