DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

The next Batman figure I want is the replicant HARDAC Batman.

qJJp6E4.gif

It's kind of sad when you think that was essentially Bruce Wayne/Batman's mind in a robot's body. He even thought that initially. I kinda doubt DCC does him though, seems too obscure. I'd buy a two pack with him and a regular Batman with torn cape and sword.

I think they will eventually. They made the Creeper, so a Terminator Batman figure seems unique enough for them to make it, imo.

Holy Batmobile Batman!

Holy crap! That thing is huge :lol

Just got my first BTAS figure Manbat and whoa that wingspan! BBTS should be sending my POL with the Batmobile and Batman soonish,what an awesome line.

When I see Bruce Timm defending and complimenting the redesigns on The New Batman Adventures, I swear I can't believe my eyes.

"I think 80% of the characters were vastly improved on the second go-round. The new Batman design was killer (and) the new Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn and Mr. Freeze were all really crisp and really cool. They lent themselves much better to animation than the old style, which was a little bit rubbery and more balloon-y."

Timm and Dini's 'Batman' influence lives on in new toys

Seriously, man?

Yea, there really is nothing superior about The New Batman Adventures when you compare it to the original series.

I love the writing and stories of TAS infinitely more, but as an illustrator and designer I agree 100% with Timm on the NBA designs.

And since he did them, it's not surprising he would defend and compliment them. Freeze for example is his, while the tas version was designed by Mike mignola. I like both equally.

I wouldn't say 80% of the characters looked better though. I can think of six characters from NBA that look better.

Penguin
Batgirl
Baby Doll
Mad Hatter
Bane
Ventriloquist / Scar Face

maybe... Poison Ivy..but I still like the original.

I love the writing and stories of TAS infinitely more, but as an illustrator and designer I agree 100% with Timm on the NBA designs.

Pretty much this. I love most of the TNBA designs. The Bat Team especially. Batman is the only one that is equally as good, but Robin, Nightwing and Batgirl rock in TNBA. Hell, there were some well written episodes of TNBA too, some of my favorites actually.

Oh and the animation is FAR superior.

Scarecrow, Croc, Penguin, Bane and Freeze are superior designs imo, while The Ventriloquist, Ivy, Hatter, Clayface and Harley all are about equal. Joker is creepier, even though he lacks the lipstick. The only one that springs to mind that I truly hated is The Riddler. He got the shaft BIG TIME in TNBA.

I have always liked both equally. There is Stuff I like better about the BTAS and Stuff I like about TNBA.
Personally don't like TNA riddler or Freeze, but will buy them just to be a completist.

When I see Bruce Timm defending and complimenting the redesigns on The New Batman Adventures, I swear I can't believe my eyes.

Seriously, man?

I agree with him.:)

Edit: Woah, surprised to see so much support of TNBA designs here. I thought it would be the usual "TNBA sucks" circle jerk.

I prefer TAS > TNBA in both story and looks, but neither were bad.

Just a preference :dunno

As a child, Batman the animated series inspired me to draw my own cartoons - i would try so hard to learn how to draw all of the characters and it was hard work for 7 year old me! However, i remember distinctly when TNBA came out i was like WHOA, these new designs are WAAYYYY easier to draw. The BTAS designs were like theatrical release / Disney quality drawings and facial expressions. it was hard to get the details and proportions looking right - TNBA looked like a Saturday Morning cartoon - I figured out how to draw those designs on like the 2nd try lol BTAS took MANY MANY tries.

My hate towards TNBA is purely personal.
They traumatized me with the changes when I was young.

I was so used to the original BTAS and then suddenly... They were all gone.

My dad would tape the episodes (remember when we'd do that?) regularly, because I was in school.
Then one day I got back from school and I went watching and... Where was my Batman????
I remember I yelling at my dad "what is this? This is not Batman! This is not Robin!"

Poor kid.

I don't hate TNBA but I think BTAS is superior in every aspect save for animation (lots of the BTAS episodes have aged horribly due to shoddy animation, TNBA is much more fluid in that regard).

This is what I like about The New Batman Adventures,

+ Holiday Knights
+ Joker's Millions
+ Mad Love (I loved the comic, I really wish it was a BTAS episode though)
+ Over the edge (fantastic, well written "what if", I just wish Batgirl dying was true)
+ Old Wounds
+ Beware the Creeper
+ Judgment Day
+ Knight time
+ World's Finest
+ Legends of the Dark Knight (probably my favorite of TNBA, fantastic episode)

+ newly designed Batmobile (it would be hard to pass on a toy of this with Batman and Tim Drake Robin or Nightwing)
+ new Penguin design
+ new creepy Scarecrow (though I though I prefer BTAS and thought it was a mistake to never show a pathetic Johnathan Crane)
+ smoother, cleaner animation
+ I dug Batman's new look with the black and grey and pouches, though I prefer BTAS)

I hated,

- Batman/Bruce Wayne's personality, he seemed completely different, mean and bland
- Tara Strong as the new Batgirl (sounded rough)
- Joker's horrible redesign
- Riddler's horrible bald redesign and no episodes for him
- Catwoman's awful redesign as that small, black and white smiling thing
- Killer Croc completely changing, from voice to look to characterization
- the abomination that is Mr. Freeze, they totally ruined his character in my opinion, his story should have ended
- spider Freeze
- BDSM fetish gimp Bane
- Clayface, he should have stayed dead after that fantastic, dramatic BTAS Mudslide episode
- emphasis on the "Bat-family" (I prefer Batman solo and/or Batman and Robin)
- Bruce and Barbara having a "thing"

- how drab the characters and city had become, liked they sucked the color and life out of it
- no more graphic Title card illustrations
- every one looked the same with angular bodies, small eyes, and less details

It also came at a time where I was losing interest in Batman and cartoon stuff. I wasn't fond of the revamp and it didn't feel like "my" Batman anymore like the Burton and Animated Series incarnations did in the early-mid 90s. It was a shift where I just wasn't interested. I followed the episodes, but was turned off by it mostly. It felt like they changed it for budget reasons so it would be cheaper to produce. I prefer the classic 92'-95' by far. I have no real personal attachment to TNBA, one of the reasons I haven't been buying any of these TNBA figures.

My hate towards TNBA is purely personal.
They traumatized me with the changes when I was young.

I was so used to the original BTAS and then suddenly... They were all gone.

My dad would tape the episodes (remember when we'd do that?) regularly, because I was in school.
Then one day I got back from school and I went watching and... Where was my Batman????
I remember I yelling at my dad "what is this? This is not Batman! This is not Robin!"

Poor kid.

Was that the day you decided to become a vigilante and fight injustice... to turn fear against those who prey on the fearful? :D

Back