DarkArtist's End of the Line Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DarkArtist's Creations of DOOM!

I miss the days when Horror actually had suspense... Like Halloween, The Shining, Jaws, Alien... Not like that anymore.. everyone wants things to be fast loud and intense... that's not how fear works. It's a slow build.

If I am in costume and I JUMP out to scare some one, screaming.. I might get a cheap scream. But if I stand there and just stare, wait for them to laugh it off and try to shoo me away or get me to talk... just stand there and stare back, maybe move towards them slowly... Well, their barriers get broken down and they start to doubt themselves... Fear gets a grip on their brains and they might run or start trembling. THAT is how it's done...

Modern horror doesn't get that... it's really sad IMO...

There are a few out there, just not too many. I would say Session 9, Blair Witch, and most recently, The Strangers. By and large, I agree with you though.

The Strangers just scared the crap out of me, my wife and my Hulk PF. That's how scary it was.

Really that scary? I haven't seen it yet, what would you compare it to?

Excellent question.

First, my favorite horror movies:

Halloween 1, Exorcist, Black Christmas (original), The Ring, Jeepers Creepers 1, Friday the 13th 1, Blair Witch 1, The Howling, American Werewolf in London, The Thing (Carpenters), The Others and Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1. There are others, just a sampling.

Gore DOES NOT scare me therefore Hostel and Saw DO NOT scare me. Michael Myers, Jason, Freddy and Pinhead DO NOT scare me. I laugh at these dumb characters. Yes gore is required in certain circumstances and is used in The Strangers to keep the move grounded in reality as it should be.

H1 is a classic because it's THE SHAPE in that movie and not Michael Myers. F13 only has Jason at the very end in a very effective scene that was scary the first time and still makes me jump when he comes out of the water. Too think that at one point a F13 movie was actually scary, remember Marcie in the bathroom in part 1, and not garbage like 2 thru parts 1000.

That being said, i'm not saying that all the movies on my top list are all scary, some are not and some are but all are classics for me for one reason or another.

The Strangers goes back to the 70's to get its influence and it's an almagation of Halloween 1 (70's), Texas Chainsaw Massacre (70's), Charles Manson Helter Skelter story (69-70's) and Black Christmas (70's), elements were taken from all of these and combined to make an effective scary movie.

As we all know, sounds in the dark, real life situations, violation of one's private life and home will always be scarier than gore and silly Freddy Krueger being shown 100 x on the screen cackling away.

I now regret not seeing this movie in the theater with a crowd although it's just as effective in your house in the dark especially with a sorround sound.

Heck, this movie would be scary during the day with no surround sound, that's how scary it is.

I'm happy that I went into it not knowing anything about it. Now, i'm not saying that I wasn't frustrated with some of the decisions that the characters made in The Strangers but regardless, still very effective.

I hear that The Orphange is also scary, I have to get that one.

Please, do yourself a favor. Rent it. You won't regret it.

Then please let me know what you thought.

:)

Last edited:

So the Strangers relives the 70's style horror? Thats all I needed to hear, I will be renting this thing tommorrow for sure! Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

Black Christmas (original),

:)

It makes me so happy whenever I see people who love this movie. I agree that this was one of the scariest movies I have ever seen, and may have the scariest single shot of all time. Once you see it, you will know the one.

Black Christmas is a criminally unseen movie by many. Do yourself a favor and pick this gem up!!

Well if imdb can give it a 7.3/10 and Halloween an 8 then I will be renting this one a.s.a.p. So The Strangers and Black Christmas it is!

Thanks guys!

I don't know if I loved The Strangers as much as some here, but i did like it a lot and it's totally worth a rental.
One thing that I really liked - at no point do you leave the POV of the victims. No cuts to anyone lurking outside, no killer's POV watching the poor schmucks running away. You are trapped with these people and it works.

I don't know if I loved The Strangers as much as some here, but i did like it a lot and it's totally worth a rental.
One thing that I really liked - at no point do you leave the POV of the victims. No cuts to anyone lurking outside, no killer's POV watching the poor schmucks running away. You are trapped with these people and it works.

Agree 100%

Thanks man! More work to be posted soon, just been busy these past few days with another Speech.. :lol

Rorschach! :banana Rorschach! :banana Rorschach! :banana

Oh yes, and the other more "serious" comic figure --- can't wait to add some 1/6 to my life.

:rock :rock After seeing these both in person, I can appreciate and understand Josh's "takes time" comments.

Josh, my Wolverine head arrived today. All I can to you is THANK YOU for giving me back what I had lost. Excellent work you did on him!

Here is a before picture and 2 after pictures. I did these really quick, I couldn't wait to show you. I'll do close ups on Friday.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back