Dark Phoenix PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Gang.

Haven't posted here in quite some time, but when I got the e-mail from SS about the DPPFF, this is where I knew I could find other avid fans.

Just a little backstory: I've been a HUGE Phoenix/Dark Phoenix fan ever since she first emerged from Jamaica Bay way back in Uncanny X-Men 101. Byrne and Austin's run on X-Men secured her a spot as one of my top five favorite, if not my overall favorite, superhero/villian of all time. Fast forward 40 years (Really? 40 years? Man, time does fly.) and I get the aforementioned e-mail from SS teasing not just a Dark Phoenix figure, but one in the Premium Format line. It was THE best Christmas present I got! LOL!

I've never ponied up the cash to buy anything from SS, but Dark Phoenix is likely a figure I simply will not be able to pass up. My hope is that the teaser photo is just basically a mock up so they would, indeed, have something to tease us with. I'm really hoping that whomever is sculpting the figure will use the Byrne/Austin rendition as a strong influence. The way they were able to make her face both sexy and frightening at the same time is something I've always loved and seeing that in three dimensions would send my geek heart into orbit. When I first saw the Batgirl Premium Format figure, I studied Barbara Gordon's facial structure and thought "Man, wouldn't it be great to see a Phoenix/Dark Phoenix executed at this level." Fingers crossed.

I, too, am hoping that they will do a couple of variant heads/faces as well as a normal, green and gold version of the Phoenix. I have both versions of the Kotobukiya figure and love those to death. Would be really, really cool for them to find some way of incorporating the actual Phoenix effect into the overall piece, as well (as they did the big, ring-generated fist on the GL PF figure). I'm sure it would drive the price point up, but, hey, in for a penny, in for a pound, eh?

Can't wait to see more of this figure as it evolves!

Welcome

Well to answer one of your questions

Joe Jung did the body and base

and Will Harbottle did the head sculpt

-----

We can only guess as to when this will go up for preorders, typically these sneek peaks go up sooner than later, most times within the next couple months. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Dark Phoenix go up around Valentines Day, and standard Phoenix Variant before Comic Con (July).

It would be interesting if the Exclusive was Phoenix and the Regular was Dark Phoenix.

But who knows, its almost a certainty there will be a Phoenix variant or variants

Last edited:
about sexy

Dark Phoenix always struck me as a mean mean ***** on her period.
XMen135.jpg

I like how the sneak tries to use light and dark shadows on her face to convey the angst the character possesses. Ill be satisfied with an extra portrait hopefully one that is grinning in a malevolent way, or angry screaming face

She looks CRAZY most of the time in comics... would've preferred her eyes a golden hue not fiery white eyes

4be8b49035d5b.jpg

Jim Lee does a fan ****ing tastic job of drawing these women beautifully, I don't know if this pose would translate perfectly in 3D but as for the epitome of a perfect Dark Phoenix, this pops in my head from my childhood

296f29167a5477c687e44b791a874794.jpg

9543c6da963c7e92ff898bd1ff492c25.jpg

Toy Biz also did a pretty great job on the head sculpt here for the Phoenix 12" figures

DP_Box.jpg

I like this pose too, maybe with a psionic effect in her hands, just not cheesy like Wandas EX

56864e022982064f423b0748938f9983.jpg

and this would've made a pretty cool Daredevil PF

1992-Marvel-Universe-3-Base-Daredevil.jpg

am I the only one here that collected the Marvel Universe trading cards from the early 90s?

Almostn all version of Jim Lee will be gold. Any character from Marvel or DC.

I don't see this being more than $500 tbh. Also, I think i am the only one that loves the x bases lol. However, I don't see them doing an x base for this since she wasn't technically part of the team (not counting Jean of course), right?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

we are in very good hands as far as the sculpt goes. Hopefully the art direction doesn't disappoint.

I am not expecting a huge, elaborate base but for the love of god don't have those black things on the bottom. Hate those with a passion.

The preview doesn't impress as much as I hoped it would. Face seems off. An elaborate base could make this very tempting but SS hasn't really done that yet, very curious.

The preview doesn't impress as much as I hoped it would. Face seems off. An elaborate base could make this very tempting but SS hasn't really done that yet, very curious.

Agree with you on the face, but again, hopefully that is only a preliminary design. The face in the shot looks a little too gaunt and pointy. I know I likely sound like a broken record, but Byrne, I think, nailed the shape of her face perfectly. Slightly squared off jawline, but still very feminine. Back in the days when the WB was still a network, I always thought that Sarah Wayne Callies had a facial structure pretty close to what I imagined Jean Grey to look like. After checking out some of the works of Will Harbottle on the Internet, I'm fairly hopeful that we'll get a Dark Phoenix who truly IS a dark angel----beautifu, but deadly...

Someone mentioned in a facebook group that this wasn't sculpted by Mark Newman. What a shame if that's true, that man is the master of female anatomy.

Man, I really hope we get to see the full reveal soon. At least that'll allow us to see this piece clearly ...

Back