Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of those look great Captain Sack, although I see no resemblance between Anakin bust and Hayden...even though it is supposedly a scan:confused: But the others look very much like the real actors--especially Samuel L. Jackson.

Also, what is going on with Anakin's left eye? That doesn't look normal for a squint or even natural ptosis. The second to last bust has something strange going on with his right eye as well. Is he winking? LOL

Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

I see the scans as a fantastic "start" to the sculpting process. Those examples look too clean and lack texture to the skin and clothing. I can see an artist taking it from there and adding "character" to the pieces, thus taking them to the next level.

As for the whole PF vs 12" debate, I think that in the case of the Star Wars lines, the PF line has not yet lived up to it's potential while the 12" line has exceeded all expectations.

Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

Sideshow Andy said:
Sometimes scans of the original props may even be used (as was the case with the PF Vader helmet, which makes much of the argument over it's proportions somewhat amusing).

:mwaha to say thats "amusing" is a huge understatement Andy!

Sideshow Andy said:
...Sometimes scans of the original props may even be used (as was the case with the PF Vader helmet, which makes much of the argument over it's proportions somewhat amusing).

So, the cats out of the bag. The helmet is fine, it's the body that's too big. :p ;) :naughty

The PF Vader helmet is a scan from a real helmet?
I'm really baffled by this Andy because I own a lifesize casting from a real ANH helmet and it doesn't look much like the 1/4 PF version. There are so many things off with the proportions on the facemask. I guess something got lost in the translation from 3D computer data to the finished casting?

Chris

cking said:
The PF Vader helmet is a scan from a real helmet?
I'm really baffled by this Andy because I own a lifesize casting from a real ANH helmet and it doesn't look much like the 1/4 PF version. There are so many things off with the proportions on the facemask. I guess something got lost in the translation from 3D computer data to the finished casting?

Chris

Or, something got lost in your casting from the real ANH helmet. ;) :D

Admittedly, the scan-to-prototype method is not always 100% accurate (one reason I personally think scanned portraits are not always better than sculpted ones), there are often times when things get distorted in the process.

But, without getting into another Vader helmet debate :))), I can tell you that the piece was tweaked over and over and over (and over again) until it met Lucasfilm's specifications, as all of our SW products do.

I guess Lucasfilms specifications were that Vader should look like the ROTS for the shake of their absurd "reverse continuity". So it makes them responsible IMO for the failed likeness to the ANH style.

I just could not believe SS sculptors had such a bad eye for proportion and forms being so proffesional as they have proven to be.

MY 2 cents.

Mini-Rock - I'm afraid you're argument is flawed for one simple reason. My helmet casting looks EXACTLY like the ANH helmet seen on screen. The PF helmet does not.

Andy - thanks for clarifying that. It does sound like the constant Lucasfilm revisions have resulted in a hybrid version of the original trilogy helmet and the horrible ROTS symmetrical version. :confused:

Chris

Fascinating thread. I've never understood how scans are used, since I presume no actor is going to hold an expression long enough to make a scan. How does a sculptor add expression? Andy had mentioned before that Oluf likes to use them...my question is, how does he use them? Does he copy a maquette that's been machine-made, adding attitude to it?

As for the argument in this thread, I know a guy who says he likes food that tastes good. I'm like him. I just like sculpted portraiture that looks good.

cking said:
My helmet casting looks EXACTLY like the ANH helmet seen on screen.

Which one?

Sideshow Andy said:
I can tell you that the piece was tweaked over and over and over (and over again) until it met Lucasfilm's specifications, as all of our SW products do.

That is good to know since I want my ANH SS 1/4 Vader as perfect as possible; and, it looks like I'll be getting what I want. Thanks Andy. :)

Nice pics. Good point!

CKing's helmet is PERFECT. I have always loved that piece.

I wish the Sideshow helmet looked more like his helmet.

Sideshow should have spent another 6 months on it to get it right. There are so many things still wrong with it....

Chris, shall we have a 1/4 helmet made for Sideshow Vader? :)

JustinLuck said:
Is there a link to a pic of Cking's helmet? I'd like to see it.

Well, since it apparently looks just like the one in ANH, you can just watch the movie. ;) :D

zeiss said:
CKing's helmet can be found here:

https://web.ukonline.co.uk/bingo275/vaderfananh.htm

Now THAT looks like the Vader I remember from ANH. The Sideshow Vader doesn't resemble it at all.

:horror :horror :horror
...that's a vader from anh!,,. ckings lifesize vader is perfect, just perfect,,. that's museum quality,,;; :horror awesome..simply awesome..,
,,can somebody please post a picture of cking's vader on this thread? thanks,..

OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, THAT is the Vader we all know and love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even have to scrutinize it one bit. It is instantly recognizable as the perfect Vader!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PERFECT PROPORTIONS!!!!:horror

If Sideshow can make their 1/6 Vader's mask look like that, then heaven does exist! :fireworks

newckANHvad3.jpg

finalckinganhVader1.jpg

And while we're at it, here's an outstanding C-3PO head!

throne3po02.JPG

Last edited:

,,...hey justin,..post his whole vader please.,,, :horror

edit: thanks,,

Last edited:
Back