Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

cking's vader is perfect.Period.

Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

That's a great Vader helmet. I have to confess that when I saw it it definitely struck me as Vader's ANH helmet more so than Sideshow's BUT I think sideshow's Vader is VERY good. I agree with Bear and his friend, I like what looks good. I know nobody on here is saying it looks bad (I don't think so anyways).

Now here's why I like sideshow's helmet. I'm not looking for a perfect replica of the movie. The helmet, along with other parts of the costume, changed in every movie. Since I don't think sideshow will make a Vader for every movie and if they did I wouldn't buy more than one. So what I am really looking for is the essence of the character. Since I doubt Vader was keeping with the in trends (weren't capes out in the 70's? :wacky) I doubt he changed his life support outfit every two years. Well that was wordy and I hope I didn't bore anyone... :lecture

ya didn't bore me agent -- more like echoed what i've been thinking every time the vader helmet issue comes up: it isn't a prop replica, right? the statue looks spectacular (imho), captures the essence of the character, soooooo. . . why the constant nitpicking??? if the fact it's symetrical when the original prop wasn't or this bit is a different color bothers you, thhhhheeeeen don't buy it. no offense to anyone who's really feverently behind the whole 100% accuracy thing intended. just my thoughts. :)

I also buy what is attractive. But unfortunately, for me, the PF mask and helmet do not look enough like the Vader I grew up watching. If there is going to be only one definitive version that is a combination of all the Vader suits, I still want to easily recognize it as what I saw in the OT. Not matching to a particular suit, but what I remember Vader as. When I saw CKing's Vader, it didn't take even a split second to immediately recognize the Vader I grew up watching as a kid. This unfortunately does not happen when I look at the PF version....I sure with it did! I certainly WANT myself to like it. But I just can't. I'm not trying to nitpick either...

,,from sideshow site: "Sideshow Collectibles’ Premium Format Darth Vader Figure is a museum quality 1/4 scale reproduction of the Dark Lord’s appearance in Star Wars: A New Hope."

,,so ,,they tried to make it looking like it was from anh,,but failed.,, if you are trying to recreate the most famous epic scene in the sw saga,.. vader x obi,..then you better do it right,, which isn't the case here. this essence of the character talk sounds like a big excuse to me .,,
,,i'm keeping my order,,..but they could have done much better,..sure they could,..just look at cking's vader and compare with what we are getting,..

Ckings Vader helmet is too small for the statue:

002.jpg

finalckinganhVader1.jpg

The helmet itself looks great...by itself. However, where is the black tusk? And, the lenses are TOO red. Also, the lenses aren't rounded enough. You'd think that for a 1:1 replica, the errors would be much more limited. Overall, looks great though, but I'll stick with MR's definitive Vader helmet. :)

The helmet on the full size statue in that pic is an old one and not the one that I was referring too. You need to look at the following pic to see my final, more accurate version (which was cast from an original).

3800139-lg.jpg

If you can't see the pic, click on this link:
https://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=3800139&size=lg

The black tusk simply has not been painted black at this time. Never got around to it. :D

Chris

Cris, unfortunately, I can't see it. Too hi res maybe? Dunno. Can you email me the pic ([email protected]). Thanks, Luis

Why was the tusk painted black in the movie? If there was anything that could be changed about the 1/6 scale, I wouldn't mind removing the features used to improve photography during actual filming of the movie. (All black mask instead of gun metal grey on portions of cheeks and both tusks painted silver.)

Would anyone else like an accurate looking Vader, but as he would look in real life and not made for photography purposes?

Last edited:

This may be nitpicking, but we are all looking at the shot of Vader's big entrance at the start of Star Wars, with complaints that they didn't capture his appearance in that classic scene. I don't think he's meant to. Isn't this figure a representation of Vader towards the end of the film, during his duel with Obi-Wan?

Can somebody post a shot of him during the part of the movie that is actually being depicted? I would like to compare the figure to the scene he is actually supposed to be from, if that is possible. Don't have my DVD with me to check for myself.

CKing Vader helmet was casted from a original helmet. That makes it a perfect ANH helmet period. BTW I think your prop room is one of the classiest ones I've ever seen, simple, elegant and original.

Mini-Rock,
Something eludes me from your reasoning

first you said
That is good to know since I want my ANH SS 1/4 Vader as perfect as possible; and, it looks like I'll be getting what I want. Thanks Andy.

then you see Ckings helmet (no his ANH copy but the other one with the full body) and state
Ckings Vader helmet is too small for the statue ..... The helmet itself looks great...by itself. However, where is the black tusk?

Not only Ckings old helm is right on its proportions (1/5 of total Vader's height) but...

Where is the black tusk on SS PF Vader? Where is the right proportions on the SS PF Vader? (I guess you should ask for the same accuracy in any ANH Vader repro, right?)

I'm sure that in the future someone will offer the true accurate ANH Vader scaled repro. While that people may buy the Vader PF for a really well done Lucasfilm version of ANH Vader, after all its each one money to spent on what they want. On my side I will not keep this one and will wait for a more movie accurate depiction.

Thanks for the compliments Fat Hobbitss. It's taken me a long time to end up with the display room like that. I went through many different versions!

JustinLuck - cool screen grabs. The third one down is flipped though (look at the position of the three silver "coin slots" on Vader's chest box). This always bugged me in the movie - I guess they thought it looked more dramatic that way around. Don't try and compare anything to that flipped image because due to the lack of symmetry on the original helmet, it doesnt' look correct when it's mirrored like that.

That close-up screen grab of Vader's helmet (which shows the Death Star wall panels behind) is the inspiration for my display.

Something else I should point out about the photo of my older statue (with the less accurate helmet) is that the shoulder armor did not slope down as much as it should. My new armor addressed this problem and doesn't look like Vader has his shoulders shrugged any longer.

Chris

Yes, awesome collection Chris. You know I have always loved it! Very classy.

Mini, you have to admit it's more accurate that Sideshow's helmet. Just look at it! ;)

Well, for me I decided to go ahead and purchase the Vader. Besides some of maybe the small silver details on the 1/4 scale helmet. It looks like they did a bang up job on it. I've never really understood all the fuss about the helm it looks accurate to me.

fat hobbitss said:
CKing Vader helmet was casted from a original helmet. That makes it a perfect ANH helmet period.

The SS 1/4 Vader helmet is from a direct scan of the original helmet. That makes it a perfect ANH helmet period.

fat hobbitss said:
Mini-Rock,
Something eludes me from your reasoning. Where is the black tusk on SS PF Vader? Where is the right proportions on the SS PF Vader? (I guess you should ask for the same accuracy in any ANH Vader repro, right?)

That is my point! Those were issues brought up by a handful of people on this forum about the SS 1/4 Vader, but when Ckings lifesize Vader pics were posted, no one pointed out those same issues (which Cking has admitted himself) with that one. Ckings lifesize Vader was refered to as "the Vader I remember" when actually it has an inaccurate helmet and a body too big for the helmet. If there are people here who really like that Vader, I won't be one to tell them how wrong it is day in and day out, unlike the handful of those who seem to do that one this forum when it comes to the 1/4 Vader.

fat hobbitsss said:
I'm sure that in the future someone will offer the true accurate ANH Vader scaled repro. While that people may buy the Vader PF for a really well done Lucasfilm version of ANH Vader, after all its each one money to spent on what they want. On my side I will not keep this one and will wait for a more movie accurate depiction.

And, if it happens, I will buy it. For now, though, the SS 1/4 Vader is the best out there. :)

Gruson said:
Mini, you have to admit it's more accurate that Sideshow's helmet. Just look at it!

The one on the statue? No, I don't. Unfortunately, I haven't seen pics of the other one. Still waiting. But, the good thing is that now I know how awesome the SS 1/4 Vader truly is when its only comparison is to a full size 1:1 replica. That is a profound statement and the amazing people over at SS who had a hand in creating the 1/4 Vader should be praised.

jlcmsu said:
I've never really understood all the fuss about the helm it looks accurate to me.

And the other 4500 people who are getting this as well. Can't imagine anyone who wasn't truly happy with this piece still getting it.

jlcmsu said:
Well, for me I decided to go ahead and purchase the Vader. Besides some of maybe the small silver details on the 1/4 scale helmet. It looks like they did a bang up job on it. I've never really understood all the fuss about the helm it looks accurate to me.

Yup, looks like a awesome figure. I don't think anyone is going to walk up to it, point and ask you "who is this?"

That's Darth Vader.

"Are you sure? I don't remember Darth Vader looking like this"

Silver or non-silver tusks and gun-metal grey cheeks don't mean anything. I actually like how Sideshow made the entire mask black, as that is how he would look like if he existed in real life. But proportions are extremely, EXTREMELY important when it comes to a face like Vader's.

Hey Mini-Rock - You must have missed the part where Sideshow Andy confirmed that it went through MANY different revisions since the original scan was done. The result is obviously still Vader, but it's a highly modified version which more closely resembles the symmetrical ROTS helmet, certainly NOT the ANH. If you can't see that then there's really no point sending you any pics of my ANH helmet.
Don't get me started on the incorrect details on the chestbox, belt buckle and belt boxes either.
Sure, it's a nice statue but it's certainly not ANH. If you want to see an ANH statue that resembles what it's supposed to, I suggest you do a search for photos of the Marmit 1/6 Vader prototype which is sadly, far more accurate than this 1/4 version.

Chris

Back