Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

Mini-Rock said:
Artist's are always most critical of their own work than anyone else. This Han statue is still, by far, the best "Han" likeness released, and you should at least feel good about that. And, while I'd like for you to have your second shot at sculpting this character, I honestly cannot think of another version of Han I'd like to see made. There are just too many other character's I'd like to see before another Han. Maybe you'll get to do an Indy at some point. :)

Well I'm sure he'll get the shot at the 1/6th Han and the Indiana Jones figures once Sideshow secures them :joy

These are my two favorite Hans:

Stormtrooper Han:
han41.jpg

ESB Han
han06.jpg

Computer modeling would seem to really benefit the sculpting of the helmeted characters. I know that when Sideshow releases a 1/6th scale Vader, I want the helmet sculpt to be perfect. Not good, but perfect. WHile I think the 1/4th scale sculpt is alright, I think they have alot of room to improve with Vader. If computer modeling, or scanning or whatever can get them to that point then I say use it.

Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

I would expect that the more expensive and larger 1/4 scale figure would be the "perfect" version, and the 1/6 scale figure would be the one that was "alright." My expectations are higher for a 1/4 scale figure because of the price and greater possibility for accuracy because of the larger size. If a 1/6 scale looked better than 1/4 scale I would be upset that I paid the big bucks--I want the PF to be the perfect, authoritative, museum quality version of the character.

I think people tend to over-sing the praises of 3D scanning for use in collectibles

Gentle Giant:
obiWan.jpg
OBIWAN.JPG

vs.

Sideshow:
Obi-Wan-1.jpg
kenobi8mz.jpg

Point: Humans

Great job Andy :clap

Very nice pic of Charlton!!!!! :naughty

Why should the 1/6 line just be "alright"? I think Sideshow should do their best work with every figure they make, no matter what the scale.

JustinLuck said:
Why should the 1/6 line just be "alright"? I think Sideshow should do their best work with every figure they make, no matter what the scale.

I don't think they "should" be alright, but they probably will be when compared to their higher-end offerings. There is no doubt in my mind that their 12" SW line will be far superior to anything that Hasbro has done for their SW 12" line.

The situation I have is, I'm willing to pay for quality, but I also highly value articulation. Infact, articulation is as important to me as any other feature. I want to be able to pose my figures to my liking. And then change their poses from time to time if I get bored of a particular stance. :) So, no matter how good a PF looks, I will still opt for the 1/6 line, not because of price, but because of articulation. So of course, you can imagine, I have a bias for wanting the 1/6 line to be stunning and wouldn't mind paying extra to gain the extra quality and detail.

If I could have things my way, there would be one line, one scale, with all the artistic and engineering resources thrown into it to make the figures look outstanding while at the same time, maintaining superior articulation.

Anyone else avoid the PF line not necessarily because of cost, but because of the lack of articulation?

I'm sure that is precisely why SS offers both the PF and 12" lines. The PF line for those who want a museum quality statue, and the 12" line for those who want to pose their figure's. :)

tomandshell said:
I would expect that the more expensive and larger 1/4 scale figure would be the "perfect" version, and the 1/6 scale figure would be the one that was "alright." My expectations are higher for a 1/4 scale figure because of the price and greater possibility for accuracy because of the larger size. If a 1/6 scale looked better than 1/4 scale I would be upset that I paid the big bucks--I want the PF to be the perfect, authoritative, museum quality version of the character.

I understand why it makes sense that a larger scale and more expensive price theoretically should mean a more authentic figure however that just may not be the reality of the situation. You say that you want the PF to be the most authoritative, perfect version of the character which is great except for the fact that they aren't.

The PF Vader has serious problems with the helmet when comparing it to the movie. Sure, it looks nice but looking nice doesn't make it any more accurate. If you compare pics of the PF with screen grabs from the movie, they just don't match up. You may say that it is close enough but I say that it looks so different that it doesn't really capture Vader's personality. I have the Medicom Darth Vader 1/6th scale figure and I can safely say that the scuplt looks worlds better than the 1/4th figure if pics of the Sideshow figure are any indication. I fully expect Sideshow to match and even exceed Medicom's version when doing their own 1/6th Vader. Any less would be seriously disappointing.

Let us look at another of the PF figures: Han Solo. Considering that he has already studied Harrision Ford's face so extensively, I imagine that Andy will be tapped to sculpt the 1/6th scale Han. I think it is safe to assume that Andy will be able to use his experience and knowledge to sculpt an even better likeness of Han than what he has done before. Maybe the clothing will not have as nice of fit but I can almost guarantee you that the sculpt will look better (and yes, the PF sculpt does look pretty good already).

The PF line is great. I bet that it will continue to improve which each new offering. However, the examples I mentioned are far from perfect and it isn't a stretch to believe that Sideshow will be able to create a more authentic version of these characters in the 1/6th scale.

I don't think Sideshow will slack off on the 1/6 SW line because it is the most important line they have right now. They are getting hundreds, if not thousands of new customers who are Star Wars fans but had never heard of Sideshow until now. So Sideshow's reputation and future market growth depends on the quality and appeal of their 1/6 SW figures.

The PFs are more expensive because they are larger, and the clothes are tailored for the specific body and pose rather than for a generic all-purpose body as with the 1/6. But I'm sure SSC will do everything they can deliver the highest possible quality in both formats.

Well said Dave. These will no doubt be the best 12" SW figures made to date. This is something that many many Hasbro 12" SW collector's have been whishing would happen for a long time. My kids will no doubt have much fun playing with theirs, and I may even pick up a couple for myself. :)

But I'm sure SSC will do everything they can deliver the highest possible quality in both formats.

I know they will do the very best job they can, and with both lines. It just seems to me that the larger format would allow for a higher "highest quality" as far as accuracy is concerned. Sideshow has already said that this was one of the reasons they began the Premium Format line of figures, as you can read here...

LINK: Sideshow Premium Format Introduction

Check this out:
The Premium Format allows our artists to take their work well beyond normal production method limitations. The choices of fabrics are endless, and the larger canvas of the sculpture makes possible subtleties in paint schemes and intricate hair work that would be impossible in 1:6 scale.
It seems like they want the 1/4 scale figures to be the ultimate versions, just like I do. It's a shame that we are saying, as with Vader, "The Premium Formats are OK... but just wait until the 12" versions come out!" I would like it to be the other way around.

tomandshell said:
"The Premium Formats are OK... but just wait until the 12" versions come out!" I would like it to be the other way around.

Yeah, that is what the kids have been saying. They'd rather have a 12" SW figure they can play with than a PF museum quality statue sitting collecting dust on their shelves. :)

Sideshow Andy said:
For example, you can achieve perfect symmetry on your portrait in the computer, which is nearly impossible to achieve by hand.

Which method will be used to design armor? Particularly helmets? Many helmets and masks have symmetrical curves and straight edges. Other things that need to be perfectly round are things like R2's cylindrical body and domed head (just for example). Are these types of objects molded by machine or by hand?

Those are good questions Justin. Usually, for objects like helmets, armor, weaponry, or mechanical/robotic objects like you mentioned, parts are fabricated and even machined rather than sculpted with 'traditional' methods like portraits are. Carving or fabricating objects like armor is a completely different animal than portrait sculpting, and there are a lot of techniques that allow symmetry to be easily achieved. Sometimes scans of the original props may even be used (as was the case with the PF Vader helmet, which makes much of the argument over it's proportions somewhat amusing).

here are some scans gentle giant did for hasbro. i think they are awesome.(i found these at rebelscum)

realscan1.jpg

realscan5.jpg

realscan3.jpg

realscan6.jpg

realscan4.jpg

realscan2.jpg

Back