Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

I think fat was refering to himself Josh. ;)

Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

jlcmsu - I think you're missing the point.

I'm not saying that it's not a great statue . I think it IS a great statue and there's no doubt that it's the best mixed-media version of Vader that's been made available for more than a selected few to own. All I'm saying is that it could have been better. I don't expect everyone to share the same critical view as I have for this particular piece - it's just that I've spent so many years studyng every part of this costume in detail during my quest for a movie accurate, lifesize display that the faults with the Sideshow version are probably more apparent to my eyes.

Chris

cking said:

I'm not saying that it's not a great statue . I think it IS a great statue and there's no doubt that it's the best mixed-media version of Vader that's been made available for more than a selected few to own. All I'm saying is that it could have been better. I don't expect everyone to share the same critical view as I have for this particular piece - it's just that I've spent so many years studyng every part of this costume in detail during my quest for a movie accurate, lifesize display that the faults with the Sideshow version are probably more apparent to my eyes.

Chris

I don't agree, but well said Chris. I can respect that over the cheap blows that have been previously posted. :)

Luis

cking said:

Chris

Chris, thank you for your analysis in this thread. I agree with the others that your collection is excellent. In fact, I made a similar post to yours several weeks ago:

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=86212&postcount=93

jlcmsu said:
Well, sorry you can't help me. I think that Marmit one kind of looks like a cheap toy. It looks in no way more accurate or detailed than the SS version at the very least.

I would rather own the SS version than the Marmit one as well, mainly because of the statue vs. toy factor. I also like the size of the SS piece.

I think Chris was referring to the accuracy of the Marmit helmet sculpt vs. the SS helmet sculpt, which is an opinion I happen to share.

Well as Andy said, they had to resubmit and submit and submit to Lucas for final aproval. It is possible that SS Vader looked JUST like the screengrabs, but what we see in the protopics is what Lucas wanted out there.

EVILFACE said:
Well as Andy said, they had to resubmit and submit and submit to Lucas for final aproval. It is possible that SS Vader looked JUST like the screengrabs, but what we see in the protopics is what Lucas wanted out there.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be suprised by that at all. Lucas has changed many products to his liking. See the original MR AT-AT, MR Y-Wing, Attakus Vader II, and the never-allowed-to-be-released Attakus Scout & Speederbike as examples of that.

No matter what you think of the sculpt, I think most would agree that the helmet is closer to ROTS than ANH.

anewhope58bh.jpg

122205_dvnocape.jpg

anewhope36du.jpg

7117_press04-001.jpg

About two and a half weeks to go! :D

cking said:
All I'm saying is that it could have been better.

Well, that could be said of anything in life.

elwood49 said:
I think Chris was referring to the accuracy of the Marmit helmet sculpt vs. the SS helmet sculpt, which is an opinion I happen to share.

I don't see where it's better but hey to each his own. It's all good.

elwood49 said:
No matter what you think of the sculpt, I think most would agree that the helmet is closer to ROTS than ANH.

Maybe I'm just not that hardcore on SW but I never really noticed much of a change in Vaders helmet.

I never paid that close attention to this really. Can someone please explain to me that is hard core Star Wars, in your opinion, does the Sideshow Vader look like Vader in any of the original trilogy? If so, which version of Vader does it look like?

Since I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, Vader looks fine to me and I'm happy to have it in my collection but I would still like to know which Vader from the original trilogy it most resembles. Thanks!

Fritz said:
I never paid that close attention to this really. Can someone please explain to me that is hard core Star Wars, in your opinion, does the Sideshow Vader look like Vader in any of the original trilogy? If so, which version of Vader does it look like?

Since I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, Vader looks fine to me and I'm happy to have it in my collection but I would still like to know which Vader from the original trilogy it most resembles. Thanks!

Here ya go:

anewhope58bh.jpg

122205_dvnocape.jpg

anewhope36du.jpg

7117_press04-001.jpg

:)

Are you trying to build a case AGAINST Vader? You're doing a good job of that.

Collector Freak said:
Are you trying to build a case AGAINST Vader? You're doing a good job of that.

Yeah, no kidding. Especially with that first pic. Both the dome and the mouthpiece look very different than the Vader in that screengrab. I am very picky about Vader's helmet and even the Marmit one has problems. The Sideshow one has far too many of them and I think that for me at oleast, it really hurts the look of the statue.

Various people have said that it looks more like the ROTS helmet and I would have to disagree. I don't have any pics on hand but I think the ROTS looks very different.

Basically, this Vader helmet doesn't resemble ANY of the various helmet designs.

Back