Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

cking said:
Hey Mini-Rock - You must have missed the part where Sideshow Andy confirmed that it went through MANY different revisions since the original scan was done. The result is obviously still Vader, but it's a highly modified version which more closely resembles the symmetrical ROTS helmet, certainly NOT the ANH. If you can't see that then there's really no point sending you any pics of my ANH helmet.
Don't get me started on the incorrect details on the chestbox, belt buckle and belt boxes either.
Sure, it's a nice statue but it's certainly not ANH. If you want to see an ANH statue that resembles what it's supposed to, I suggest you do a search for photos of the Marmit 1/6 Vader prototype which is sadly, far more accurate than this 1/4 version.

Chris

Ah yes, the reference to the never released Marmit Vader. Yeah, already seen it.

As for sending me pics, I'd really like to see the helmet. Not affraid of a little criticism are you? ;)

And, finally, yes, I caught where Andy said that the helmet went through may modifications as anything should when striving for perfection. Having seen the photo's online and on the SS site, plus the DVD with the rotation of Vader that was kindly sent by SS, it's easy to see that the modifications paid off.

EVILFACE: Isn't that the truth. LOL!

Feb can't come soon enough. :D

Re: Could the likeness of an actor be better achieved through computer modeling first?

Personally I could care less if the helmet is 100% accurate to the ANH version, as long as it looks cool. I think they've accomplished that.

However I can easily see Lucasfilm requiring tweaking of the helmet to bring it more in line with what THEY consider the definitive Vader - the one from ROTS. After all, Lucas(film) has a tendency to fix what ain't broke...

Mini-Rock said:
Ah yes, the reference to the never released Marmit Vader. Yeah, already seen it.

As for sending me pics, I'd really like to see the helmet. Not afraid of a little criticism are you? ;)

And, finally, yes, I caught where Andy said that the helmet went through may modifications as anything should when striving for perfection. Having seen the photo's online and on the SS site, plus the DVD with the rotation of Vader that was kindly sent by SS, it's easy to see that the modifications paid off.

EVILFACE: Isn't that the truth. LOL!

Feb can't come soon enough. :D

A little criticism LOL A little criticism of what? Of a perfect cast of a original Vader helmet? LOL I still think think you haven't understood yet.

Chris owns a cast from a real ANH Vader helm Would you explain what could be criticised? LOL

Andy never said they modified the helm looking for perfection but
that the piece was tweaked over and over and over (and over again) until it met Lucasfilm's specifications
Lucasfilm specifications are not the same things as accuracy and perfection, that is plain clear.

Maybe Lucasfilm took the plug out of Marmit because they were too movie accurate LOL

Mini-Rock,

Why the sarcasm? Sure, the Marmit version wasn't produced but they DID get as far as prototyping it and you're kidding yourself if you think that the PF 1/4 scale statue is better than the 1/6 Marmit version.

I'm not telling people to cancel their orders and if you're happy with the statue then great. I'm happy for you.

For me, it's a huge disappointment that it ended up looking like this so I chose to cancel my order. It could have and SHOULD have been a lot more accurate.

Chris

fat hobbitss said:
A little criticism LOL A little criticism of what? Of a perfect cast of a original Vader helmet? LOL I still think think you haven't understood yet.

Oh, I "think think" I have. ;)

fat hobbitss said:
Chris owns a cast from a real ANH Vader helm Would you explain what could be criticised? LOL

Won't know until I'm sent the pic. Right now it'd be pure speculation.

fat hobitss said:
Lucasfilm specifications are not the same things as accuracy and perfection, that is plain clear.

So a small handful of people think. Luckily, there are those of us who know, with confidence, that we are getting the best version of this character made to date thanks to those specifications.

fat hobitss said:
Maybe Lucasfilm took the plug out of Marmit because they were too movie accurate LOL

Pure conjecture, and I'll leave that to the rabid conspiracy theorists. ;)

cking said:
Mini-Rock,

Why the sarcasm? Sure, the Marmit version wasn't produced but they DID get as far as prototyping it and you're kidding yourself if you think that the PF 1/4 scale statue is better than the 1/6 Marmit version.

I'm not telling people to cancel their orders and if you're happy with the statue then great. I'm happy for you.

For me, it's a huge disappointment that it ended up looking like this so I chose to cancel my order. It could have and SHOULD have been a lot more accurate.

Chris

Well said Chris, my thoughts exactly.

Now, I plan on keeping my Sideshow Vader until a better one comes out or I get a "new" 1/4 helmet for him.

Mini-Rock,

Check your email. If you still think the PF Vader is a perfect replica of the ANH Vader after you've looked at the pics I've sent to you, I guess there's no point continuing the discussion and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Chris

cking said:
you're kidding yourself if you think that the PF 1/4 scale statue is better than the 1/6 Marmit version.

And, you are in flat out denial if you think that the Lee Press-on 1/6 Marmit snap together action figure is better than the SS 1/4 Vader.

cking said:

That's great! I'm happy for me and the other's who are finally getting a 1/4 definitive Vader statue too. :D

Luis

Gruson said:
Now, I plan on keeping my Sideshow Vader until a better one comes out

Like I've been saying all along, "Best Vader statue made to date!" :D

Mini-Rock said:
Artist's are always most critical of their own work than anyone else. This Han statue is still, by far, the best "Han" likeness released, and you should at least feel good about that. And, while I'd like for you to have your second shot at sculpting this character, I honestly cannot think of another version of Han I'd like to see made. There are just too many other character's I'd like to see before another Han. Maybe you'll get to do an Indy at some point. :)

This was probably already said, but I haven't read that many posts. So, maybe Andy was refering to the 12" line in revisiting the character or perhaps Indy. My bet is he was directing it toward the 12" line though.

Also, I believe Gentle Giant has said they use scans and sculpting. They also do a great job on human characters overall.

If you think that the 1/4 PF Vader is superior to the 1/6 Marmit, I can't help you. The only thing better about the 1/4 PF Vader is the height of it.

Chris

cking said:
Mini-Rock,

Check your email. If you still think the PF Vader is a perfect replica of the ANH Vader after you've looked at the pics I've sent to you, I guess there's no point continuing the discussion and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Chris

Did you send it to my email? Still haven't received it.

Yes, I sent it to the email you suggested.

Chris

Mini-Rock said:
Like I've been saying all along, "Best Vader statue made to date!" :D

Well, I find the Attakus 1 statue better but I only collect 1/4 or 1/3 scale pieces so it would not fit with my collection. Of course Marmit is also a much more "screen accurate" figure as well.

Chris, still haven't received it. I'll keep a look out for it though. :)

Gru, don't fool yourself man. If the Attakus Vader 1 were the best, it'd be in your amazing collection.

After seeing pics of the Marmit Vader, again, I can see why LFL pulled the plug on it.

No doubt, this was a much much better decision:

anewhope58bh.jpg

122205_dvnocape.jpg

Perfect representation of my favorite movie badass!

cking said:
If you think that the 1/4 PF Vader is superior to the 1/6 Marmit, I can't help you. The only thing better about the 1/4 PF Vader is the height of it.

Well, sorry you can't help me. I think that Marmit one kind of looks like a cheap toy. It looks in no way more accurate or detailed than the SS version at the very least.

As I said earlier I'm no SW expert but looking at all these film cells of the fight between Vader and Obi-Wan. He looks about as accurate as you can get. To me personally its the best looking Vader piece I've seen but that's just me. For those that don't hey that's cool but I'm just not sure anyone will come out with a better Vader.

122205_dvnocape.jpg

I'm sure I'll like the SS Vader, but something about that pic is making me ask myself....does candy pop out of his neck if you push his head back? :horror

Maybe we'll get PEZ!

The only thing that looks odd to me is that your left(Vader's right) tusk either needs to be a darker silver or plain black according to the screen grabs of the duel.

Chris,

Would you please check your pm box.

And you know that phrase from the Bible, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than to make some people see what they dont want to" :google

Cheers to all

Back