Comic books are officially just a PC tool.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets do it. Obviously, KitFisto, and it seems you as well are against change in comic books. Keeping the status quo as it were, not conforming to the "agenda", as he put it.

:lol Let's bring reparations, slave trade, and lynching into the conversation to make your point as well. Why stop at colored schools?

Well if you'd actually read the follow up to the "buzzworthy" issue, you'd see that it was part of a larger storyline that has been running for a while now. I do agree that most of the stories are repetitive and not worth the 2.99/3.99 price though.

Marvel is just telling crappy ass stories over the last few years for the most part. They'll do anything to sell books. This is all being done to create controversy and buzz so they can generate sales. Here's a novel idea...why not put out quality books that are worth reading? That might actually help their sales long term. I'm done with Marvel books. When they turned Cap into a Nazi in his own book, that was it for me. Marvel spit on Cap's creators and everything the character has stood for over the decades for nothing more than a sales gimmick. That was enough for me.

Lets do it. Obviously, KitFisto, and it seems you as well are against change in comic books. Keeping the status quo as it were, not conforming to the "agenda", as he put it.

I'm for honoring the long history and continuity of these characters that span back decades in time. If Marvel wants diverse or PC characters in their books...they can feel free to create as many as they want. There's no need to crap on a characters existing continuity to do that.

I'm for honoring the long history and continuity of these characters that span back decades in time. If Marvel wants diverse or PC characters in their books...they can feel free to create as many as they want. There's no need to crap on a characters existing continuity to do that.

A) It's not automatically crap
B) What existing continuity? This woman isn't Tony Stark.

Well if you'd actually read the follow up to the "buzzworthy" issue, you'd see that it was part of a larger storyline that has been running for a while now. I do agree that most of the stories are repetitive and not worth the 2.99/3.99 price though.

:lol Marvel is just simply back tracking because of the tremendous backlash they received for making Cap a Nazi. Parts of issue 2 had to be redone on the fly just to undo the PR damage Marvel did. The issue 2 that hit the newsstands wasn't the comic Marvel intended to release. They were going to continue the original story line but it became a PR nightmare for them.

Marvel is just telling crappy ass stories over the last few years for the most part. They'll do anything to sell books. This is all being done to create controversy and buzz so they can generate sales. Here's a novel idea...why not put out quality books that are worth reading? That might actually help their sales long term. I'm done with Marvel books. When they turned Cap into a Nazi in his own book, that was it for me. Marvel spit on Cap's creators and everything the character has stood for over the decades for nothing more than a sales gimmick. That was enough for me.

In that case it's more a business decision than a political one, although some vocal fans (esp. the racist or sexist fringe) are trying to turn it into a PC discussion and the end of the comic industry. It isn't. These companies are now multi-billion dollar businesses and the comics are a "business line", which is why changes don't cross into other mediums like movies and merchandising. The movie. licensing and merchandising business lines now dwarf the comic book line in terms of revenue even though the comics are at the heart of everything, they are only read or followed by a small percentage of the customer base. The comic book business line need to come up with ways to inject interest and try to attract new readers. They do so through things like "event books", "gimmicks" and reboots such as the New 52. Those things always run their courses and then things always go back. Some longtime readers might drop a female driven Iron Man while others might enjoy the run, and maybe some new readers will check it out along with other Marvel titles. That's the gamble publishers take, but it's both a calculated and a temporary one. So don't get your knickers in a knot. As sure as the sun will rise, Steve Rogers will be Captain America super patriotic, WWII super soldier in the comics again (he'd better be), Thor Odinson will be Thor, Logan will be Wolverine, Tony Stark will be Iron Man. It's the core readers who panic and then somehow feel vindicated when things return, but that was the plan all along.

Not exactly certain the point of the smiley. These are atrocious historical events that caused untold suffering and cost the lives of millions. I'm sure if your ancestors or loved ones were enslaved, lynched or made to attend poor schools it wouldn't be cause for laughter. These are fictional, fantasy comic books for crying out loud.

My point is simple. I'm laughing at DWill because he included segregation to make a point about comics. Why stop there? Segregation also caused untold suffering and cost many lives. How does that pertain to discussing fictional fantasy comic books for crying out loud. To be clear, the :lol was aimed at the person who made the post, not at the events I posted in my response.

I hear there's a ton of liberal propaganda in Marvel comics now too.

Who cares, just don't read or follow the damn things. Modern comics are gimmicky garbage anyway.

In that case it's more a business decision than a political one, although some vocal fans (esp. the racist or sexist fringe) are trying to turn it into a PC discussion and the end of the comic industry. It isn't. These companies are now multi-billion dollar businesses and the comics are a "business line", which is why changes don't cross into other mediums like movies and merchandising. The movie. licensing and merchandising business lines now dwarf the comic book line in terms of revenue even though the comics are at the heart of everything, they are only read or followed by a small percentage of the customer base. The comic book business line need to come up with ways to inject interest and try to attract new readers. They do so through things like "event books", "gimmicks" and reboots such as the New 52. Those things always run their courses and then things always go back. Some longtime readers might drop a female driven Iron Man while others might enjoy the run, and maybe some new readers will check it out along with other Marvel titles. That's the gamble publishers take, but it's both a calculated and a temporary one. So don't get your knickers in a knot. As sure as the sun will rise, Steve Rogers will be Captain America super patriotic, WWII super soldier in the comics again (he'd better be), Thor Odinson will be Thor, Logan will be Wolverine, Tony Stark will be Iron Man. It's the core readers who panic and then somehow feel vindicated when things return, but that was the plan all along.

You are pretty much on point. Gimmicks and controversy are being used to spur sales. Look at all the talk that was generated when Marvel turned Cap into a Nazi. All that free pub was a boon for Marvel. However, they couldn't backtrack fast enough when the public backlash happened. To the point they rewrote and redrew parts of issue 2 very quickly to change the existing story line. Call me old or set in my ways, but I miss good storytelling. Miller's DD, Claremont/Byrne X-MEN, Wolfman/Perez Titans, Byrne FF, David or Pak Hulk, Michelinie/Romita JR/Layton Iron Man, Stern/Waid/Brubaker Cap...the list goes on and on. Those runs had great stories and great art. Personally speaking, I'm just reading crap when today's stories are compared to those legendary runs.

My point is simple. I'm laughing at DWill because he included segregation to make a point about comics. Why stop there? Segregation also caused untold suffering and cost many lives. How does that pertain to discussing fictional fantasy comic books for crying out loud. To be clear, the :lol was aimed at the person who made the post, not at the events I posted in my response.

Past history and how people see themselves represented (even in comic books) matters.
So it would be appropriate for people to see themselves reflected positively (even in comic books) when for so long many persons have been misrepresented (if at all), even in comic books. These characters don't belong to anyone and will always evolve to stay current, or die off.

Read post #55. It was explained.

Positive representation for young people to see was the point, not slavery, reparations or lynching.

I'll wait to see what they do with the character. Hope she won't turn out to be some know it all, Mary Sue. I agree with what other have said about replacing existing character just for the sake of diversity. That just seems to be intellectually lazy to me, and also a slap in the face to long time fans of those characters. Rather then replacing characters. let's see NEW original characters introduced, and have them join the hero's we all grown to love over the year. Finally if Riri Williams is going to be taking up the Iron- Man mantel. She is definitely going to need a bigger helmet. :wink1:

tumblr_inline_o9wl47qK1C1td0hds_540.jpg

Past history and how people see themselves represented (even in comic books) matters.
So it would be appropriate for people to see themselves reflected positively (even in comic books) when for so long many persons have been misrepresented (if at all), even in comic books. These characters don't belong to anyone and will always evolve to stay current, or die off.

Positive representation for young people to see was the point, not slavery, reparations or lynching.

No, segregation was his point and it was being aimed at the person who started this thread to paint him in a negative light and also to defend his stance. I found that funny. Sorry we don't share the same sense of humor.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what DC does to match, because neither Marvel nor DC can do anything without the other company following suit. We'll probably get transgendered Batman with aspergers and Syrian refugee Robin.

Can't wait to see what DC does to match, because neither Marvel nor DC can do anything without the other company following suit. We'll probably get transgendered Batman with aspergers and Syrian refugee Robin.

Gotta make Damian a transgender first. That'll really bump up sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back