Comic books are officially just a PC tool.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't think of them race changing any female roles in the films except Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) and potentially Mary Jane and Liz Allen (Zendaya and Laura Harrier) and all of those actresses are hot.

Who are the ugly people you're speaking of? :lol

Marvel is writing poorly. Their stories suck. Their prices suck. I do like that they are diversifying but not a fan when they change existing characters for appeal. Be original and create new characters (gwenpool).

I think most casual people don't think it's big deal and even say things like "go read old comics" or "you're just old school." These are the people who don't read comics and just watch movies.

Marvel is missing opportunities with diversifying by writing crap stories.

IDW and Image have the best stories out there right now

I'd disagree that they are a dying medium. There are sites like comixology that have them digitally now. The printed versions may dwindle but comic books are here to stay... much like sports radio and sports.

You make good points crows. They are the big market outside the us. They also have racist ideologies as well. Will be interesting if they embrace Pacific rim 2. I know i will

I totally agree with you guys. But it's not just in comics. In movies too! They want to make James Bond black, Moneypenny black, turned Perry White, Jimmy Olse or Nick Fury black too. I mean, I'm not a racist at all. But let's change the perspective. Could you imagine, for a single minute, Blade being white? I couldn't! Their color is part of the characters DNA.

It's way more than this. People complain about Hollywood whitewashing because of three instances:
Emma Stone as a half Japanese woman in Aloha.
Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One in Dr. Strange and
Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell.
Yet how many times has a white character been replaced by a black actor with little or no fanfare.
Michael Clarke Duncan as Wilson Fisk in Daredevil.
Cedric the Entertainer as Ralph Kramden in The Honeymooners
Laurence Fishburne as Perry White in Man of Steel
Mehcad Brooks as Jimmy Olsen in Supergirl
Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury in MCU
Mike Epps as Uncle Buck
Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm in The Fantastic Four (reboot)
Everyone in The Wiz
There are plenty more I can't think of right now. My point is it's okay to take away a white character, but you can't do the same with other ethnicities.
I'm fine with Idris Elba as a black James Bond on one condition, that they settle once and for all that James Bond is a singular person or a code name carried on by other agents. Like The Dread Pirate Roberts in Princess Bride. There is every indication right now that Bond is a cover/persona that can be filled with other agents like Q or M. However, in Die Another Day, when Q gives Bond his new watch, he makes a comment to the effect of, "This is the 17th watch I've given you. Do try to bring this one back." That comment alone indicates continuity.
Bottom line, for me, is, "Stop the politically correct crap. It's way out of hand!"
Ryan

If it didn't matter, they'd've left it alone.
Pretty much.
I'm sure in 10 years we'll have a good laugh at this PC crapfest of a period.

comics are a dying medium.
Like 2D 24fps cinema?

Who would of thought there would be White superhero guilt.
Part of the general white guilt and minority pressure.
Mostly just keepin' up with other media to increase sales, of course.

white-guilt.jpg

Diversity really doesnt bother me.

Diversity isn't the issue. The issue is taking already established mythos and changing is JUST to be PC. And I would think any reasonable person would look at what's happened over the last few years and see that's all this is......a PC move just to be PC. They could create whatever characters they want and allow the public to decide if they want to buy them, but no.....instead they are taking what millions of people already like and are intentionally changing it to a PC image to force it on you. If peop,e can't see that then they either are being intentionally blind or agree with the agenda.

Diversity isn't the issue. The issue is taking already established mythos and changing is JUST to be PC. And I would think any reasonable person would look at what's happened over the last few years and see that's all this is......a PC move just to be PC. They could create whatever characters they want and allow the public to decide if they want to buy them, but no.....instead they are taking what millions of people already like and are intentionally changing it to a PC image to force it on you. If peop,e can't see that then they either are being intentionally blind or agree with the agenda.

The world you thought was yours can sometimes look unrecognizable as you get older.
I may pickup a trade once in a while but I stopped collecting a long time ago.
What I remember the chracters to be to me will never change.

Sort of like, schools for instance. Let's have keep "school A white" , since it's already predominantly white and established and then go and create a "school b" for the minorities and be "PC" as you put it? Let's not evolve and change, lets just keep it the same because they would be "taking what millions of people already like and are intentionally changing it to a PC image to force it on you". Sort of like that you mean?

Sort of like, schools for instance. Let's have keep "school A white" , since it's already predominantly white and established and then go and create a "school b" for the minorities and be "PC" as you put it? Let's not evolve and change, lets just keep it the same because they would be "taking what millions of people already like and are intentionally changing it to a PC image to force it on you". Sort of like that you mean?

Oh I see, real life is the same as made up comic books. I get it now......how ridiculous.

Not as ridiculous as your initial statement.

oh and, "what agenda"??

"If people can't see that then they either are being intentionally blind or agree with the agenda."

Oh I see, real life is the same as made up comic books. I get it now......how ridiculous.

:lol Let's bring reparations, slave trade, and lynching into the conversation to make your point as well. Why stop at colored schools?

I had to actually do a little research on this. You do realize that they are just having a completely different character take on the mantle of a superhero--no doubt temporarily? Marvel is not saying that Tony Stark is now a 15-year-old black girl. They are not going to replace Robert Downey, Jr. with Willow Smith in the next movie. From what I briefly read this is a teenage genius from MIT who figured out how to build her own suit of Iron Man-like armor. Not unlike how Stark first cobbled his together but under much more dire circumstances. It actually sounds like a pretty cool little backstory and better than Tony Stark becoming a teenager. So maybe she will wear an Iron Man suit for a year or so until the character catches hold (or not) and she eventually takes on a different suit design and moniker. I haven't read comics in decades, but it seems to me that Marvel is not trying to retcon their flagship characters or wipe them out of existence. They are letting some diverse new characters step in to the mantle of some heavy hitters for a bit to shake things up, tell some different stories, and attract new readers. So I don't see the need to feel threatened.
Tony Stark is Iron Man--a Caucasian, male billionaire, philanthropist playboy
Steve Rogers is Captain America -- a Caucasian, male WWII super soldier
Thor Odinson is Thor -- a male Norse god/alien with white skin and blonde hair
Peter Parker is Spiderman -- a male Caucasian teenager who was bitten by a radioactive spider
Logan is Wolverine -- a male Caucasian Canadian mutant
Clark Kent/Kal El is Superman -- an alien (Kryptonian) with Caucasian skin and features

Yes sometimes things might seem a little too PC--especially to those who have never had to be on the short end--but its a damned site better than how many people have been treated for decades. If you don't think so, imagine what it's like to read comics or watch movies and not seeing people like you represented as a hero.

But there are certainly things that I personally am not crazy about-- I don't know how many Green Lanterns there have to be from Earth; Sam Wilson is Falcon; I prefer Carol Danvers as Ms Marvel and Mar Vell as Captain Marvel; I hated the idea of Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm but thought he was great as Adonis Creed; I would only buy Idris Elba as 007 is Bond is a code name (but I kind of don't like the idea of Bond being a code name even though it makes sense); hated the idea of GLAAD petitioning for Cap to be gay (but have zero problem with gay (Northstar) or lesbian (Batwoman) heroes); Don't know why Medcad Brooks had to be named Jimmy "James" Olsen, any other name would have been fine (of course I also don't know why Jimmy Olsen in BvS had to be a CIA operative).

:lol Let's bring reparations, slave trade, and lynching into the conversation to make your point as well. Why stop at colored schools?
Not exactly certain the point of the smiley. These are atrocious historical events that caused untold suffering and cost the lives of millions. I'm sure if your ancestors or loved ones were enslaved, lynched or made to attend poor schools it wouldn't be cause for laughter. These are fictional, fantasy comic books for crying out loud.

Last edited:
I'm guessing this is less about replacing Tony Stark but rather establishing a "Batman Family" or "Superman Family" dynamic to a key Marvel hero.

Not as ridiculous as your initial statement.

oh and, "what agenda"??

"If people can't see that then they either are being intentionally blind or agree with the agenda."

The agenda you clearly agree with.

I had to actually do a little research on this. You do realize that they are just having a completely different character take on the mantle of a superhero--no doubt temporarily? Marvel is not saying that Tony Stark is now a 15-year-old black girl. They are not going to replace Robert Downey, Jr. with Willow Smith in the next movie. From what I briefly read this is a teenage genius from MIT who figured out how to build her own suit of Iron Man-like armor. Not unlike how Stark first cobbled his together but under much more dire circumstances. It actually sounds like a pretty cool little backstory and better than Tony Stark becoming a teenager. So maybe she will wear an Iron Man suit for a year or so until the character catches hold (or not) and she eventually takes on a different suit design and moniker. I haven't read comics in decades, but it seems to me that Marvel is not trying to retcon their flagship characters or wipe them out of existence. They are letting some diverse new characters step in to the mantle of some heavy hitters for a bit to shake things up, tell some different stories, and attract new readers. So I don't see the need to feel threatened.
Tony Stark is Iron Man--a Caucasian, male billionaire, philanthropist playboy
Steve Rogers is Captain America -- a Caucasian, male WWII super soldier
Thor Odinson is Thor -- a male Norse god/alien with white skin and blonde hair
Peter Parker is Spiderman -- a male Caucasian teenager who was bitten by a radioactive spider
Logan is Wolverine -- a male Caucasian Canadian mutant
Clark Kent/Kal El is Superman -- an alien (Kryptonian) with Caucasian skin and features

Yes sometimes things might seem a little too PC--especially to those who have never had to be on the short end--but its a damned site better than
how many people have been treated for decades. If you don't think so, imagine what it's like to read comics or watch movies and not seeing people like you represented as a hero.

But there are certainly things that I personally am not crazy about-- I don't know how many Green Lanterns there have to be from Earth; Sam Wilson is Falcon; I prefer Carol Danvers as Ms Marvel and Mar Vell as Captain Marvel; I hated the idea of Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm but thought he was great as Adonis Creed; I would only buy Idris Elba as 007 is Bond is a code name (but I kind of don't like the idea of Bond being a code name even though it makes sense); hated the idea of GLAAD petitioning for Cap to be gay (but have zero problem with gay (Northstar) or lesbian (Batwoman) heroes); Don't know why Medcad Brooks had to be named Jimmy "James" Olsen, any other name would have been fine (of course I also don't know why Jimmy Olsen in BvS had to be a CIA operative).

Marvel is just telling crappy ass stories over the last few years for the most part. They'll do anything to sell books. This is all being done to create controversy and buzz so they can generate sales. Here's a novel idea...why not put out quality books that are worth reading? That might actually help their sales long term. I'm done with Marvel books. When they turned Cap into a Nazi in his own book, that was it for me. Marvel spit on Cap's creators and everything the character has stood for over the decades for nothing more than a sales gimmick. That was enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back