Comic books are officially just a PC tool.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one reads or buys comics anymore.
RG0BS1U.gif

of course all this stuff is dumb, gimmickry for the purpose of a quick, cheap boost in sales. But everything about comics nowadays is just that. Worse than the gender bending and racial alterations is the constant "EARTH SHATTERING MEGA EVENT" with 500 tie-ins, resulting in the DEATH OF A MAJOR CHARACTER! who is revived about 2 weeks later. That **** is the epitome of tiresome.

Nothing worth getting angry at. It's been going on for a good, long while now. I'll just read my old TPBs and let the youngsters who want this new junk pay $10 per comic to get their gimmick fix.

No actually, having a "status quo midset" was more my point and not wanting the comics to evolve and change, much like the mindsets of many people in the world (and forum) Which is what Kitfisto was spouting. It was simply put into terms that you might comprehend. Obviously not.

No, segregation was his point and it was being aimed at the person who started this thread to paint him in a negative light and also to defend his stance. I found that funny. Sorry we don't share the same sense of humor.

I don't know where this politically correct term started being used for stuff that's going on in the creative industries. When I was growing up, politicians had to be politically correct for things they would say regarding stuff like school grades. They couldn't say for example Asians were smarter or learned faster than others. So they would just say people learn at different rates. That was political correctness.

But what I think is that the people using the politically correct term today for stuff like this new girl that will wear an Iron Man type suit. Or the Miles Spider-Man, Jane Thor, Kamala Khan Ms Marvel, etc. are really hiding something else. And I'm sure I know what it is as they don't want minorities any where near the characters they grew up with. And no one is even erasing the classic characters. Minority characters are simply stepping in when the the main character is temporarily defeated or something.

Then they always use the argument, then create new characters. But I guess it is very difficult for those new characters to catch on if many minorities don't even for example read comics or watch sci-fi movies because they don't have a character to relate to. I remember one time meeting a black guy that didn't even know who Obi-Wan Kenobi was. It's easier for to do it this way. There are so few minority comic characters I can name and most were created specifically for minorities. Characters like Storm, Black Panther, and Blade. I think one of the only popular black comic characters that wasn't created specifically for minorities was Spawn. I remember people being surprised at that reveal when the comic came out.

Simply because I have read all the Bonds, and unless I can't read, I don't think Bond was described as a black man! Same for Blade. When he appeared in Tomb of Dracula, he was already a black man. I wouldn't want to see either of them changed. When their creator made them, they had a concept in mind, so why change it to make the character politically correct?

Bond wasn't described as a blond guy either. As soon as they said Roger Moore could be Bond then what the author intended was out the window. Fleming described Bond and his world in detail. The movies have done everything they can to modernize and keep the character going to the point where many of his original character traits are watered down or gone. Modern day Bond can be someone like an Idris Elba. It's not being politically correct to do so. It's simply modernizing the character.

I can't think of them race changing any female roles in the films except Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson) and potentially Mary Jane and Liz Allen (Zendaya and Laura Harrier) and all of those actresses are hot.

Who are the ugly people you're speaking of? :lol

Really? I grew up with the classic Spider-Man stories. Honestly they still haven't got them right.

It's way more than this. People complain about Hollywood whitewashing because of three instances:
Emma Stone as a half Japanese woman in Aloha.
Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One in Dr. Strange and
Scarlett Johansson as Motoko Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell.

I'm fine with Idris Elba as a black James Bond on one condition, that they settle once and for all that James Bond is a singular person or a code name carried on by other agents. Like The Dread Pirate Roberts in Princess Bride. There is every indication right now that Bond is a cover/persona that can be filled with other agents like Q or M. However, in Die Another Day, when Q gives Bond his new watch, he makes a comment to the effect of, "This is the 17th watch I've given you. Do try to bring this one back." That comment alone indicates continuity.
Bottom line, for me, is, "Stop the politically correct crap. It's way out of hand!"
Ryan

That's because in those three examples those characters were created for minorities. And there are so few roles, especially big ones, for minorities to begin with. People seem to get upset now when it's even just a small supporting role that goes to a minority. They all came out from who knows where when they made John Boyega a stormtrooper and put him on The Force Awakens poster.

And I don't know where the Bond as code name started. Yes they have played loose with continuity. But James Bond is the same guy in all the movies except the new Daniel Craig reboot. Even though they almost messed that up in Skyfall by giving him Connery's DB5. They had to fix that in Spectre with Q's line about returning the DB5. He was never just a passed on code name. That stupid line at the beginning of On Her Majesty's Secret Service should have been cut. Skyfall also had the grave scene just to say, yes his real name is Bond. Also the death of Bond's wife is recalled in the movies by all the actors before Daniel Craig. So no code name.

a little bit of social engineering cant hurt no one, they mean well, lets see where the road leads:)

Where was all the outrage when Amadeus Cho became the Hulk? That was an Asian character curing Banner and completely taking over the role of the Hulk. Stupid **** happens in comics all the time. It's not like this character is the reason for the poor quality of comic books now. Marvel comic books have been **** for awhile. No one here even knows what the overall plan for this new "Iron" character is though so I don't see the point in acting like this is such a big ****ing deal. At least let some of the story be told before losing your minds over it. If it's awful, don't read the new comic.

If its just a gimmick, with no well written purpose to back it up, then yeah, the change up is pretty pointless, but to me no moreso than say.... kill a main character or start over with FIRST ISSUE, just "because" ratings are failing and the companies can't get a good writer to save their hides. If the new character is well written and the story supports where its going and they are in for some development, then why not? Its not like having an African American don the Iron Man suit is anything new.

See post #39. The analogy was missed by filip, I'm sure you'll get it though.

What did I miss? You referred to segregation by dividing schools by color. Then you bring up forced change because of PC and claim KitFisto is like the millions who didn't want change because they like the way things were. Really? You're comfortable painting Kit in that light because he likes comic character to remain the way they were written for decades? I don't think I missed anything but feel free to correct me.

of course all this stuff is dumb, gimmickry for the purpose of a quick, cheap boost in sales. But everything about comics nowadays is just that. Worse than the gender bending and racial alterations is the constant "EARTH SHATTERING MEGA EVENT" with 500 tie-ins, resulting in the DEATH OF A MAJOR CHARACTER! who is revived about 2 weeks later. That **** is the epitome of tiresome.

Nothing worth getting angry at. It's been going on for a good, long while now. I'll just read my old TPBs and let the youngsters who want this new junk pay $10 per comic to get their gimmick fix.
8ae.gif

Like I said, I'm cool with some of the changes. But the captain America change was pathetic. Marvel is way overpriced and the stories are NOT good. I had a pull list of like 13-14 marvel titles as of a few years back. I now have one (daredevil). I would find it annoying if they made Cap gay just to get buys. If they are going to do something like that, they should make it meaningful and be serious about it.

DC, has really started something exciting with rebirth. I'm happy that they are telling decent stories now without too much clutter. Moreover, Image has some of the better stories coming out right now. Marvel is mostly crap. I hypothesize that if all of these character changes happened more spread out rather than in past few years, less people would be critical.

Everyone has valid points. But I do notice some members trying to twist words to fit a narrative. Let's all listen and hear each other.

I don't consider this diversity. To me, diversity means you're adding to something, not replacing one thing with a completely different thing.

You guys act like you own these characters, lol. Enjoy what was and let go of what might/could be.

You guys act like you own these characters, lol. Enjoy what was and let go of what might/could be.

No. I don't own these characters but I've been reading them for almost the last 40 years. I don't think it's a big deal to talk about how we feel about the changes being made to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back