Collection Stash: A Collection Cataloging and Collectible Archiving Platform

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Collection Stash: Open Beta

I am also going to be planning a giveaway at some point when we reach a specific member count. Not sure what that is yet though. :D

I am also going to be planning a giveaway at some point when we reach a specific member count. Not sure what that is yet though. :D

That would be cool!

I have an idea for something but I want to check with someone here at work on my idea before I say anything else. :D

Again, forgive me if this has been brought up but I haven't made it through all the pages of posts yet, but here are a couple of thoughts about contributing a new piece.

On the drop-down combo boxes, maybe add an entry like "Other" or "Unknown" or "N/A" so if a brand, license, product code or similar aren't known or in the database yet, the item could still be entered and then edited later. Maybe a notes text box for the person entering to add the missing license or info so that it could be added to the database without extra correspondence back and forth. Same for Category. Also, maybe add an * beside items that are required so that the person inputting information knows not to leave things blank... speaking of which, if some piece of info isn't known for certain fields, you can't contribute the item or you have to make up something to enter... is there any way to contribute anyway and edit in the missing info later?

Again, forgive me if this has been brought up but I haven't made it through all the pages of posts yet, but here are a couple of thoughts about contributing a new piece.

On the drop-down combo boxes, maybe add an entry like "Other" or "Unknown" or "N/A" so if a brand, license, product code or similar aren't known or in the database yet, the item could still be entered and then edited later. Maybe a notes text box for the person entering to add the missing license or info so that it could be added to the database without extra correspondence back and forth. Same for Category. Also, maybe add an * beside items that are required so that the person inputting information knows not to leave things blank... speaking of which, if some piece of info isn't known for certain fields, you can't contribute the item or you have to make up something to enter... is there any way to contribute anyway and edit in the missing info later?

Yea the * is something I have been meaning to get on there, no excuse why it isn't there.

Right now, it is pretty bare minimum of the stuff that is required. Ideally I would like the required fields for right now to be accurate to be submitted but I have had some people submit them under incorrect information and then they tell me later what needs to get added and then I fix and that has worked for now. However, that is definitely not a good long term solution.

While we are still small I am perfectly fine with added the data out there ASAP (usually a day turn around) so people can get things added but again I don't think that is a good long term solution either.

I need to create some process that is either similar to what you described or allows users to submit categories/brands/whatever themselves so it can be a self running system. We are definitely not there yet but that would be by end goal.

But yea, with the edit system later, if you do not know somethign we can always update it later on. The idea is that hopefully we get enough passionate people that want to maintain accurate data that it will get updated and corrected constantly because I definitely don't expect everyone to know everything about a piece. I sure don't, :)

I could loosen up the required fields some more at some point if we find that it will get harder for older pieces.

Yeah, I think the only way to be efficient is to allow people to add categories, licenses, etc. Then maybe held for review if not picked from the existing list. For instance, in my own pre-order tracking database, any field like that (company, retailer, etc) has code to ask if I want to add the info if it isn't already in the drop-down list and then adds it to the underlying table if I click yes.

DVD Profiler works similar to what you are talking about; the database of DVD's and Blu-Ray's is created by the community through a similar contribution system, but everything is reviewed before approval. Users can also update existing items and re-contribute to update missing info or better pictures, etc.

Which leads to another issue I just encountered. I added the Universal Monsters duo base SSE to test adding a variant. One issue I had was that it brought over all the information from the original base (which is great), but I could not remove tags to add a new one; I needed to add the "Silver Screen Edition" tag but there were already five with no way I could see to remove any.

Yeah, I think the only way to be efficient is to allow people to add categories, licenses, etc. Then maybe held for review if not picked from the existing list. For instance, in my own pre-order tracking database, any field like that (company, retailer, etc) has code to ask if I want to add the info if it isn't already in the drop-down list and then adds it to the underlying table if I click yes.

DVD Profiler works similar to what you are talking about; the database of DVD's and Blu-Ray's is created by the community through a similar contribution system, but everything is reviewed before approval. Users can also update existing items and re-contribute to update missing info or better pictures, etc.

Yea, this is definitely where I want to be at. I am getting close but still have some low hanging fruit, like the core data that needs to be fixed so that it can also be user submitted. I will have to think through the best way, both functionally and technically, to handle licenses and categories that do not exist yet and have them easily be user submittable.

Which leads to another issue I just encountered. I added the Universal Monsters duo base SSE to test adding a variant. One issue I had was that it brought over all the information from the original base (which is great), but I could not remove tags to add a new one; I needed to add the "Silver Screen Edition" tag but there were already five with no way I could see to remove any.

:D
Yea that is an existing problem that is on the list. That one is high on Joesph's list. Thanks for mentioning that specific instance though, that one I can more quickly fix.

Thanks again for all the input, keep it coming!

Coded this up, when added collectibles, you can now remove tags.

This will be in the next release.

Last edited:

Also, maybe add an * beside items that are required so that the person inputting information knows not to leave things blank... speaking of which, if some piece of info isn't known for certain fields, you can't contribute the item or you have to make up something to enter... is there any way to contribute anyway and edit in the missing info later?

Coded this up as well tonight, it will be in the next release.

Back