Cloud Atlas

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Wachowski Brothers' Cloud Atlas

Looks good. Can already tell my wife will not understand any of it.

This will win some awards for sure! Never read the book but this trailer makes me want to, Cant wait to see this!

I had the same feeling, it makes me want to read the book now,

this looks like it is going to be powerful,

I haven't read the book either. The trailer reminded me of The Fountain.

I hope its better than the book! which was all over the place.

They said they made a 5 min trailer cause its hard to market a movie telling what its about. The whole point of the trailer was to make you question what you just saw

That's my point precisely. If it takes them 5 minutes to try and get their point across so people will understand, I don't have confidence in their ability to deliver their own story.

That's my point precisely. If it takes them 5 minutes to try and get their point across so people will understand, I don't have confidence in their ability to deliver their own story.

The Matrix trailers were kind of like that werent' they? If I remember I didn't know what the hell I was about to watch when I saw it. That and I was 18 and pretty stoned. :lol

Great trailer and it seems the movie will be very close to the source. I've read the book and honestly, I never imagined it would be made into a movie. We'll see if they managed to do a good job.

Is the book any good? I have trouble reading books that bounce all over and from what I have read this one does.

Trailer looks epic! I can't wait. Hopefully this is their masterpiece.

I thought the book was great. Really well written and something different for a change. Here is a great review without spoilers from amazon:

Story in a nutshell (without spoilers):

Cloud Atlas consists of 6 [slightly] interlinking stories, told from the viewpoint of 6 different individuals at different points in time. The first story consists of the letters of Adam Ewing, and his fateful trip on a ship in the Pacific in the mid 1850's.

From there we go to the second story, which takes place in the 1930's and is told from the viewpoint of Robert Frobisher, a talented disinherited muscial composer who visits an infirm maestro and his family in an attempt to get work and advantage. His story is told through his letters to a scientist friend/lover named Rufus Sixsmith.

The next story takes place in the 1970's, and has to do with reporter Luisa Rey, and her exposure of corporate malfeasance that could result in disaster. Sixsmith is a scientist there, and plays an important part of the story.

Next, (and my personal favorite), is the story of Timothy Cavendish, in present day England, and the tale of his (mis) adventures as a book publisher. Utterly hilarious and poignant.

The second to last story becomes a sci/fi read of future corporate controlled Korea, complete with cloned humans. And the final story is one that takes place in post apocalyptic Hawaii.

And then we go back to each story, in opposite order, and put the pieces together and complete the cliffhanger endings from the first half.

I think this book is brilliant. I often found myself rereading various sections because I found them so ingenius and profound. I think David Mitchell is one of the most talented new writers around.

My only complaint? Sometimes I think that the author was a bit taken with his own writing, and was too clever for his own good. At points the writing became tedious, although never to the point that I wanted to throw in the towel.

Back