Clothes for Merry and Pippin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure. Obviously it would be easier to just die the existing clothes than fabricate clothing from scratch, but that depends on whether the dying process is successful. I'll let you know how it goes or thenam will since he already bought his dye and I think he was going to begin today.

Back on the topic of clothing, do you think it will be easier to modify the existing hobbit clothing, or simply have them custom fabricated? please note,I said easier, not cheaper.

It will def be easier to dye pre-exisiting clothing, but I have doubts about how well it will turn out. Hope it's awesome.

Custom clothing, actually, will be easier, assuming you're doing the buying not the making.

Here is a good pic of the clothing on Merry:

Merry_pipe.jpg

It's Gimli all over again. Get your hobbits now folks!

If we keep this project to ourselves for now it won't be. I recommend we don't talk much of it in the general forum until all of us can get our extra pair of hobbits. Once the first custom Merry/Pippin makes an appearance on the forum THEN it will be "Gimli Fever" all over again. Let's try to keep the cost down for now. ;)

Back on the topic of clothing, do you think it will be easier to modify the existing hobbit clothing, or simply have them custom fabricated? please note,I said easier, not cheaper.

Depends on the item. I'm definitely using the pants and shirts - there's virtually no difference, the pants colors may need adjusting is all. The coats and cloaks are another matter.

I've got some bids in for doll clothing patterns. They're inexpensive and I might be able to come up with something.

Sam's vest would work as a pattern for Merry, though I don't think it will dye well into the yellow. Perhaps someone can reverse engineer the vest and remake it in yellow?

If my dye project this week isn't successful my mother-in-law will be looking at Frodo's vest and making one for me. I'll let you all know the results.

Here is my new updated recipe. I changed Merry's pants from Sam's to Frodo's since the dye would be easier to take from Sams Khakis to Dark Green and Frodo's Brown pants are the same color as Merry's (if a darker shade of brown):

[a] SSC Frodo SSC Samwise [c1, c2]SSC Frodo Jacket [d]SSC Samwise

Merry

1. Sam’s Shirt
2. Frodo's Pants
3. Frodo’s Vest (Brown dyed Golden Yellow+) [a]
4. Frodo’s Jacket (Brown dyed Dark Green* and altered slimmer and longer lapels) [a]
5. Frodo’s Cloak (Dark Green dyed Pearl Grey+ and altered) [a]
6. Frodo’s sword and scabbard from Weathertop [a]
7. Hobbit Body
8. Meriadoc Brandybuck Portrait

Pippin

1. Sam’s Shirt (with embroidery printed on)[d]
2. Sam’s Pants (Khaki dyed Dark Green)[a]
3. Frodo’s Jacket (Brown dyed Teal and altered)[c1]
4. Sam’s Cloak (Khaki dyed Rust)
5. Sam’s sword and scabbard from Weathertop
6. Hobbit Body [a]
7. Peregrin Took Portrait
8. Scarf

Last edited:
How much closer is Frodo's vest to Merry's than Sam's? Grey would be easier to go to yellow than brown.

It would be easier you are right. I'll try both tonight and post pics of the results and let you guys be the judge.

Sometimes brown fades to yellow in bleach...

I appreciate the sacrifice.

I have a hunch we may want to do Merry's vest from original material.

Me too. But might as well give it a try since its just extra stuff. My only reservation with Sam's vest is the weave doesn't look as posh as Frodo's vest and for Merry it should look posh since he comes from the Shire's oldest family.

I am not sure I would have ended up with the yellow I did honestly. After the color removal the vest was a pea green color and the bleach turned it yellow. Whereas I am pretty sure that if I had only gone with the bleach it may turned it orange. Not to mention that it would have taken longer which may have harmed the material. As it is the fabric feels just the same. No thinning at all.

Back