Cigs!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Customikey said:
I was in Blythe Spirit, a Nole Coward play, a few years ago. Dear Nole was a chain smoker and so were all of his actor friends, so he wrote enormous amounts of smoking into his plays, and they simply can't be performed correctly without smoking.

I must have smoked about eight cigarettes for every performace. And the cigarette cases they bought were to small for the ciggys, so they proceeded to cut off the filters!!!

Needless to say, I was much relieved when it was all over and I somehow managed to avoid becoming addicted. But the whole time I was in the show, my wife wouldn't let me near her until I bathed, brushed, and gargled. And even then, she said I smelt distinctly of disgusting cigarette smoke.

Been NEVER allowed to smoke in a play...even when the smoking was an essential aspect of the character or even a small plot line. Other actors would pitch fits about blahblahblah so the directors would "tweak" so that there would be "harmony" within the cast....blahblah...bleh. But, from a staging perspective, I've found that there is something very intriguing about a lit cigarette's smoke rising sinuously into the air against a minimalist backdrop and set...

Lonnie...you doing a patch? I haven't done that. Any good? My problem is that I enjoy the process of smoking probably more than the actual nicotine (yeah, truly addicted).

Wetanut said:
...Lonnie...you doing a patch? I haven't done that. Any good? My problem is that I enjoy the process of smoking probably more than the actual nicotine (yeah, truly addicted).

Not yet, but I've tried in the past... went one week with only one cig during the day, but when the weekend rolled around... it was all over. So I'm thinking that if I can slow down by SDCC, then try the patch while I'm there and busy, it might work... then again, who knows! :lol

And I agree, I think now days I enjoy the process as well...

Thanks for the support. So far so good. This day is going to be hard though. Time to see what this drug is made of.

Good luck man! You can do it. Just think of all that money that you are saving per pack that can be used for Sideshow goodies!!:D

Good luck badmoon.

I have been smoking for over ten years, and need to stop too.

But I just look to damn cool smoking a cig:cool:

Good luck badmoon, we'll be here to support you in any way! Quitting is hard (I quit cold turkey about six years ago with no looking back), but hopefully with some support from those around you, you can make this step.

King, you look much cooler without the cig. Just my opinion.

Best of luck to ya! I've smoked for about 9 years, recently tried quitting cold turkey and actually reached over a month, but then picked it up again after a death in the family. Keep at it!:cool:

DO IT YEAH! I think if people wanna smoke, fine, but if you sincerley want to quit, AWESOME! Mind over matter. Fight the crave. I have 3 addictions myself, coffee, white castle and toys. I have no urge to quit any of them. But that smoking cash can TOTALLY go to SS!

Good Job!

The physical addiction only last three days after your last one! after that it's all in your mind!

My older sister just quit smoking, going on three months now I think :D

Thanks again guys. I am wearing down a bit. This can be expected on the first few days I guess. Reading this again has helped to put a smile on my face. I will not smoke at all though. I will just be miserable for a while I guess.

Something that helped me the first time I quit was cinnamon flavored gum...I read somewhere that the cinnamon helped with cravings....

Calle, I too heard that nicotine leaves your system after 72 hours or so. When I quit, I quit cold turkey, and after three days, I just didn't think about it again. Now I try to get some exercise and work out, and after years of being out of shape and smoking, I can run for miles and I bench around 220. We're all pulling for you, and just think, if you smoke a pack of day, twenty days of smoking can get you a 12-inch SS figure, shipping included!

Maybe that is symptom substitution for addictions though!:lol

72 hours??? Interesting! I think if I develop a plan to stay really busy for the first week or two after quiting, I can keep my mind occupied and maybe pull this off.

...and Badmoon, quit thinking about it! Go play with some 12" figures to take your mind off of it! :D

Jen said:
Something that helped me the first time I quit was cinnamon flavored gum...I read somewhere that the cinnamon helped with cravings....

This is true. It helped me my first month with every craving I had.

Well day 2 and still in the clear. Last night was rough. Especially watching TV. I can vouch for the statement about the 72 hour rule. It does leave your body in 72 hours but the habit still remains. Withdraw symptoms can last a couple of weeks I think. We will see. I guess I will just take it one day at a time. So my first goal is the 72 hour mark. I guess thats 3 days but who's counting.

I haven't been around the Freaks board very much in the last few months, but I do check the posts here every once in a while.
I'm always very interested in a "quit smoking" thread, so I thought I'd add my 2 cents.
I started smoking as a teenager and it ended up being a habit that I carried with me for more than 30 years. I tried quitting several times, always cold turkey. Sometimes I lasted for a few days, sometimes a few weeks, once I even lasted 3 months, but my downfall would always be when I would be in a social situation where I told myself it was OK to have just one. It doesn't work. You will always start smoking again, just a few at first, but eventually you will be right back where you started.
The only way to truly quit for good, is to never, never have another smoke, ever again. Don't let your smoker's mind convince you that you can have one, "just this once".
I quit forever, almost 6 years ago. I feel better now than I did 20 years ago.
If you can get through 3 days, make your next goal 3 weeks, if you make it to there, make your next goal 3 months. As time goes on, your cravings will become less and less. After a few weeks, you will go for hours without even thinking about it. It will surprise you, when you haven't thought about it for a whole day.
Be determined. Know that if you are serious about quitting, you can never have another smoke again.......period.
If you can do it, you will never regret it.
I wish you the best of luck.

I used to spend $100-125 a month on smokes. Now my smoking money is my polystone money. :D It's been four years now.

What also helps me is cycling. I ride 20-30 miles a day now. As long as I keep that up, I don't want a smoke. When I take some time off, however, I start to feel a bit of an itch...

Thanks guys! Coming in here and reading this a couple times a day is helping more than you will ever know. It feels good to know I have the support of the board. I will not let myself or this board down. I know not even to touch 1. Hell I even stopped watching movies where I know people will smoke in them (at least for now). Today is a little better. There are certainly moments. I don't think I have posted this before but I started smoking around 11 years ago when I was 16. I smoked about a pack a day. Thanks again for the support and good advice.

Back