Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The IMAX trailer before KONG was pretty effective. The sound blew my mind.

I dug the Kong film but that IMAX trailer put it to absolute shame. I don't think a movie trailer has ever made my heart beat that fast before, especially with Tom Hardy's Spitfire battling that Messerschmidt. Pure white knuckle, edge of your seat insanity that was.

I guess times have changed. I don't see how this could be considered lame. Looks really good but not my thing.

Can't wait to see this. I love war films and Christopher Nolan as a director. It is weird to see this film coming out during the summer rather than the fall. Just like westerns, war films are not for the casual movie goer and it probably won't be a huge hit. Nevertheless, I hope it's good.:)

I dug the Kong film but that IMAX trailer put it to absolute shame. I don't think a movie trailer has ever made my heart beat that fast before, especially with Tom Hardy's Spitfire battling that Messerschmidt. Pure white knuckle, edge of your seat insanity that was.

I've always wondered, are there no flight worthy Messerschmidt's left? Never seen a real one in a movie.

Saw this last night. Great film, Not gory, but terrifying never the less. Beautifully shot by Nolan, The aerial sequences are amazing. A must see in I-MAX. Just a note, the story doesn't unfold in a linear matter. But rather bounces back and forth telling three separate narratives
1. The Mole ( beach): Unfolds during one week.
2.The Sea:
Events occur in one day.
3. The Air: Takes place over one hour.

In the end Nolan pulls the three narrative strands tightly together. I enjoyed this film and left the theater with goose bumps. I plan to see it again.

9/10.

Watched it in glorious 15/70 last night at my local IMAX Dome. They gave us t-shirts.

16gk9xf.jpg

Definitely not Nolan's best film and nowhere near my Top 5 personal favorites - but still a strong feature worth watching, specially in 70mm. Some thoughts:

-The movie is an exercise in tension. Its a tough two hours. You feel for all the players and are completely immersed in their experiences (specially with that massive five and a half story screen surrounding you).

-Performances were subtle and vague as were all the characters and overall plot. Hardy steals the show in every frame he's in while Rylance and Styles deliver solid turns as their respective soldiers.

-Zimmer's score was tense but nothing special.

-The real highlight of this movie is the stuff involving Hardy and the Airmen. Truly fascinating sequences that definitely benefited from the 15/70 format.

9/10

My rankings for Nolan's complete body of work:

1. The Dark Knight (2008) 10/10
2. Interstellar (2014) 10/10
3. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) 10/10
4. The Prestige (2006) 10/10
5. Inception (2010) 10/10
6. Memento (2000) 10/10
7. Dunkirk (2017) 9/10
8. Batman Begins (2005) 9/10
9. Insomnia (2002) 9/10
10. Following (1998) 8/10

Conservatives are calling this movie garbage saying Nolan is an antiwar liberal who has no respect for the military by creating fictional soldiers who are unpatriotic selfish ugly individuals who only care about their own skin and not their fellow soldiers and country.

They're recommending to boycott this movie and go find a movie where soldiers are portrayed as the heroes they really are.

Conservatives are calling this movie garbage saying Nolan is an antiwar liberal who has no respect for the military by creating fictional soldiers who are unpatriotic selfish ugly individuals who only care about their own skin and not their fellow soldiers and country.

They're recommending to boycott this movie and go find a movie where soldiers are portrayed as the heroes they really are.

I saw the complaints :lol

Great film. I could almost smell that ocean air... As someone who's been at sea I really love the way it was portrayed!
Dialogs felt a bit too on the nose... but there's very little of them so it's ok. Finale could be a bit shorter and with less pathos, just because it feels less realistic than the rest of the film.

fictional soldiers who are unpatriotic selfish ugly individuals
The hyperbole level is OVER9000! LOL

BS! I lean conservative and served. I also loved the film. This was a defeated army that was trapped. The Germans had them surrounded, and were playing with them like a cat with a mouse. The British government was only expecting to rescue 30,000 out of 400,000 troops trapped. The men were pushed to the breaking point, and felt abandoned. This can make some men desperate. I reject that film is anti military. There were plenty examples of heroism in the film, both military and civilian. Tom Hardy's character to name one.

:rolleyes2 :slap

Saw this last night, a real masterpiece. Very cleverly done and so many brilliant details. The different perspectives were all very well done, and I loved the unusual structure of it. An exceptional film.

I went to the Chinese theater IMAX to see this and I didn't really like it. It was a bombardment to the senses. Hated the non-linear "One Week", "One Day", "One hour" structure and that booming, foreboding soundtrack playing throughout 90% of the film. There's not a single scene that is quiet. When characters are talking in a relatively peaceful scene, it just has these repetitive tracks that make it difficult to hear the character's dialogue.

The thing with the kid on the boat and Cillian Murphy actually made me laugh because of how awkwardly staged it all was. The outcome to that little sideplot was stupid. I wasn't invested in any of the characters like Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, or Blackhawk down, and many of the soldiers looked the same. There were some beautiful shots throughout (especially the plane scenes), but it did nothing for me overall.

I went to the Chinese theater IMAX to see this and I didn't really like it. It was a bombardment to the senses. Hated the non-linear "One Week", "One Day", "One hour" structure and that booming, foreboding soundtrack playing throughout 90% of the film. There's not a single scene that is quiet. When characters are talking in a relatively peaceful scene, it just has these repetitive tracks that make it difficult to hear the character's dialogue.

The thing with the kid on the boat and Cillian Murphy actually made me laugh because of how awkwardly staged it all was. The outcome to that little sideplot was stupid. I wasn't invested in any of the characters like Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, or Blackhawk down, and many of the soldiers looked the same. There were some beautiful shots throughout (especially the plane scenes), but it did nothing for me overall.

I have to agree with most of this except I actually liked that this didn't have characters for me to get invested in. I usually hate all that patriotic, American soldiers being heroes stuff in every film, it made for a less cliche and less Hollywood feeling movie. Also made for a more subjective viewing experience.

The side plot with George was odd, and I felt that something was definitely cut out regarding Cillian Murphy's character.

I saw it in 70mm and It's technically one of the best movies I've ever seen, but I just found the whole structure of the story want very cohesive and unnecessary. I did enjoy the music and how it was used, also loved how the soldiers were flawed.

Overall I'd give it about a 7/10. It might grow on me or I might hate if I ever watch it again.

I saw this and this is film making in it's purist state. This is the definition of show me, don't tell me. Everything we learn about the characters we learn through their actions, not words or stories told about past exploits. Why doesn't the one guy talk? We learn why and the other characters reaction to this tells us more about them than any words could ever describe. There is so much power brought forth with just showing us and letting the actions speak for the characters. Murphy's character? We don't need to see what happened because his actions on the personal boat tell us everything we need to know. I can't express enough how much I loved this film, this is Nolan's best and my personal favorite of the year so far. I hope this gets some awards love because this is a true cinematic achievement.

Other than the 15/70 visuals the movie sounds like a real bore to sit thru with nothing gained by the audience.

For a director hell bent on showing the reality of war it sure sounds like he created a very sterile environment which i'm sure the real battle was anything but.

The destruction of the human body is as critical to show as the destruction of the human mind.

Why would I want to sit thru a sterile war movie if I wanted to do that i'll just go watch a war movie from the 1940's or 50's.

Why water down and compromise your so called realistic vision just for the sake of box office returns.

To be fair, the dude's getting melted by the oil in the water was pretty kewl.

The lack of blood and the way the bodies disappear when they get exploded was lame though. That's just Nolan for ya. I'm actually surprised he let that kid bleed from out his mouth r head or whatever.

Back