Cheerleader or Not Poll

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are NFL Cheerleaders real Cheerleaders

• Yes

Votes: 19 61.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 38.7%

• Total voters

BadMoon

Demi G0D Overseer
Reaction score
Ok fella's and Ladies I need a hand here. My girlfriend says that NFL Cheerleaders are not cheerleaders. I ask her why and she says that they are dancers. I told her that cheerleaders are cheerleaders and end of story. She then says that competition cheerleaders are the real deal and only they count as the real thing. Now I have watched many competitions and such on ESPN. However, just because they can do flips and tricks does not make them a true cheerleader IMO. Granted it is cool and all but IMO opinion they are in a competition with other cheerleaders. They are not cheering for anything in particular. So I ask are NFL cheerleaders not real cheerleaders? I dont see it. A cheerleader is a cheerleader is a cheerleader. Bottom line. Are the blue angels no longer pilots now because of what they do? I think not.

Who the ^^^^ cares?

They look good and shake their asses! You can call them what ever you want.

^^^

I agee as long as they shake their ass i'm not bothered what you call em. :lol

I am in the "cheerleaders are cheerleaders" boat. If they perform the function...to lead crowd cheering, then they have met the requirement no matter how they accomplish that.

Competiton cheerleading with all the choreography is just a spin on the regul;ar cheerleading. College cheerleaders sort of bridged the space between the standard cheerleading and the competition by taking the moves further and making them more complex.

I am at the point where I wish the competiton-style cheerleading was the standard in at least pro and college football. The half-time shows would regain some of the game atmosphere that has been lost to big-ticket half-time shows.

I would rather see a squad of competition cheerleaders in Steelers colors competing against a squad in the opposing teams colors during half-time.

Edit - And I wouldn't care if they were squads that had no affiliation with the teams and the squad wearing the home colors always won due to there being a friendly crowd. It is the spirit that would make it fun.

I'd say if they have pom poms they are cheerleaders. If they do not have pom poms they are dancers.

Of course they are. They lead cheers. Competition cheerleaders are actually called that, "competition cheerleaders." If anything NFL cheerleaders are more of a "cheerleader" than the "competition cheerleaders," considering they are the only group of the two leading a crowd to cheer.

My sister used to be a competitive cheerleader, and she did the acrobatic stuff, but she could also dance like NFL cheerleaders do. There was some of both in the cheering competitions she was in, I believe. You can make the distinction between acrobatic and dancing cheerleaders, but as Wofford says, in competitions, they aren't actually leading cheers (they're really just cheering amongst themselves). In that sense, NFL cheerleaders are more cheerleaders than are those in competitions. On the other hand, NFL cheerleaders only promote generic "cheering," mostly of the cheerleaders themselves it seems. They don't have specific cheers that they get the crowd to chant like you see in high school and college. So, the most ideal "cheerleaders" are those in high school/college, IMO, and so neither NFL nor competition cheerleaders are included.

Thanks guys! I just took great joy in watching her read the responses! :rock Boyfriend + 1 Girlfriend LOSER! :rotfl

Yes she just watched me type this too! :lecture:rotfl

Thanks guys! I just took great joy in watching her read the responses! :rock Boyfriend + 1 Girlfriend LOSER! :rotfl

Yes she just watched me type this too! :lecture:rotfl

img01561h.jpg

NBA teams have both a dance crew and cheerleaders. The NFL chicks are kinda in between those two. They don't do nearly as much dancing as chicks can do on an arena hard floor, but they aren't doing flips like the nba cheerleaders do. But a cheerleaders real job is to lead cheers, not do flips right? I think NFL cheerleaders try to do that, but in such a big stadium as NFL has they aren't really heard. They're there for eyecandy and thats it.

So basically, I voted no because NFL cheerleaders are more like models with pompoms. :lol Nothing wrong with that!

I voted no!

I agree with ur GF....I don't necessary believe that cheerleaders are suppose to do flips and shat...but i do believe that they are suppose to cheer the crowd...and i don't really think they do that...i think maybe the announcers on the speakers do that more than the girls do....I believe that they are just dancers that do choreography and are they just for the tradition of the game and to make the guys horny!

BTW...i think it's so funny that you posted a poll of this cuz i was having a discussion just like this with my friend earlier this week!!:lol

Im with you, If you lead cheers, you are a cheer leader. Funny how sometimes words can give the truth to dumb questions.

Like whats in an "All fruit smoothie"?

Im assuming your g/f is a cheerleader? I usually only hear this argument from people who think cheerleading is a sport.

From what I've been told, NFL cheerleaders aren't actually paid very well and usually have to work another regular job type job job as you can't make a living being a NFL cheerleader.

Something to consider is that high school and college cheerleaders are in environments where usually their primary focus is supposed to be on school, not trying to scratch out a living. I question whether NFL cheerleaders could put in the time/training commitment that a high schooler or a college student could.

If it's any consolation, I've also read many teams in the NFL have discussed getting rid of female cheerleaders altogether. While they aren't paid much, they are an added expense for travel, facilities, accommodations, etc. Also you have very young attractive women who are generally not making a lot of money near rich, often married, giant sized alpha male athletes who are used to getting what they want when they want it.

Basically the situation is ripe for a scandal/financial blow to the franchise waiting to happen. Every cheerleader in the NFL is a walking lawsuit in my book. Most teams apparently have rules against cheerleaders dating players and vice versa for that reason.

The NFL has a symposium for drafted rookies each year, because they want to curb scandal. Topics include taking your used condoms with you and don't let a girl headbutt your fist. And don't screw the cheerleaders. I think the shift to competitive performances in cheerleading stems from the pervasive feminism in the western culture. It's not that they don't want you to objectify them at all, but only to do it in the way and manner that they deem appropriate. It's all a status grab in my book. But if you can do well enough to pay for college, then good for you. Too bad men in cheerleading are often excluded from scholarship potential. ( One of the few double standards I tend to agree with. )

I think the major differences are this

1) In college and high school, you can be ugly and still be a cheerleader and compete. At the NFL level, there are probably physical baselines. In places like Dallas and Miami, I think the bar is pretty high.

2) Most women basically hate each other. They are competitive. Especially in that 15-25 bracket where most of these cheerleaders probably reside. Especially when they line up similar in status. It's one thing to be the pretty girl surrounded by 20 plain girls. It's another thing to be a pretty girl and be around 19 other girls that guys think are even prettier than you and have it happen for the first time in your life. Anything they can do to tier out or draw lines between each other, even in a similar activity, is just another way to move oneself up and push someone else down in their eyes.

Maybe your girlfriend doesn't like how you might look at NFL cheerleaders, I don't know. She probably just wants you to agree with her, no matter what you actually feel.

Gekko

So...yes or no?

Competition Cheerleaders = Fat chicks in mini skirts jumping around

NFL Cheerleaders = Models in mini skirts that dance for the crowd

So I would vote NFL = :rock Competition = :monkey1

The purpose of a cheerleader is to get the crowd pumped up, so during a competition, there is no crowd watching a game

Ok fella's and Ladies I need a hand here. My girlfriend says that NFL Cheerleaders are not cheerleaders. I ask her why and she says that they are dancers. I told her that cheerleaders are cheerleaders and end of story. She then says that competition cheerleaders are the real deal and only they count as the real thing. Now I have watched many competitions and such on ESPN. However, just because they can do flips and tricks does not make them a true cheerleader IMO. Granted it is cool and all but IMO opinion they are in a competition with other cheerleaders. They are not cheering for anything in particular. So I ask are NFL cheerleaders not real cheerleaders? I dont see it. A cheerleader is a cheerleader is a cheerleader. Bottom line. Are the blue angels no longer pilots now because of what they do? I think not.

Nope, they are there for eye candy purposes only. When you try out for HS or College cheerleading, believe me, your dancing abilities are last on the list of what they're looking for.

Where's the male cheerleaders btw?

Competition Cheerleaders = Fat chicks in mini skirts jumping around

NFL Cheerleaders = Models in mini skirts that dance for the crowd

So I would vote NFL = :rock Competition = :monkey1

The purpose of a cheerleader is to get the crowd pumped up, so during a competition, there is no crowd watching a game

OMG......FAT CHICKS??????????

I'm speechless. :mad:

The people that said the NFL cheerleaders don't do tricks and stuff must not have gone to an NFL game. They do all that fun stuff at half time. :lecture It's just everyone is busy draining their Ween's of beer and going for another fill up. :lol

I voted no!

I agree with ur GF....I don't necessary believe that cheerleaders are suppose to do flips and shat...but i do believe that they are suppose to cheer the crowd...and i don't really think they do that...i think maybe the announcers on the speakers do that more than the girls do....I believe that they are just dancers that do choreography and are they just for the tradition of the game and to make the guys horny!

BTW...i think it's so funny that you posted a poll of this cuz i was having a discussion just like this with my friend earlier this week!!:lol

Unless they're on camera, how many really see them?

Pretty much useless really. Eye candy for the men. Enjoy! :lol

Tell Jess those ESPN shows are nothing more than scripted stunts. Takes a ton of skill to do, but that's not "cheering". NFL cheerleaders are real cheerleaders.

Back