Whiplash Mark II/Relationship Advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did she say, "Hey big guy, funds getting real low"?

F|_|cking hilarious!!!

At 3 months, your finances are none of her g0dd@mn business. She has a personal problem because of her own traumatic history. That's something she needs to work out and not be projecting it on you or your hobby. Every man has a hobby or a vice. Just don't let your hobby become a vice.

It's not like you're tricking money off at a strip club on a daily/weekly basis. You're doing something that you enjoy, that you can afford, using your money, for you. At this point in your relationship, it literally has NO affect on her life...NONE! Nuff said.

Most women are looking for financial stability in a long-term relationship. 1-3 months is a bit early to be getting into that sort of entanglement, however. My wife came up with the perfect solution to finances in our house (she's a corporate accountant): don't mix finances. Break down the household bills as a percentage of income. Once all the bills are paid and accounted for, whatever money is left over for each person is theirs to do with as they please, no questions asked. We haven't fought about money in over 20 years. NEVER combine finances. NEVER.
She's only 22... WAY too early to be thinking marriage. Half of all marriages end in divorce, and as a former P.I. I can tell you a lot of it is due to people getting married too young.

:goodpost:

That's how my wife and I operate, and we haven't had a problem yet. We both work full time and I am responsible for most of the bills including the mortgage. Anything left over and I can do what I want (within reason of course). Same with her, but instead just does a few monthly bills and handles daily expenses (groceries, dinners, etc) and any project that is not routine (car troubles, house repairs/maintenance, etc), and our savings. And of course she is free to buy whatever she wants as well (again, within reason).

We don't make any big purchases without at least mentioning it to each other. Most of the time we shop together (I am a rare male who actually likes to shop), and most of the time she encourages me to get stuff for myself because she knows I'm usually a tightwad.

BTW, that "half of marriages end in divorce" thing is a myth.

...the rumor appears to have originated from a misreading of the facts. It was true, he said, if you looked at all the marriages and divorces within a single year, you’d find that there were twice as many marriages as divorces. In 1981, for example, there were 2.4 million marriages and 1.2 million divorces. At first glance, that would seem like a 50-percent divorce rate.

Virtually none of those divorces were among the people who had married during that year, however, and the statistic failed to take into account the 54 million marriages that already existed, the majority of which would not see divorce.

source: Fifty Percent of American Marriages End in Divorce-Fiction!

How's everything going Jeff? Did you make the call to her? Hopefully everything is A-ok!

BTW, that "half of marriages end in divorce" thing is a myth.

Interesting. How accurate... ? Not sure. As a private investigator I can say that about 60 - 65% of my business was infidelity/people looking to one-up their spouse in a divorce. Made me VERY careful in choosing a spouse, and I didn't marry the first girl I fell in love with. Many of those cases had quite a few of the same underlying patterns: married too young, money, wanting different things, no pre-marital relations, not enough pre-marital relations with different partners.

Interesting. How accurate... ? Not sure. As a private investigator I can say that about 60 - 65% of my business was infidelity/people looking to one-up their spouse in a divorce. Made me VERY careful in choosing a spouse, and I didn't marry the first girl I fell in love with. Many of those cases had quite a few of the same underlying patterns: married too young, money, wanting different things, no pre-marital relations, not enough pre-marital relations with different partners.

Remind me to never piss this guy off ha-ha.

I think she overreacted. She saw one figure and now she's concerned about how you spend money?
People are going to spend their money one way or another. You could be blowing it on going to clubs every week, or on cigarettes and pot. I can tell you it won't take long to blow through the kind of money that you spent on Whiplash when you're out clubbing a few weekends.

Seeing as you are looking to continue in the hobby it doesn't sound like she's going to like it at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sad. My mother divorced my father when I was very young and I never knew him. I don't even know why they divorced. The subject seemed to make my mother uncomfortable so I've never brought it up since I was a child.

Coming from a divorced childhood makes me really cherish my own marriage. A happy marriage, the kind you see on TV or in the movies, was so beyond reality growing up, that it makes me immeasurably happy that I have one now in real life.

So, yeah, Jeff. Don't settle for someone who is going to constantly harp about money for the rest of your life. Unless you are or will become a billionaire, where money concerns will never be an issue.

This is hysterical, and another point lost for humanity. :slap

I'm sorry I don't see whats funny :dunno are you talking about the thread, I see nothing but positive vibes and help from almost everyone :dunno

He was just reaching out for help from a great community, nothing wrong with that

Looking for some relationship advice that maybe some collectors who are experiencing or have already gone through what I currently am going through.

I don’t even know where to begin so I’ll just give you the basics. I have been seeing my girlfriend for about 3 months now (officially one month). She’s 22 beautiful and has a really cool personality, can pretty much talk to her about anything.

Anyways, she comes over to my place yesterday (first time) to watch the US vs Japan World Cup Championship. Things are going great and we were had a really good time. After the match she asks for a “tour” which implies seeing my bedroom. So I’m thinking everything is going great and as soon as she walks in my bedroom she sees my Iron Whiplash Mark II and walks directly to it asking allll kinds of questions. What is it, Where did I get this, Who made it, (she knew it was from Iron Man) she was verrrry interested.

And then, she asks how much it was.

This is hobby is something I rarely talk about with friends and family because few people understand it. Everyone thinks they are amazing, high quality detailed figures…..but when I let them know the price-they can’t believe it.

So I kind of begin to panic, not really wanting to reveal the cost of each figure.

I ask her how much she thinks it was.

She literally has no idea, and guesses $50!

Soon after, I told her the retail price.

She didn’t believe me. And starts to laugh. So she asks again.

And I say the same price.

She became very quiet and went back into the living room and sits down. I could tell she was shocked.

At this point, I began to worry, but tried my best to act like everything is fine. So I asked her if she feels like going to IHOP.

She says no-and that we needed to talk. I tried my best to act like I didn’t know about what. But I knew….I knew.

This is when she let me know that if we are going to be together and if we had any future together we would need to watch our finances and that her parents fought a lot about money causing them to end their marriage. And asked if I was going to buy anymore of these figures. (This morning I just ordered early processed my Mark VII Stealth and have a Mark III coming with one flexpay left-not to mention my Mark 1 currently boxed up LOL)

So I said, look I think you’re overreacting and I am not financially irresponsible and have my finances in order. Also, maybe she is thinking too far ahead and too much into this situation. And tell her lets go get some dinner and that would make everything better.

She finally agreed, but I could tell it was still on her mind the rest of the night.

I haven’t heard from her since last night. And she always texts/facebooks me something in the morning or by the afternoon. I’m thinking she is either upset or scared about the whole situation. And can’t stop thinking about her now and feel kind of bad for charging my Stealth Version now.

Anyways I’m not texting/calling her until she contacts me. I don’t appreciate the way she handled the situation. We barely know each other and I feel like she waaaayyyy overreacted. If we were married or engaged I could see her having this talk with me. But I’m in charge of my own finances. To be honest, I really don’t think it’s none of her business and this could be an inidicator of things to come.

But then I started thinking, I really like this girl! I could see myself ending up with her and I know loving someone takes sacrifice. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about her all day.

I still haven’t figure out what to do. I'm going to give a couple of days.

So my question to you collectors out there is
-How would you handle this?
- Am I the one over reacting?
- Have you been in a similar situation?
- How do you and your significant other handle expenses when it comes to collectibles?
-What's your take?

I'm a woman. If you want my opinion, I'll give it to you, but I doubt you'd like it. :lol

Ah, another Marvel-to-Sandbox thread...
Good morning, ladies and gentlemen!

6uyru4u487_zps6kpowjvy.gif

Back