Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

Tommy Lee Jones confirmed.

Once again Marvel has chosen to confirm casting months after strong speculation. But yes, it’s true Tommy Lee Jones will play Colonel Phillips in Captain America: First Avenger. Who knows? The studio is so late on the news, the guy may have already filmed his scenes. Regardless, when you see the movie next summer, count on Jones playing the important role of the man who recruits Steve Rogers to join Project Rebirth, the experimental project that leads to the creation of the Super Soldier. Marvel says the character will be updated for the film, which bows on July 22, 2011.

Jones can next be seen in the Sundance hit The Company Men opposite Ben Affleck and Chris Cooper. The Weinstein Co. is scheduled to release the film sometime this fall.

So general consensus on whether you think this movie will be good or not??

Magic 8 ball sez : DOA :monkey2
(If I can just get a good HT figure out of this I'll be happy)

Magic 8 ball sez : DOA :monkey2
(If I can just get a good HT figure out of this I'll be happy)

:lecture:lecture:lecture
My prediction is that patriotic isn't PC so the film will be some watered down crap but I want a HT Cap so it'll be worth it.

:lecture:lecture:lecture
My prediction is that patriotic isn't PC so the film will be some watered down crap but I want a HT Cap so it'll be worth it.

:goodpost: They want to attract the largest possible audience therefore, IMO they'll do what needs done to satisify everyone including crapping on the spirit of the character. :gah:

Yup.
The studios want to maximize box office receipts over seas because a movies "success" isnt based on domestic take anymore nor is it's critical reviews.
Trying to market Captain America to foreigners in an age were the populace as a whole seems to view America in a
negative light doesnt bode well for a story that American movie goers or comic fans will be happy with.
I want to be wrong about this, I really do and hope I am.
But this project is one big creative minefield.
Too many X factors have to line up just so for this to be up there with Iron Man, Batman Begins and Superman (1978).
The director and star arent a good start.

I don't think this will do too well overseas. Chris Evans also isn't a big sell to audiences in general... Matt Damon or Leo DiCaprio could have brought some people out just because of who they are.

Who's the director? What films has he done?

I don't think this will do too well overseas. Chris Evans also isn't a big sell to audiences in general... Matt Damon or Leo DiCaprio could have brought some people out just because of who they are.

Who's the director? What films has he done?

I dont think its about having a "name" lead actor.
Christopher Reeve buried that theory.
(Besides Damon and Leo are wrong for the part imo but thats a moot point)

Joe Johnson is the director. The Rocketeer is his biggest hit.( I'll give him credit for the final look of Boba fett as well)
His Hit/Fail ratio is disheartening.
Google for more info.

I don't think it will flop cause Evans isn't well known... just think it would be an easier sell overseas with a bigger star attached.

The only thing that worries me about the movie is some of the plot stuff we've heard. I'm hoping it I handled well. I don't need the movie to be overly patriotic to be a success. Give me a good WWII movie and I think it will suffice.

The only thing that worries me about the movie is some of the plot stuff we've heard. I'm hoping it I handled well. I don't need the movie to be overly patriotic to be a success. Give me a good WWII movie and I think it will suffice.

Saving Private Rogers :dunno

i think the film will be fine, people do have an Idea who Captain America is.
i know the name makes him obviously an American thing but the story of his origin is a great one and we know how treasured he is in teh Comic Universe.

I'm not holding out hope for this movie tbh, I like Weaving as Skull, aside from that, nothing about this production I've heard has struck me as remotely positive.

Like we've seen before with other films based on comic book heroes, the closer they stick to the original story, the better the film is.

I've got my expectations way low for this one. Joe Johnston has done plenty of movies, all a chance to really shine and blow an audience away and all he's done is prove he's merely mediocre and serviceable.

I think that how well this movie does will also partly be initially influenced by how well Thor is received since that comes out a couple months before this.

I just hope they are both awesome.

Back