Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

Hope that Thor will be better.

How do you make a character who wears the goddamn American flag less patriotic? This thing is going to fail hard.

What a shock, the libt**ds in Hollyweird doesnt want Rogers to be a "flag waver."
Heaven forbid they try to portray an unabashed patriotic american.
Even though he's friggin Captain America!!

News flash:You can be a "flag waver" and using Johnsons term do "the right thing"
This is about Marvel and Johnson trying to maximize International box office receipts by toning down the "American Exceptionalism" angle.

Remember how the second version of the KOTCS trailer removed the American flag from the trailer, and everyone was up in arms about that for all of five minutes, and then once the movie came out it was completely a non-issue.

Same exact thing here, this is the blog-o-sphere turning two sentences into a 6 paragraph article on how Captain America isn't going to be American.

I imagine there will be very little in the way of what Cap represents as far as America goes. I think the origin will be the way it always was, Steve wants to join the Army because the Nazis are bad, he wants to go punch Hitler in the face, just like everybody else did. The powers that be gave him the opportunity to, they said "Hey, we can give you the opportunity to punch Hitler in the face, and here's your uniform." And Steve looks at it in awe, and that's that.

It's still a movie based in the real world, the image of Cap charging up a hill with a shield in one hand and a flag in the other just doesn't work.

Besides he's got the friggin' flag on his shield and his chest, why should he wave a flag too?? Just him standing there is all the image you need.

Stop making something out of nothing.

Comic con exclusive poster according to Yahoo

9490_2366551002.jpg

https://movies.yahoo.com/photos/movie-stills/gallery/2755/2010-comiccon-reveals#photo0

Who do I have to kill to get this poster??? Seriously, I can kill someone if I have to.

Remember how the second version of the KOTCS trailer removed the American flag from the trailer, and everyone was up in arms about that for all of five minutes, and then once the movie came out it was completely a non-issue.

Same exact thing here, this is the blog-o-sphere turning two sentences into a 6 paragraph article on how Captain America isn't going to be American.

I imagine there will be very little in the way of what Cap represents as far as America goes. I think the origin will be the way it always was, Steve wants to join the Army because the Nazis are bad, he wants to go punch Hitler in the face, just like everybody else did. The powers that be gave him the opportunity to, they said "Hey, we can give you the opportunity to punch Hitler in the face, and here's your uniform." And Steve looks at it in awe, and that's that.

It's still a movie based in the real world, the image of Cap charging up a hill with a shield in one hand and a flag in the other just doesn't work.

Besides he's got the friggin' flag on his shield and his chest, why should he wave a flag too?? Just him standing there is all the image you need.

Flag waving is a term, no one means having him run around with an actual flag waving it around. :cuckoo:

Congrats, your whole post was a "straw-man" argument.:clap
I dont believe anyone seriously wants Cap to literally wave the flag.:cuckoo:
Its a euphemism (hint, hint)
Nor does anyone think Rogers isnt going to be an American as opposed to say...Swedish.

Read my initial response more closely if youre going to take issue with it.
:wave

Congrats, your whole post was a "straw-man" argument.:clap
I dont believe anyone seriously wants Cap to literally wave the flag.:cuckoo:
Its a euphemism (hint, hint)
Nor does anyone think Rogers isnt going to be an American as opposed to say...Swedish.

Read my initial response more closely if youre going to take issue with it.
:wave

Not really a straw man. I'm arguing the absurdity of your over-reaction to the director's statement that Cap isn't going to be a jingoistic flag-waving American. He's telling the tea-partiers that this isn't going to be their movie.

I'm interpreting what the director is saying as "Don't expect Cap to go charging into battle waving a flag, yelling about how America is the greatest nation in the world."

Also, it's a nice "straw man" of your own attacking my "flag-waving" statement, when the original point of my post was that this is a non-issue.

Since you're so familiar with logical fallacies, which one is the one that attacks the speaker and not the issue?? It's funny, your snide remark about Swedish, thinking that has something to do with my response to this issue.

Eh, no news here that we didn't hear before. I'm not too concerned about the flag waving thing either. It sounds to me like they are going to have Cap go into the military because he disagrees with Nazism or something along that line.

Not really a straw man. I'm arguing the absurdity of your over-reaction to the director's statement that Cap isn't going to be a jingoistic flag-waving American. He's telling the tea-partiers that this isn't going to be their movie.

I'm interpreting what the director is saying as "Don't expect Cap to go charging into battle waving a flag, yelling about how America is the greatest nation in the world."

Also, it's a nice "straw man" of your own attacking my "flag-waving" statement, when the original point of my post was that this is a non-issue.

Since you're so familiar with logical fallacies, which one is the one that attacks the speaker and not the issue?? It's funny, your snide remark about Swedish, thinking that has something to do with my response to this issue.

it is :dunno

Captain America: The First Avenger director Joe Johnston and stars Chris Evans and Hugo Weaving stopped by G4 at the San Diego Comic-Con and gave some nuggets of info about the movie.

They said that the movie has present day book ends and that the rest of story will take place in World War II. They mentioned that the trailer will be released at the end of the year, and that Weaving will be wearing make-up for Red Skull, no CGI.

All Make Up? That should be interesting to see indeed.....I'm not too keen on the bookends, its kind of like a "Let me tell you a story" but my expectations are so low on this that anything comes as a surprise.

From footage shown looks like the Red Skull is after the Cosmic Cube.
It used to be stored in Odins treasure house.
So theyre trying to tie in the characters for Avengers.
Theyve only been shooting Cap for 8 days.

That sounds like an Avengers level plot. Maybe Avengers will be a sequel to Captain America in more ways than just Cap getting unfrozen.

That thing is gorgeous! I love the rivets in the star points and the leather straps on the back!

Back