Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

I don't get all that excited about The Rocketeer, but two of his films that I actually like are Hidalgo and October Sky. I think that he can handle character driven visual effects movies better than some others, but he's not enough of a true visionary to overcome a bad or problematic script. If he isn't being handed a film that is already great on the page, then I don't trust him to turn it into one. But if the script is solid and if he has a strong team around him and the support of producers who know what they're doing, then I think this could be a good film.

I loved the Rocketeer, but I'd agree that it's not a great film by any means. Johnson is competent, but hardly a visionary. But I would have said the same about Favreau before Iron Man too. And I don't think Favreau is a visionary like Cameron, Spielberg or even Jackson - but he did step up his game for IM. Hopefully Johnson will do the same.

Oh my god - you can't give this a fail before even the script is even finished or a frame is shot. Remember, this is Marvel producing, not Fox - I think they've earned a benefit of a doubt.

Gotta agree with you, Dave.

I always find it funny that people will get all worked up and state that the movie is a fail even before principle filming has begun. :lol

Normally I would agree, but there's yet to be one piece of news that came out of this that sounds good. I hope we're all wrong and suffering from Chicken Little syndrome. Cap is one of my favorite characters and this is probably the Marvel movie I'm most looking forward to.

People always suffer from Chicken Little Syndrome! :lol

Cap is one of my favorite characters also and this movie is one of my most anticipated films. :D

I loved the Rocketeer, but I'd agree that it's not a great film by any means. Johnson is competent, but hardly a visionary. But I would have said the same about Favreau before Iron Man too. And I don't think Favreau is a visionary like Cameron, Spielberg or even Jackson - but he did step up his game for IM. Hopefully Johnson will do the same.

Agreed about Favreau. His big budget flicks (Elf, Zathura, Iron Man) have almost no defining style to them at all. At least Johnson makes harmless and somewhat fun family entertainment. So hopefully Cap will come through his big budget debut more or less unscathed even it does turn out as pedestrian as previous Johnson efforts.

:lol

Oh, come on. It was like the T3 of the Terminator franchise. Not terrible, but not good. It still had dinosaurs.

Agreed about Favreau. His big budget flicks (Elf, Zathura, Iron Man) have almost no defining style to them at all. At least Johnson makes harmless and somewhat fun family entertainment. So hopefully Cap will come through his big budget debut more or less unscathed even it does turn out as pedestrian as previous Johnson efforts.

Glad there are others that share the same opinion as me about Favreau. I really really do not like that guy. I was never a fan of his movies for the most part or his writing/directing style but I did enjoy Iron Man which was a surprise. Iron Man 2 is another story though.

On topic of Captain America I won't write the movie off yet because of some of the decisions made since this type of stuff has happened in the past and I have been proven wrong. I just hope the actors and actresses they have picked will work well together on screen. There is nothing worse then characters who don't mesh well together on screen.

Also Rocketeer...FTW!

Of course people are chicken littling this. There is a lot riding on this. If Captain America fails its not like if Thor fails, this is the leader of The Avengers. People love to use Ledger as a "don't count them out" marker but people forget that it was a lightning strike. Just because it happened once doesn't mean that it happens every single time.

But the G4 girl as Wanda? - now THAT'S a fail.

Ironic to read this statement in a thread full of you pointing out our flaws for not giving the benefit of the doubt. What if she is fantastic? Favreau obviously sees something in her since her role as Iron Maiden was cut from Iron Man 2 and he recasted her to keep her involved. Shouldn't you above everyone else say "give her a chance"? :rolleyes: :lol:

Ironic to read this statement in a thread full of you pointing out our flaws for not giving the benefit of the doubt. What if she is fantastic? Favreau obviously sees something in her since her role as Iron Maiden was cut from Iron Man 2 and he recasted her to keep her involved. Shouldn't you above everyone else say "give her a chance"? :rolleyes: :lol:

It was a joke.

Oh my god - you can't give this a fail before even the script is even finished or a frame is shot. Remember, this is Marvel producing, not Fox - I think they've earned a benefit of a doubt.

As for Bucky being a couple years younger than Cap - it was that way in the comic - cap was what, 24? And Bucky 17?

But the G4 girl as Wanda? - now THAT'S a fail.

I agree with these points.

But I do not think Oliiva Munn has the chops for TRUE acting.

But I do not think Oliiva Munn has the chops for TRUE acting.

I've never actually seen her in anything besides Attack of the Show on G4, so I have no idea if she can act or not. I guess we'll all see once IM2 is out.

Well, I have seen a few skits featuring her, like this one:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/lu_PY405f40&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/lu_PY405f40&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I like Olivia Munn... I think she'll do great in whatever role she has.

Ready for a nice, juicy Friday afternoon rumor?

According to a source close to UGO, Tommy Lee Jones might be a very busy man this summer. Along with the previously announced Men in Black 3, Jones is in negotiations to appear in Marvel's The First Avenger: Captain America. And they say aging actors don't have a place in Hollywood anymore. Ha!

So who would he playing? That we're not sure about, but Jones has the gruff, stone cold look of a military man, which makes perfect sense in Captain America's WWII-era storyline. I'm sure there's a certain secret super soldier program that's looking for a leader...

Take it with a grain of salt for now, but with Captain America and Men In Black 3 both prepping to shoot this summer, we should hear some concrete news soon!

What do you think about Tommy Lee Jones in Captain America? Who should he play?

Let us know and make sure to check out all our Captain America news on the spoiler page.

I don't know....I still remember one particular role he had in a comic book movie.
2ufdmav.jpg

j/k...he's one of my favorite actors, hopefully it'll work.

MiB 3? I hope its better than the second one.

I think its cool that they are getting some pretty well known actors for these superhero movies. I like that they cast unknowns as well. It seems like a nice balance or clean slates and credibility. Like having Alec Guiness in Star Wars.

What do you think about Tommy Lee Jones in Captain America? Who should he play?

I hope they cast him for a "Chesty Puller" type of character. Have him be the commander that trains Rogers after the experiment, and have Jones hand him the shield before his first mission.

Back