Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

Cool but one of the worst kept secrets. Most early reports had him as a lock before an official announcement. Now I want to see costume mock ups! :impatient:

2mhsp4h.jpg

Marvel Studios announced today that Hugo Weaving has been cast to star as Johann Schmidt aka the Red Skull in the studio’s highly anticipated movie CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER opposite Chris Evans and Hayley Atwell. In the early comics, Johann Schmidt was drafted into loyal service of The Third Reich and renamed “The Red Skull”. The character will be updated for the feature adaptation. Joe Johnston will direct the film penned by Christopher Markus & Stephen McFeely.

Oh god, why do I get the feeling that means not being a Nazi.

course he will be a Nazi but theres meant to be more to the red skull, possibly him surviving after the war, i havnt read the comic just what i can online.

course he will be a Nazi but theres meant to be more to the red skull, possibly him surviving after the war, i havnt read the comic just what i can online.

:slap They can make him a German Soldier without making him a Nazi, the comics have strayed from his origins during the whole lets pretend Nazis never happened phase the U.S went through about a year or two ago.

Kinda like the lets pretend Thomas Jefferson never happened phase we just went through.

Let's just hope that they don't adapt the Ultimates version:

Red Skull is the illegitimate son of Captain America and his girlfriend Gail Richards, conceived before the Captain's presumed death during WWII. Taken from Richards, the Red Skull is raised on an army base where he is shown to be a well-adjusted, physically superior, and tatically brilliant young man who greatly resembles his father. However, his easy-going personality is a ruse. Around the age of seventeen he kills over 200 men on the base, and then cut off his own face.

Making Weaving in the present time Evans' son....I'd rather cut the Nazi out then do the Ultimates route...

The idea is that while Cap is in Suspended Animation, that Red Skull keeps living thinking his father is dead. So Weaving would be older looking that Evans if this is the route they went.

Yea but wouldn't that only work if it took place in modern day? I thought this was only during WWII and they thaw Cap out the first time for the Avengers.

The idea is that while Cap is in Suspended Animation, that Red Skull keeps living thinking his father is dead. So Weaving would be older looking that Evans if this is the route they went.

Yea but wouldn't that only work if it took place in modern day? I thought this was only during WWII and they thaw Cap out the first time for the Avengers.

That's what I was thinking, but I"m a little confused right now. My dog just caught a squirrel in the backyard and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the body.

Don't get rid of it when the dog is looking.

He might take it personal.

Samuel Jackson is in Cap. Nick Fury wouldn't even have been alive unless they are passing him off as 62+. It probably safe to say that SLJ is probably just a cameo, who is to say that Weaving isn't just a cameo of sorts as well setting up another film?

Like I said, I hope they don't go that route and I hope that Weaving shows up more than just a couple of seconds but I don't have a lot of faith in this production.

Howard Stark to appear in 'Captain America'
Wednesday, May 5 2010, 10:58am EDT

By Mike Moody, Entertainment Reporter

Marvel
Jon Favreau has revealed that the character of Howard Stark, Tony Stark's father, will appear in Captain America: The First Avenger.

Speaking to MTV, the Iron Man 2 director said that Howard, played by John Slattery in Marvel's Iron Man sequel, will play a role in the Captain America movie.

Favreau explained that the character will most likely be played by a different actor in Captain America since that film takes place during World War II.

"[Howard Stark] was starting out during that time, and [he] was involved with the war effort, much like Howard Hughes," Favreau said.

Iron Man 2 opens in US cinemas on Friday. Captain America is expected to premiere July 22, 2011.

Slattery huh? I like him on Mad Men and I'm sure he'll do ok. It's likely just a cameo in IM2 for him anyway, but still, I was digging the Tim Robbins for Howard Stark rumor.

Nice!! I like how they're tying up all the little tidbits of info. like that. Tony's father helped design the A-bombs back then right?? That's when Stark Industries would've been upstarting. :rock

I'm sure by "updating" Red Skull they mean they'll have a more modern origin to him that ties in with Cap's. Kind of like the 89 Batman Joker. I'd never heard the Ultimates story, but hopefully that's not it.

My God, that idea for the Ultimates has got to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Apparently the Ultimates is horrible now, I know that makes me not want to read it, and I was already feeling that way after the last two TPB's...

I was thinking that maybe his head wouldn't be a red skull is what they meant by updating. I hope they keep him a nazi, but if he isn't it won't be the worst thing in the world.

Back