Captain America: The First Avenger Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The First Avenger: Captain America Discussion Thread

I don't really see Chris Evans as Cap (but I only know him from FF so take that with a grain of salt), but at this point I'm more concerned with the direction of the movie than who plays him...

I'm happy with the final choice. I wonder if Evans will lose muscle mass and then bulk up again to reflect pre-serum Rogers and then post-serum, or if they'll just use CGI for the scrawny physique like in Spider-Man. Evans already is fairly fit, though not overly muscular.

Or a good old muscle suit.....

Chris Evans Wins the Role of 'Captain America'
by Matt McDaniel · March 22, 2010

After nearly two years of speculation, The Hollywood Reporter broke the news on Monday that Chris Evans will be playing Marvel Comics' iconic hero Captain America in the big-screen adaptation.

The movie, titled "The First Avenger: Captain America," was announced in 2008 after Marvel Studio's first production, "Iron Man," became a box-office hit. The names of many actors -- from established stars to mostly unknowns -- have been rumored to be up for the role for months. Action movie veterans Channing Tatum ("G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra") and Garrett Hedlund (the upcoming "Tron Legacy") were reportedly considered, as were TV regulars Chace Crawford ("Gossip Girl") and Scott Porter ("Friday Night Lights"). Even wild-cards like "The Office" funnyman John Krasinski tested for the part.

Chris Evans was a late addition to the roster of potential leads, but he had already established himself as a comic-book hero by playing the Human Torch in the two "Fantastic Four" movies. This goes against director Joe Johnston's stated intention to use an unknown actor for the role. But Evans is an American, which was Johnston's other requirement (and left out foreigners like Australian "Avatar" star Sam Worthington).

Looking at the picts of Evans that was with this article I think they couldve done worse.
I just hope he plays Rogers straight and not a cocky goofball like Johnny Storm.

Finding the right actor to play Captain America has been pivotal for Marvel Studios because they have grander plans for the character beyond the one film. According to Johnston, "The First Avenger" is an origin story set predominantly during the 1940s, when the red-white-and-blue suited hero first appeared in comics. But the movie will also set up "The Avengers" -- based on Marvel's long-running team series -- where Captain America will lead a group of superheroes that will include Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man.

While fans of the comics have expressed their doubts at some of the candidates for the role, response to Evans has been uniformly positive. His performance as Johnny Storm in "Fantastic Four" and "Rise of the Silver Surfer" were widely considered to be the best parts of those movies. It's been said that Evans will sign a nine-picture contract that could see him appear as Captain America in multiple films, both on his own and with the Avengers.

Production on "The First Avenger" will begin in the U.K. in June. Hugo Weaving ("The Matrix") is in talks to play Captain America's nemesis, the Red Skull. It is the third movie in Marvel Studio's pipeline, following "Iron Man 2," which is coming to theaters on May 7th of this year, and "Thor," currently filming for a May 2011 release. "Captain America" is scheduled to open on July 22, 2011.

In the meantime, Chris Evans has two films set to open this year, both of which also happen to be based on comic books. Next month, he'll play a Special Forces operative in the adaptation of Vertigo Comics' "The Losers." Then in August he will appear in "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World," based on the graphic novel series.

nooooo.jpg

So I just read the news....

I'm a little disappointed because Chris has already had a crack at the Marvel world, in the form of Johnny Storm, BUT....

I'll keep the faith. This is Captain America. I think (or let me rephrase, I hope) Marvel realizes the importance of this character and this movie being the first, big budget attempt to bring him to life.

I'm really looking forward to this film and it's still years away. O' Captain, where art thou?

I'm happy Evans got the role!

I watched Push a while back, and though it wasn't anything special (sort of a Heroes/X-Men rip off), I did remember the trailer on the dvd.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/EgB70STcqSw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/EgB70STcqSw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Especially in the monologue during the first 10 seconds, I can definitely hear (and imagine) Evans as Cap.

This is bad.....so bad. I'd like to hear The Mike's thoughts about this fiasco. Worst episode ever.:banghead

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Lzyd91NFx-Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Lzyd91NFx-Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Yey! Chris Evans is a better choice then ____ing Channing Tataum...

I agree here...

I am not all sold on this one... I like Evans always have..

He will really have to bulk up. He can pull off scrawny Steve but Super Soldier Steve ? He will have to tone down his smile and quips.

As for costume... let's not mix Ulitmates and Traditional.

Please !

Original all the way please.

I think he's a better choice than Van Wilder for Green Lantern, anyway.

I think he might surprise us.

On the Evans topic...not happy...not happy at all. Better then some of their other choices but I am still not happy.

I think he might surprise us.
I think Evans could surprise some as well. What some claim to see in Van Wilder that he has yet to demonstrate in any films that I've seen him in (any acting range, for instance), I can see hints of in Evans's work. That's why I'm not going to write him off just yet.

Chris Evans Confirmed for "Captain America"!

It has now been confirmed that Chris Evans (Fantastic Four) will play Steve Rogers, also known as Captain America, in the upcoming Marvel superhero film "The First Avenger: Captain America."

It was previously reported that the actor would get only $300,000 for the film and would have to sign for another nine options for future films, sequels, and spin-offs. Part of the deal is that Evans must reprise the role in "The Avengers," in which Captain America will team with Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and The Incredible Hulk (Edward Norton).

Director Joe Johnston (The Wolfman) is directing "Captain America" and Hugo Weaving has already signed on to play the villain, Red Skull. The new film is scheduled to hit theaters on July 22nd, 2011.

ChrisEvans_0.jpg

Back